35 days into cycle. Nitrites still extremely high. Looks to be going nowhere?

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 25g nano has been at a stand still for weeks now. I’ve had extremely high nitrites for well over 2 weeks now that haven’t gone down at all. Ammonia has been 0 for weeks though. And around 10-20ppm nitrates. I started tank with dry sand and Dead live rock. My theory is the rock I bought had huge amounts of die off and this has delayed my cycle. I can see lots of old algae on it and it did smell when I got it.

ive tried being patient but I’m over it lol would doing water changes speed things up or should I buy some Live rock from my lfs?

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High nitrates due to nitrite affecting test, your cycle is done. My theory after learning from the Cycle Guru, stalling a cycle is not possible.

Did you use any bacteria products, but water change and good to go in my opinion, how high exactly are your nitrites though?

OP
OP
R

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High nitrates due to nitrite affecting test, your cycle is done. My theory after learning from the Cycle Guru, stalling a cycle is not possible.

Did you use any bacteria products, but water change and good to go in my opinion, how high exactly are your nitrites though?

I thought high nitrites are deadly to fish? From what I’ve been reading I’m not cycled yet

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing..

Reading this article, he pit a lot more thought into this than I ever had:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0, nitrite is possibly around 5ppm. nitrates 10-20ppm, salinity 0.026 and temp at 26-27c
Hopefully you meant 1.026

Perform some water changes to get your Nitrites down near to or at zero.
If this doesn't bring your Nitrates down to what you feel is acceptable, clean out whatever filter sponges/socks/sand you have that may be holding you back.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0, nitrite is possibly around 5ppm. nitrates 10-20ppm, salinity 0.026 and temp at 26-27c
Your prob done after 1 month. If the die off on the rock is not causing any ammonia to show with a test, I would not worry about the rock.
Big water change to bring down nitrate. Wait 1 day. Test and you should be ready to go.

OP
OP
R

ReefKing101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your prob done after 1 month. If the die off on the rock is not causing any ammonia to show with a test, I would not worry about the rock.
Big water change to bring down nitrate. Wait 1 day. Test and you should be ready to go.
Ammonia has been zero for weeks now after it reached extremely high from ghost feeding and I assume some die off from the rock but seems stable now. I’ll do a large water change today I think

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back