36 Bowfront

nivie223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and good day!

This is my first forum post and second Saltwater tank. I am really ecstatic to get this build going and am hoping to receive any input from the reefing community. I currently have a 29g Biocube, which I will be slowly breaking down as I build this 36 Bowfront. I made my fair share of mistakes and wasted plenty of cash the first time around, so I'm excited to see how I have improved and grown.
For some background, I am a college student and I started in the hobby about a year ago. Since then I have gotten a job at the best LFS I know, which funds my reefing habit, and I am upping my game and my knowledge base every day. Here is the tank as it was bought from a former hobbyist, and I'll soon update with the tank and its progress once I move into my new apartment.

Current Equipment Build:
Lighting - (1) Ecotech Radion XR15
Flow - (1) Icecap gyre 1k,
ATO - Tunze nano

What am I missing, what else should I be considering? I have somethings noted and lined up for use/purchase, but I'd like to get some input.

I already have a piece of rock that came with the tank (now dead) that is about 10lbs probably. I will be purchasing about 30lbs more dry rock and seeding with a rock either from my previous tank or from my LFS, as well as live sand. I'll be sure to update with my aquascape and pictures in a little under a week. I appreciate any advice and input!

Stocking Plans:
My LFS just got in these beautiful Rose BTAs that I'm hoping to center my tank around. I am aware they can and likely will move, which is why I will be placing the BTA in first to hopefully let it settle down. After that, I will be adding some of the creatures from my first tank and am open to suggestions on others.

Here's what we got so far:
(1) Flametail Blenny
(2) Cinnamon Clownfish
Inverts/CUC:
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
several Nassarius, trochus, and miscellaneous beneficial hitchhikers

I would like to trade in my Cinnamons for some Oscellaris or other clownfish, and other than that everything above will likely go into the 36 Bowfront.
I am thinking finishing off with a Yellow Headed Jawfish, and some more small anemones and maybe some cheap softies.

Thanks for reading, and again input and advice are appreciated.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and good day!

This is my first forum post and second Saltwater tank. I am really ecstatic to get this build going and am hoping to receive any input from the reefing community. I currently have a 29g Biocube, which I will be slowly breaking down as I build this 36 Bowfront. I made my fair share of mistakes and wasted plenty of cash the first time around, so I'm excited to see how I have improved and grown.
For some background, I am a college student and I started in the hobby about a year ago. Since then I have gotten a job at the best LFS I know, which funds my reefing habit, and I am upping my game and my knowledge base every day. Here is the tank as it was bought from a former hobbyist, and I'll soon update with the tank and its progress once I move into my new apartment.

Current Equipment Build:
Lighting - (1) Ecotech Radion XR15
Flow - (1) Icecap gyre 1k,
ATO - Tunze nano

What am I missing, what else should I be considering? I have somethings noted and lined up for use/purchase, but I'd like to get some input.

I already have a piece of rock that came with the tank (now dead) that is about 10lbs probably. I will be purchasing about 30lbs more dry rock and seeding with a rock either from my previous tank or from my LFS, as well as live sand. I'll be sure to update with my aquascape and pictures in a little under a week. I appreciate any advice and input!

Stocking Plans:
My LFS just got in these beautiful Rose BTAs that I'm hoping to center my tank around. I am aware they can and likely will move, which is why I will be placing the BTA in first to hopefully let it settle down. After that, I will be adding some of the creatures from my first tank and am open to suggestions on others.

Here's what we got so far:
(1) Flametail Blenny
(2) Cinnamon Clownfish
Inverts/CUC:
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
several Nassarius, trochus, and miscellaneous beneficial hitchhikers

I would like to trade in my Cinnamons for some Oscellaris or other clownfish, and other than that everything above will likely go into the 36 Bowfront.
I am thinking finishing off with a Yellow Headed Jawfish, and some more small anemones and maybe some cheap softies.

Thanks for reading, and again input and advice are appreciated.
Welcome to R2R! Equipment looks good, whats your filtration going to be? I see flow and lighting and an ATO, but nothing about a skimmer or media bags or anything like that.

As far as the BTA goes, I would seriously wait for quite awhile before adding that. I wouldn't add it first. Tank needs maturity for Nems. Say 3-6 months minimum.

OP
OP
nivie223

nivie223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Equipment looks good, whats your filtration going to be? I see flow and lighting and an ATO, but nothing about a skimmer or media bags or anything like that.

As far as the BTA goes, I would seriously wait for quite awhile before adding that. I wouldn't add it first. Tank needs maturity for Nems. Say 3-6 months minimum.

Got it on the nem, It's not going to go in right away. This tank will have plenty of time to cycle and get itself up and running before anything goes in at all.
I am planning on getting an HOB protein skimmer (unsure which brand yet, have to look again at my options at LFS), and I have a filter with space for media bags that I will be introducing from my old tank as well.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
717CC6ED-61EE-4031-B80F-5F07680205FC.gif

OP
OP
nivie223

nivie223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda lost touch with this thread but here’s a quick update on how this tank has gone:
36E80755-C90F-4F55-A102-175B6E4BE5AA.jpeg

This 36g Bowfront has done very well. It’s been up and running for about 6 months now. It’s got a few mixed frags distributed throughout the rockwork and two racks, and I have just added a Watermelon BTA that has settled nicely into the rockwork between the two clowns.

Lighting:
Radion G4 XR15

Flitration:
Tidal 35 HOB

Flow:
Icecap Gyre 1k

Additional:
Aquatop 9W submersible UV filter with carbon inserts
Tunze Nano ATO

Inhabitants:
1 Flame tail Blenny
1 Picasso Clownfish
1 Onyx Clownfish
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
A handful of Nassarius Snails, Trochus Snails, Astraea Snails, Blue and Red leg Hermit Crabs

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with the Icecap gyre 1k on this tank? I am looking for a gyre for mine.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back