3rd Times the Charm Reefer 350

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years of hiatus I am back into the hobby. I decided to do things a bit slower this time and not rush into things like my previous 2 tanks. Especially since I finally got my wife on board (makes a world of a difference).

I’m hoping to follow the WWC/BRS hybrid method throughout the first year of the tank. Trying to keep things as simple as possible so I don’t feel trapped to the tank. Also because we are expecting our first child in a couple months. Some might say it’s bad timing while I say it’s the perfect time!

The tank came in very well packed. I was incredibly surprised. Nothing in that box was moving that's for sure. It took 1 1/2 hours to put the stand together by myself. I made a time lapse video of me putting it together.

The tank itself wasn't super heavy. It took 2 of us to get it up the stairs and into my home office. For placement it's going right by my desk since I work from home full time. It's going to be real nice being able to turn around and enjoy it. It was fairly easy putting in all the plumbing and getting it all in there. For now I just put together the skimmer, return pump and just placed them. I'm still going back and forth on removing the filter sock section and put in a roller. I'm sure I'll figure that out before I get the tank wet. I know people hate filter socks but I genuinely never minded them. I used to have a full weeks worth of them on my last tank so I just swapped them out every morning.

For now the tank will be primarily LPS/Softies with a couple higher end anemones (I absolutely loved my CSB). While that's the plan I know things always change therefore I'm trying to set myself up for success by not having to buy another set of lights. Same with the wave makers. It's more expensive to slowly upgrade as opposed to just waiting a little bit and getting the right equipment the first time. That's not always the case with changing things but that's my approach!

I would love some feedback with regards to my aquascape.

Without further ado...

Current Equipment:

RS Reefer 350
RS RSK300 Skimmer
Vectra M2 Return Pump
Finnex Titanium Heater and controller

Future Equipment:

Ecotech XR15W Pro x2
VorTech MP40WQD x2
Algae Scrubber
Versa Pumps (AWC)
AI Fuge Light

IMG_3905.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3915.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3888.jpeg
IMG_3891.jpeg

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Awesome !!! Nice setup. Like the rock scape. Following along.. By the way, Welcome to R2R.

Thank you! I've gone back and forth quite a bit on the scape. Pretty sure that won't be the final look but it'll be close.

Make sure everything is level, both before, during, and after filling the tank.

It's something I'm definitely doing throughout the process. Luckily, this is a brand new build home and I made sure everything was level throughout the process. Doesn't mean I won't keep checking it up until it's filled though!

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the rock into the tank.. I'm not sure I'm feeling it anymore. It feels a little chunky to me. A little thrown off on what to do. Doesn't seem like there might be enough space. Of course I want enough space for coral placement down the line but also enough free space for the fish to swim freely.

Open to suggestions!

IMG_3935.jpeg
IMG_3941.jpeg

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time this weekend getting the rock ready. Rock was rinsed and dried. Both tanks prior to this I didn't take the time to do this step since I was in such a rush. Can't believe the extra sand and crap I was putting in before. Very happy I didn't skip this step this time. Even if you're in a rush do it!

Afterwards, I decided to redo the scape. For inspiration I watched Blue Planet II and Coastal Sea's episode of Our Planet. My goal was to make it feel a little natural and less like a bunch of rocks which is probably the hardest thing to do. I think I came as close as I could while adding my own personal style.

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some back and forth I've finalized the scape. I wasn't happy with the previous mid-section. The bundle of rocks on the left is actually an arch that's tilted. Clearly I'm a fan of arches lol. Don't mind that ugly jebao pump. It's only there to help mix the salt.

4C722142-8B8C-4DDC-8F55-0A2FD8472064_1_105_c.jpeg

BAFB8A31-E5C2-492A-94EB-9804923F4903_1_105_c.jpeg

I added @Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG dual nozzles for a bit more random flow. Sand, bacteria, RODI unit all come in today. Today might be the day I get to start filling her up!

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're off to a great start! I like your rock-work. Also, congratulations on having a significant other that's on board with you in the hobby—that can be quite a challenge to overcome.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :)

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! What are you going to use to hold the rocks together? I just built my aquascape with E-Marco 400 and that stuff is just awesome.

Thank you! I used reef glue to glue them together. For the most part they all "clicked" into place. I used the glue to reinforce that. Hopefully it's enough!

You're off to a great start! I like your rock-work. Also, congratulations on having a significant other that's on board with you in the hobby—that can be quite a challenge to overcome.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :)

Thank you! She's reluctantly on board but it gets better every day. Having her input with all of my decisions regarding the tank has turned out to be a huge pro. She's not happy about the costs but when I explain why equipment A is better than B she begins to see the bigger picture and typically signs off.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some back and forth I've finalized the scape. I wasn't happy with the previous mid-section. The bundle of rocks on the left is actually an arch that's tilted. Clearly I'm a fan of arches lol. Don't mind that ugly jebao pump. It's only there to help mix the salt.

4C722142-8B8C-4DDC-8F55-0A2FD8472064_1_105_c.jpeg

BAFB8A31-E5C2-492A-94EB-9804923F4903_1_105_c.jpeg

I added @Vivid Creative Aquatics RFG dual nozzles for a bit more random flow. Sand, bacteria, RODI unit all come in today. Today might be the day I get to start filling her up!
The Aquscape looks great - love the arch. Are you planning on gluing this or does it all sort of fit together snugly?

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquscape looks great - love the arch. Are you planning on gluing this or does it all sort of fit together snugly?

Thank you! I'm a huge fan of arches. It's always fun to watch the fish zip around and through them.

While it all mostly fit together snug I added Reef glue for additional strength. Can never be too careful.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm a huge fan of arches. It's always fun to watch the fish zip around and through them.

While it all mostly fit together snug I added Reef glue for additional strength. Can never be too careful.
Iike arches too, and I convinced think fish love them as well. If you have ever re-scaped a tank and added an arch, it's funny, because fish will seek the arch out and just swim through it for fun - LOL

Kiteboarder85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape of your rocks, nicely finished. I am in the same boat as you, I had 2 tanks with my last being 5 years ago since selling. I just ordered a RSR350 Deluxe and picking up the pallet on Monday. I plan to take my time through the process this go around as I want to do more corals than my previous tanks. I'll be following this thread to see your progress. Cheers!

OP
OP
SpaceAgeCoder

SpaceAgeCoder

Art of Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the scape of your rocks, nicely finished. I am in the same boat as you, I had 2 tanks with my last being 5 years ago since selling. I just ordered a RSR350 Deluxe and picking up the pallet on Monday. I plan to take my time through the process this go around as I want to do more corals than my previous tanks. I'll be following this thread to see your progress. Cheers!

Thank you. Will you be starting a build thread? I'd love to follow the progress on yours as well. Are you planning on going full blown sps or mixed?

Kiteboarder85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Will you be starting a build thread? I'd love to follow the progress on yours as well. Are you planning on going full blown sps or mixed?

I do plan on making a build thread with the Redsea 350. This is my first higher end tank and I'll probably be more enthusiastic about sharing updates. My first tank was a small Bionano system back in 07'. My second was a 54 Gal column tank which was a cheap Petsmart purchase that I added cheaper plumbing and accessories to. Again, these were mostly for fish only, so running these took little time and less water quality. They still looked great in the end, however now that I have a starting platform on the Red Sea Reefer 350....its going to be a fun experience spending more $ and time into it.

Tank.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back