3D printing filament

snyderman99

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2025
Messages
102
Reaction score
18
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any tips for 3D printing items for my reef tank? What filament to use and if you coat it after?
 
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any tips for 3D printing items for my reef tank? What filament to use and if you coat it after?
I use petg. Pla is plant based (and compostable), and will degrade in the right conditions. No coating required.
 
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any tips for 3D printing items for my reef tank? What filament to use and if you coat it after?
I use petg. Pla is plant based (and compostable), and will degrade in the right conditions. No coating required.
Do you infill 100% or do you do less and it’ll still sink?
 
Do you infill 100% or do you do less and it’ll still sink?
I do 100% for sinking like frag racks, etc. but it might be possible if you use the right infill pattern to do less. It’ll also depend on the size of the print too.
 
Guys, where's a good place to find files for aquarium stuff to 3d print? Or, do you guys design your own stuff with software? I don't have a printer, but a friend recently got one.
 
Guys, where's a good place to find files for aquarium stuff to 3d print? Or, do you guys design your own stuff with software? I don't have a printer, but a friend recently got one.
I mostly design, but Thingiverse, Printables, and Cult3d are a few. I also upload designs to Bambulab Makerworld and Thingiverse.
 
I mostly design, but Thingiverse, Printables, and Cult3d are a few. I also upload designs to Bambulab Makerworld and Thingiverse.
Thanks, Matt!
 
Hey everyone! Does anyone have any tips for 3D printing items for my reef tank? What filament to use and if you coat it after?
For a reef tank, the biggest concerns are the safety of the corals and fish, as well as durability in saltwater. PETG is better than PLA—it is more chemically resistant, more durable, and still relatively easy to print. To protect the filament and prevent leaching, it’s wise to coat your prints with epoxy resin or a food-safe, aquarium-safe sealant. This creates a barrier between the filament and the saltwater, improving both longevity and safety.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new