3d print or Epoxy

porkchop-rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make (or have made) two magnetic cord clamps. I have a LARGE acrylic eurobrace that cannot be drilled. The cord hanging in the tank is unsightly. I want to be able to "Clamp" the cord to the top and bottom of the eurobrace and then let it hang down against the back panel as expected.

Can this be created using 3d printing (can the magnets be safely enclosed via 3d printing? Is anyone interested in helping me make these? I have access to a 3d printer, but it would require me to pre-design and use up a favor from the cache! LOL.

OR

Do i need to get some magnets and epoxy and start building forms? I'm struggling with how to accurately suspend the magnets in the mold. Multiple pours would be necessary...and then drilling and cutting into parts, I suppose.

Please see the drawing below, don't laugh....I am not artist or CAD person!

IMG_4743.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way would work but if it were me I would probably 3D print it. You can embed magnets in a 3D print pretty easy and it will be dimensionally accurate and if printed right water tight. But if you already have epoxy on hand it would be quick to build up a form, magnets down and you could find a straw or piece of tubing cut in half to give you the arch for the cable, so no drilling. Pour in an 1/8th or so of material let it sit until almost solid(should say how long on the package) place the magnets and finish the pour.

OP
OP
porkchop-rob

porkchop-rob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in an uncommon turn of events....My wife just walked by and "corrected" me. She wants MP-40s. She hates cords in the tank, budget be dang'd! LOL

I still plan to make a couple of these as i am sure I'll end up with extra auxiliary powerbeads in this tank eventually.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back