3D Printing Startup for Noobs

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I'm considering getting into 3D printing to make some custom aquarium parts for myself and other local hobbyists as a side hobby but I'm not too sure where to start TBH, or if it would be worth while. I'm not looking to make money but I would at least like it to be self-sustaining via selling some parts cheap to other hobbyists vs. a second money pit.

A few questions:

Printer: Any quality budget printer recommendations (<$500)? I'm thinking of something like this though I'm not sure if it would suit my objectives to print misc. aquarium parts. Does having a $1000+ printer give any significant edge in printing vs. this one for $250?

Filament: I've read PET, PETG, and ABS are all generally reef safe. Besides cost, is there any durability/strength (ex. filter sock holder bend breaking) or quality (finish/appearance) pro's vs cons for each material type?

Software: Is it reasonable to expect that I could design parts using free software vs. needing a $500+ license for Solidworks etc.? I can't see myself printing at a large enough scale anytime soon to justify paying a bunch for software.

Budget: Is $500 reasonable for all-in to get started or are there other costs I am overlooking?

thanks

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with my prusa mini+, the main difference between cheaper and (some) more expensive printers will be reliability and consistency out of the box. The other difference will be print volume, which limits how large of a thing you can print but also how many copies you can print in parallel. If you want something that can do anything then go with a well rated larger model, if you want to start small and go from there, get a mini model. If you want true commercial grade production capacity go for one of the new treadmill models that can effectively keep printing until they run out of filament!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I'm considering getting into 3D printing to make some custom aquarium parts for myself and other local hobbyists as a side hobby but I'm not too sure where to start TBH, or if it would be worth while. I'm not looking to make money but I would at least like it to be self-sustaining via selling some parts cheap to other hobbyists vs. a second money pit.

A few questions:

Printer: Any quality budget printer recommendations (<$500)? I'm thinking of something like this though I'm not sure if it would suit my objectives to print misc. aquarium parts. Does having a $1000+ printer give any significant edge in printing vs. this one for $250?

Filament: I've read PET, PETG, and ABS are all generally reef safe. Besides cost, is there any durability/strength (ex. filter sock holder bend breaking) or quality (finish/appearance) pro's vs cons for each material type?

Software: Is it reasonable to expect that I could design parts using free software vs. needing a $500+ license for Solidworks etc.? I can't see myself printing at a large enough scale anytime soon to justify paying a bunch for software.

Budget: Is $500 reasonable for all-in to get started or are there other costs I am overlooking?

thanks

Hello!

So I do something similar with 3D printing (HarrysAquatics) that I started several years ago. It went pretty well as the part-time business paid for my tuition, a car, reefing hobby, and then some. Since then I started a full time job and the 3D printing has mostly dried up.

These days it is much more difficult to maintain a 3D printing business. The market is very saturated with hundreds of hobbyists that are racing towards the cheapest prices and reducing margins for each other. If you come up with a design, a week later someone else will start offering it at 30% cheaper.

3D printing in itself is *not* a business model any more than "Start a business". Anyone can walk into MicroCenter and buy a starter printer for $100. You first need to have unique designs that are in high demand, and then advertise the product on forums and FB groups. Preferably the design would have a complex element that is more difficult to copy, or you build branding so people choose your option as opposed to others.

Printer: I used Prusa MK3s, but there are many models that are suitable. Although some may encourage you to get a large printer, large 3D printed designs are very hard to sell based on a print-hour cost. A Prusa Mini is a good compromise. Or there are dozens of models on Amazon that work fine.

Filament: Everyone uses PETG. PLA degrades in salt water, and ABS releases nasty fumes when printing. TPU (flexible) is also fine if the design requires it.

Software: The best design software IMO is Autodesk Fusion 360, which is free to students, hobbyists, AND startups making below 100k. It is more intuitive than Solidworks and has the same capabilities.

Budget: $500 is totally reasonable to get started. The software will be free, and $500 can get you an excellent printer, filament, etc.

Feel free to message me with any questions you have

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with my prusa mini+, the main difference between cheaper and (some) more expensive printers will be reliability and consistency out of the box. The other difference will be print volume, which limits how large of a thing you can print but also how many copies you can print in parallel. If you want something that can do anything then go with a well rated larger model, if you want to start small and go from there, get a mini model. If you want true commercial grade production capacity go for one of the new treadmill models that can effectively keep printing until they run out of filament!

Thank you.

In terms of output, I’d say no rush. I’d be fine printing a part every day. If I ever got to a commercial level I could definitely increase my budget for a higher capacity printer. For size, I think mostly small parts - sock holders, dosing tube holders etc. cant think of anything over 6” I’d want to print.

OP
OP
W

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

So I do something similar with 3D printing (HarrysAquatics) that I started several years ago. It went pretty well as the part-time business paid for my tuition, a car, reefing hobby, and then some. Since then I started a full time job and the 3D printing has mostly dried up.

These days it is much more difficult to maintain a 3D printing business. The market is very saturated with hundreds of hobbyists that are racing towards the cheapest prices and reducing margins for each other. If you come up with a design, a week later someone else will start offering it at 30% cheaper.

3D printing in itself is *not* a business model any more than "Start a business". Anyone can walk into MicroCenter and buy a starter printer for $100. You first need to have unique designs that are in high demand, and then advertise the product on forums and FB groups. Preferably the design would have a complex element that is more difficult to copy, or you build branding so people choose your option as opposed to others.

Printer: I used Prusa MK3s, but there are dozens of models that are suitable. Although some may encourage you to get a large printer, large 3D printed designs are very hard to sell based on a print-hour cost. A Prusa Mini is a good compromise. Or there are dozens of models on Amazon that work fine.

Filament: Everyone uses PETG. PLA degrades in salt water, and ABS releases nasty fumes when printing. TPU (flexible) is also fine if the design requires it.

Software: The best design software IMO is Autodesk Fusion 360, which is free to students, hobbyists, AND startups making below 100k. It is more intuitive than Solidworks and has the same capabilities.

Budget: $500 is totally reasonable to get started. The software will be free, and $500 can get you an excellent printer, filament, etc.

Feel free to message me with any questions you have
Thank you.

Great to hear on the software.

I often find myself looking for 3d parts and can never quite find exactly what I want. I’m mostly looking for simplistic and functional parts, nothing people couldn’t copy easily if they really wanted. Maybe eventually more complex parts but at least not until I can get the actual printing down (probably avoid threaded or snap-on parts initially). I’d probably start with custom Waterbox accessories or something along those line as that’s my current tank lol

Im not looking to replace or even supplement my day job but I also don’t want to be loosing money giving away parts. $500-$1000 or so per year would be great to coverage materials and put some away for printer depreciation, upgrades etc.

pendulum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love 3d printing and have 3 printers. I have two creality and one generic. They all print equal to each other. There may be more profiles and tinkering "may" be less on a brand name printer. But know, they all need tweaking from time to time.

Plan to play with and tweak your settings on start up. None are just turn key with zero adjustments needed.

One caveat- be sure to buy on with or add a pei flexible build plate to your printer. A metal scraper, rushing, time will equal a hospital visit and sutures. A flex plate is awesome!

PETG is the way to go. Cheap filament leads to problems. I LOVE prusa filiment, it is worth it.

If you are new to cad. I highly recommend tinkercad as a start. it is designed as a beginner/kid program. It has a ton of functionality and is free. Complex items can be made. Here is one that I created while learning tinker cad. I'm sure that fusion 360 would have been easier had I known the basics. But tinkercad gave me the basic concepts to better grasp fusion 360.
Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 6.46.56 PM.png

OP
OP
W

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love 3d printing and have 3 printers. I have two creality and one generic. They all print equal to each other. There may be more profiles and tinkering "may" be less on a brand name printer. But know, they all need tweaking from time to time.

Plan to play with and tweak your settings on start up. None are just turn key with zero adjustments needed.

One caveat- be sure to buy on with or add a pei flexible build plate to your printer. A metal scraper, rushing, time will equal a hospital visit and sutures. A flex plate is awesome!

PETG is the way to go. Cheap filament leads to problems. I LOVE prusa filiment, it is worth it.

If you are new to cad. I highly recommend tinkercad as a start. it is designed as a beginner/kid program. It has a ton of functionality and is free. Complex items can be made. Here is one that I created while learning tinker cad. I'm sure that fusion 360 would have been easier had I known the basics. But tinkercad gave me the basic concepts to better grasp fusion 360.

Thank you for your insight.

Do you think this Creality printer would be a solid starter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H9NQWR4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1CJB5SYI9X4XC&psc=1

Plus this flex plate? I assume a flex plate is to prevent the the print from sticking to the printer?

I’m experienced with AutoCad though have limited experience with 3D modeling though I’d assume I’d have a lesser learning curve than someone with zero CAD experience.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think this Creality printer would be a solid starter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H9NQWR4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1CJB5SYI9X4XC&psc=1

Plus this flex plate? I assume a flex plate is to prevent the the print from sticking to the printer?

I’m experienced with AutoCad though have limited experience with 3D modeling though I’d assume I’d have a lesser learning curve than someone with zero CAD experience.

That model has been out for like 4-5 years. I would suggest looking on their site at the newer releases of the Ender line.

pendulum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ender 3 has been out for a while and is well supported in 3d print communities: upgrades, profiles etc. It is a good in expensive choice.
regarding flex plate, the one you showed isn't pei. The two key features would be pei and flexible magnetic plate

i would recommend one like this:

Also need to think about slicer- prusaslicer is free, has ender3 profiles and a good place to start. I mostly use simplify3d which isn't free, but prusaslicer didn't exist when i started 3d printing. If i started now, i would start with prusaslicer and may switch when i have time to tinker.

OP
OP
W

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That model has been out for like 4-5 years. I would suggest looking on their site at the newer releases of the Ender line.
Are there any you’d recommend around $300? Not really sure what the difference is between most of them despite drastically different prices . I know you mentioned the Prusa Mini though that’s probably near the upper end of what I’d want to spend.

Also, worth waiting until Black Friday? Not sure how much of a sale printers typically go on.

OP
OP
W

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on Ender 3 Pro if I can get it for $100 new? I understand it may not be ideal, but i don’t think I can go wrong for $100 as a starter printer.

Alexwlwsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any you’d recommend around $300? Not really sure what the difference is between most of them despite drastically different prices . I know you mentioned the Prusa Mini though that’s probably near the upper end of what I’d want to spend.

Also, worth waiting until Black Friday? Not sure how much of a sale printers typically go on.

Just picked up an Ender 3 S1 on Saturday and it's been great so far. From my understanding it's essentially an Ender 3 with every common mod already installed.

It doesn't look like it's on sale anymore, but over the weekend it was $300 so I'm willing to bet if you wait a little bit you'll get lucky.

oredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a 3d printer for just about any budget, you just have to come to it with the understanding and acceptance that it's a tinkerer's hobby, and WILL require maintenance and tinkering - but you're already into reefing, so it should fall right in step.

regarding the specific printer, as already mentioned, if you live anywhere near a microcenter, it's nearly impossible to beat a brand new Ender 3 pro for 99 bucks (not their everyday price, but they run the sale at least once a quarter). The also often have open box buys of the same printer for even cheaper.

if you're looking at the $500 range, i would HIGHLY recommend the newish ender 3 s1 pro. I recently tested this, and was VERY impressed by the performance right out the box. The new creality direct drive is really nice. In my personal opinion, this is probably the biggest threat to Prusa MK3 right now, it's cheaper and better in every way. it'll also be ready to print PETG, ASA, ABS, and TPU without any additional modifications - the same thing can not be said about any of the other printers that are cheaper.

for reference, I currently own / have running : (2) ender 3 pro, ender 3 v2, ender 3 v2 neo, ender 3 s1 pro, ender 5, cr-10, cr-10s, and a tronxy x5sa-400.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back