OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a question that pertains to my new build that I’m hoping some guys with 8 foot tanks can help me with. So as far as circulation goes I’m not sure which way to go. One idea is to run an MP 60 on each side of the tank and then two MP 40s on back wall the other would be to run 4 MP 40s on the back wall and leave the sides unobstructed. Mind you this is a FOWLR so flow isn’t as vital as a reef but I would still like decent water movement. So my question is would 4 MP 40s work or am I better off running the two MP 60s??

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did two huge powerheads on each end, then four on the back wall spread evenly and then two returns on the center overflow.

10' tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a question that pertains to my new build that I’m hoping some guys with 8 foot tanks can help me with. So as far as circulation goes I’m not sure which way to go. One idea is to run an MP 60 on each side of the tank and then two MP 40s on back wall the other would be to run 4 MP 40s on the back wall and leave the sides unobstructed. Mind you this is a FOWLR so flow isn’t as vital as a reef but I would still like decent water movement. So my question is would 4 MP 40s work or am I better off running the two MP 60s??
ah flow...the struggle is real.
I currently dont have an 8'er anymore. but If I did I look in to the tunze turbella's I wold think for a FOWLR if a pair on each end would do the trick with the returns hitting the front. they are pretty big tho...and depending where you add them might much up the side viewing.

what about a few Gyres one on each end, then if you need more flow add a couple to the back wall.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah flow...the struggle is real.
I currently dont have an 8'er anymore. but If I did I look in to the tunze turbella's I wold think for a FOWLR if a pair on each end would do the trick with the returns hitting the front. they are pretty big tho...and depending where you add them might much up the side viewing.

what about a few Gyres one on each end, then if you need more flow add a couple to the back wall.
Those are all good options but the acrylic tank has bracing around the top so it would be awkward with the cords. I would basically have to drill access holes in top of bracing for the cords and I’m not real crazy about that idea lol.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all good options but the acrylic tank has bracing around the top so it would be awkward with the cords. I would basically have to drill access holes in top of bracing for the cords and I’m not real crazy about that idea lol.

totally understandable, a guy don't want to go drilling his high dollar tank before it even wet. haha

but I got you covered man. check out this hack from parkers reef...

IDk its an idea. I had and will have another peninsula tank the flow is even harder on get right on those if you dont want a pump on the viewing short end.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally understandable, a guy don't want to go drilling his high dollar tank before it even wet. haha

but I got you covered man. check out this hack from parkers reef...

IDk it’s an idea. I had and will have another peninsula tank the flow is even harder on get right on those if you dont want a pump on the viewing short end.

Dude that’s a pretty cool hack definitely an option to consider. Thanks for sharing the vid!

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plenty for my needs. It was predominately a softy tank with reef safe w/caution fish. I did try some MP40s prior to that and the tank did not have enough flow.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much happening right now. Everything I need for this tank is big $$ lol. And then when you have kids there’s always something else to pay for lol. I’ll definitely post when I make more progress thanks for asking!

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following... any update?
No unfortunately not unless somebody has an extra 1600$ for two MP60s lol. Plus I’m going to switch out the custom lifereef skimmer for two of his smaller models to save space in the sump. There are days when I look at this tank and feel like it’s never going to be set up smh. Sorry not much of an update I’m looking forward to the day when I actually have progress to share. Honestly I look at some of the amazing builds on here and mine feels pretty basic there’s nothing high tech about it lol. Thanks for checking in have a great day!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No unfortunately not unless somebody has an extra 1600$ for two MP60s lol. Plus I’m going to switch out the custom lifereef skimmer for two of his smaller models to save space in the sump. There are days when I look at this tank and feel like it’s never going to be set up smh. Sorry not much of an update I’m looking forward to the day when I actually have progress to share. Honestly I look at some of the amazing builds on here and mine feels pretty basic there’s nothing high tech about it lol. Thanks for checking in have a great day!

I know how it is I have been working on a RS 300 for 5 months still no water...

but here is a thought. get a cpl jebao SCP cross flow pumps to get you by for the 1st year or two. get the tank up and cyceld and running then upgrade to the MP60s and you will have back up just in case.
IDK just a thought. I know we all want to top of the line gear from the get go but its a option.

the SCP 180 gyre will give you " Assume 6736 to 9642 GPH (Cross Flow for Whole Tank) " not to bad for $169 bucks.

so you decided to go 2 skimmers vs one large one? cool.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how it is I have been working on a RS 300 for 5 months still no water...

but here is a thought. get a cpl jebao SCP cross flow pumps to get you by for the 1st year or two. get the tank up and cyceld and running then upgrade to the MP60s and you will have back up just in case.
IDK just a thought. I know we all want to top of the line gear from the get go but its a option.

the SCP 180 gyre will give you " Assume 6736 to 9642 GPH (Cross Flow for Whole Tank) " not to bad for $169 bucks.

so you decided to go 2 skimmers vs one large one? cool.
I hear you and there’s a lot of merit to what you’re saying but I’m a big believer in buy once cry once and with the top bracing on top of tank corded equipment is kind of a pain lol. And as far as as skimmer goes I finally got it in the stand with sump and the more I looked at it there’s just very little room to do anything in that chamber so I talked to Jeff and he said he would swap out the bigger skimmer for two smaller vs3-24 skimmers which will give me a lot more room in the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back