3D printed Radion XR30 bracket for max Nano

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all,
Has anyone printed this bracket to hold a XR30 on a Red Sea Max Nano? Would love pictures and advice. I’m planning on picking up a 3D printer specifically to print this bracket. Thanks!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an expensive bracket. Plus I would be concerned with the plastic not holding up to clamping and pulling weight.

tried and true option, and works on G1-G5

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the reply AZ, I think you are misunderstanding my thread title....I’m not looking to print the whole XR30 bracket. I’m going to use the Ecotech bracket, just printing a adapter that allows the Ecotech bracket to fit the Max Nano tank. It’s already tried and true, just looking for someone who has already done it for advice.
B963FA03-13D2-4E7C-89D5-3610AF7A6467.png

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I purchased a Ender 3 Pro and printed the part with PETG and it came out beautifully. Now I can attach a full XR30 G5 to my Red Sea Max Nano using the Ecotech RMS bracket securely. Thanks to Robin Malpas (maas101 on thingiverse) for creating this. It’s brilliant!

3F49522D-68C4-402F-9C41-C60940C07BDB.jpeg

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I purchased a Ender 3 Pro and printed the part with PETG and it came out beautifully. Now I can attach a full XR30 G5 to my Red Sea Max Nano using the Ecotech RMS bracket securely. Thanks to Robin Malpas (maas101 on thingiverse) for creating this. It’s brilliant!

3F49522D-68C4-402F-9C41-C60940C07BDB.jpeg

Any reason why you chose the XR30 over the XR-15? Figured the XR-15 was more than enough for the nano for anything, was debating upgrading

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any reason why you chose the XR30 over the XR-15? Figured the XR-15 was more than enough for the nano for anything, was debating upgrading
Not sure how I missed answering this, I apologize and better late than never in case anyone else is wondering. I’m sure the Xr15 will work for quite a while.

At the time I bought the xr30 for complete coverage after seeing a bunch of amazing sps nano tanks on Instagram which all had a similar technique……2x the lighting coverage recommended. I had faster growth, better color and higher PH due to the stronger lighting, so I never looked back.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I missed answering this, I apologize and better late than never in case anyone else is wondering. I’m sure the Xr15 will work for quite a while.

At the time I bought the xr30 for complete coverage after seeing a bunch of amazing sps nano tanks on Instagram which all had a similar technique……2x the lighting coverage recommended. I had faster growth, better color and higher PH due to the stronger lighting, so I never looked back.
And how did you mount it?
Sorry, now I see it.. u did this 3D print.. dang

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, I printed it on a ender pro. It’s a great design and extremely sturdy. I even modified it to easily fit a kessil Ap9x.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I am not a 3D print dude and never had anything to do with 3D prints..
Wouldnt you say it is possible to attach the XR15 somehow to the original AI Prime Mount?

Yes it’s possible.. I originally cut a Radion mount flat near the mounting point and drilled two small holes in it and screwed a sanding drill bit to it that fit into the original hole. It was sturdy and worked for a year with no issues till I seen the 3D print. I’m sure if you ask ,someone is from your area on here and would print you that bracket. I would if you were close to me.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s possible.. I originally cut a Radion mount flat near the mounting point and drilled two small holes in it and screwed a sanding drill bit to it that fit into the original hole. It was sturdy and worked for a year with no issues till I seen the 3D print. I’m sure if you ask ,someone is from your area on here and would print you that bracket. I would if you were close to me.
Ok, I need to re-read that with the original AI arm.. English is sometimes ahrd to understand technically for me :p
Thanks mate - appreciate your help! Unfortunately I am from switzerland :D

Do you have a pic of that first solution you had for a year?

I mean I could just get this thing here:

And then I could screw a hole in the middle of the original arm and the mount system and drill.. or what do you think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry, I didn’t explain that well. I used a Ecotech Radion arm and modified it by cutting it and attaching a drill bit to fit the max nano hole that the AI arm fit into. I’ll see if I can find a old photo of it.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn’t explain that well. I used a Ecotech Radion arm and modified it by cutting it and attaching a drill bit to fit the max nano hole that the AI arm fit into. I’ll see if I can find a old photo of it.
nice brother, would appreciate that!
Why nobody thinks of mounting the arm onto the Rotatable Rear Sump Screen?
Isnt that thing stable enough?

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t believe it is….those clips the screen mount to are fragile over time imo. I tried it all, the 3D print is the way to go. It feels and looks like it came from Red Sea.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it is….those clips the screen mount to are fragile over time imo. I tried it all, the 3D print is the way to go. It feels and looks like it came from Red Sea.
Thing is... I cannot move the tank as it stands on a wall.. how should I drill something into it now? :D dang!
Maybe ima just mount it on the side... dunno what else..
I could hang it yeah..

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well you can always rectify that by getting a 3D printed mount and have screw driver ready. Get (3) 5 gallon .buckets, empty tank with about 3 inches water on bottom of tank. Slide tank out, install new 3D mount and either leave tank pushed out or push back in place and refill tank with those 5 gallon buckets. I just moved my tank to a new stand and did this.

A9EEF937-65DE-4B9F-9186-AE57349E91E1.jpeg

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah I think so.. just not too sure how good I can handle that.
Btw. those original RMS mount kits for the Radions are crazy expensive wow..
Thats seems kinda rip off..

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back