3rd try at a Lineatus Fairy, 3rd strike

Onyxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Friends,

longtime lerker, and have gained a lot of knowledge here the last ten years.

So as the title says, this is my third try at a Lineatus Fairy Wrasse. The previous two did well for about a month and then the tell-tale barrel rolling, hunger strike and passing.

First one died in copper treatment, literally overnight barrel rolling and jammed itself in the rock work and died overnight. Second one died in QT also, but after 4 weeks of observation and “fattening up” for treatment, erratic swimming, barrel rolls, dead in 2 weeks. Mind you, the Golden Rhomboid, Yellow Flank and Red Fin fairies all made it through treatment, no issues.

this third one, this time I saw it coming. Sadly, I got an eye for these things now, and pinpointed the exact day probably within the hour when it’s swimming became “off”. He was alone in QT, No meds added. Started feeding gc+focus for internal parasites and boom. The “off” swimming started two days later.

Started the usual cocktail, bifuran, kannaplex and epsom...he stopped eating 2 days ago. I’ll say this, 4 years ago, I nursed a yellow flank Fairy wrasse back from barrel rolls, following @Humblefish’S directions in the past. Astonishing how well it worked but it was more likely constipation with that fish...these three Lineatus...im chalking up to improper decompression causing swim bladder issues or spinal.

Anyways, I’ll continue with the antibiotic cocktail, and I’m going to actually sedate and tube feed about a week not eating. I’ve had zero luck with Lineatus wrasses, I’m going to try new strategies to try and heal this guy...if it works, I’ll share.

BUT my question...the attached picture is new to me. I found some dark/black patches this evening around the anal fin. At first I thought black Ich...any thoughts? Thank you for your time.

(notes: I QT everything, QT is a 60gallon split system...and treat with meds prophylactically. Honestly, this fish is my “white whale” so to speak....the one I really want, but haven’t been able to “catch”. I have 9 fairy wrasses, in a 200G, relative peace.)

263EF281-A438-4F2B-9EA4-50722BBBF041.png

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blotchy randomness of the black spots makes me think of hyper melanization, usally a response to physical trauma although I'm unsure how it would have achieved that on its belly like that.

Hopefully people with more experience chime in. Sorry your having such a hard time getting a lineatus through QT :(

OP
OP
O

Onyxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blotchy randomness of the black spots makes me think of hyper melanization, usally a response to physical trauma although I'm unsure how it would have achieved that on its belly like that.

Hopefully people with more experience chime in. Sorry your having such a hard time getting a lineatus through QT :(

thank you! Yes, strange really. He’s in a bucket with a pvc fitting...wonder if he damaged himself swimming erratically and slamming into that? Hmmm.

thank you...I’m probably gonna take a break on this fish...but being in Canada, since the pandemic they haven’t been coming in to often anyway. Bob Fenner (RIP) always recommended freshwater dip and no QT on these fairies because it increases the chances of physical injury or med related problems. I’ve never taken his advice but experiences like these make me think that maybe the way to go.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...any other educated guesses?
I dont know what that was on your wrasse but i wanted to share the anxiety of my forth attempt [just went in today] Did your last attempt work out? This will have to be my last. Two spinal barrel rollers and one small female (was very promising) died from bacterial infection Not addressed quick enough. Anyway, hope you got through your trials.

OP
OP
O

Onyxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what that was on your wrasse but i wanted to share the anxiety of my forth attempt [just went in today] Did your last attempt work out? This will have to be my last. Two spinal barrel rollers and one small female (was very promising) died from bacterial infection Not addressed quick enough. Anyway, hope you got through your trials.
It did not make it lol. Guess I shouldn’t lol, beautiful animal that I’m having a miserable time getting into my collection. I have so many fairy wrasses, rhomboids and flame fairies but this one alludes me.

I’m giving it one more go tomorrow. Found one locally probably shipped from Quality Marine via my LFS in Toronto.

if this one doesn’t make it, going to wait until direct from Aussie specimens are back again after Covid allows for more shipments to come in. Don’t know who’s collecting for QM but it’s been barrel rolling nightmare, probably poor collection methods.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not make it lol. Guess I shouldn’t lol, beautiful animal that I’m having a miserable time getting into my collection. I have so many fairy wrasses, rhomboids and flame fairies but this one alludes me.

I’m giving it one more go tomorrow. Found one locally probably shipped from Quality Marine via my LFS in Toronto.

if this one doesn’t make it, going to wait until direct from Aussie specimens are back again after Covid allows for more shipments to come in. Don’t know who’s collecting for QM but it’s been barrel rolling nightmare, probably poor collection methods.
I'm on my fourth try and just woke up to my orange back dead as winter. Lineatus still in there. Pro tip, watch any filter material in QT. I pin Pinky Filters to the sides. The orange back got caught up in it :( Great start to the day. Good luck buddy. You'll get it this time. Let us know how it turns out..

Travis

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back