3D printing

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I got a 3D printer a few months ago and have made several things. Most of it has been downloaded off of thingiverse but I am learning to design a little bit. I bought a "nemo light" for my dwarf seahorse tank and I needed a much larger clamp to attach it than the one supplied so I just made one. Should have used black to match but I don't think I have enough left to do the whole print. Any other ideas for useful reef stuff to print? Btw, I know the tank is dirty. Just found a skimmer that would fit and going to do some cleaning today.
e07e216f8e6dfebe9de3f90740d21536.jpg

sirmixa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that's exactly why I want one of those. Sorry, I didn't realize this was local club post, that I'm near, but I love those things

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty slick.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. Those could be done pretty easily I'd say.

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on the back burner right now, but I am working on designing a frag holder held to the glass by magnets so you can adjust the height in regards to light and flow. Kind of a frag nursery.

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filament are you using (i.e. PLA, ABS, Nylon, PET, etc)?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABS. I have the basic design, but I learned that Google Sketchup doesn't talk nicely with my Makerbot printer. I just need to sit down and learn Meshlab.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the ones pictured are PLA. I have used ABS, PETG, and TPU also depending on what I'm printing.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I upgraded my printer to a Rostock Max V3 after Christmas and have been printing all kinds of stuff. I actually printed the parts to an RC plane but haven't found the time to put it all together. Anyway, I got tired of trying to find a place for my Milwaukee refractometer and always misplacing the dropper so I designed and printed a holder for them. I've attached it to the new clownfish fry rack I'm building. It's centrally located to all the tanks so maybe I'll remember to put it back. Lol
IMG_1444.JPG

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed some pipe hangers for my clownfish breeding setup that would be spaced from the wood frame just the right distance so the drains from each tank would line up. I could have made a trip to lowes and rigged something up but I decided to design and print some while we were at the meeting last night. Turned out pretty good.
20170219_133328.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty amazing! I still don't understand how 3D printers work, but what I see from them is nothing but amazing. I might want one of these "toys"...but I'm sure the wife will have something to say about it, lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back