OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Captain SkimJim for the results you are sharing! Please continue to share. I am going to change the schedule on my frag tank. Any thoughts on a 5 on, 7 off, 5 on, 7 off ?
Cheers! Mark
Do what you think is best

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP here. JAN 18th

Still loving this lighting sched 6-6-6-6

Zoas and Palys all still w i d e open like lil satellite dishes just sucking up the light.

Seeing NO reason to change. And actually seeing LESS algae bc my lights aren't roasting the tank for 10hrs straight.

The way I'm seeing it, the coral is getting what it needs in two 6hrs photo periods and not one long straight run at 10hrs

Fish are well adjusted and eating like hogs.

To review for those still paying attn
6am to noon ON
Noon to 6pm OFF
6pm to midnight ON
Midnight to 6am OFF

Nothing in the tank is sleep deprived.... as a lot of you are concerned about. Fish acting normal, alert when the lights are ON, all gather when I approach the tank for feeding.... they've all memorized my feeding actions.

No lethargic activity, no flared fins, no fighting with each other.....but they still argue on Friday Nite Poker Night playing poker together. They bet using empty hermit crab shells

Thinking about this - there is really no difference in this light pattern than for example a bright sunny day - with intermittent thick clouds. For in Indonesia daylight (full daylight) - is from 5:51 to 6:16 PM - with various levels of twilight extending these times. I personally use a gradual ramp up starting at 8AM ending at 10PM - with clouds set in the light program - probably does the same thing

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about this - there is really no difference in this light pattern than for example a bright sunny day - with intermittent thick clouds. For in Indonesia daylight (full daylight) - is from 5:51 to 6:16 PM - with various levels of twilight extending these times. I personally use a gradual ramp up starting at 8AM ending at 10PM - with clouds set in the light program - probably does the same thing
Yeah, I think the key here is to get a schedule closest to 4/8/4/8 schedule as this experiment’s premise is that coral’s optimal light absorption maxes out at 4 hours and need to rest for 8 thereby giving double photo period in one day. So if the premise were true and there truly is benefit then there would be diminishing benefits the further you deviate from the 4/8/4/8 schedule.

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I was thinking that in order to execute 4/8/4/8 schedule you would have to gradually move towards this light schedule as I would imagine that the par would have to be high enough for the corals to get all it needed in 4 hours. Just wanted to add that a long acclimation period would probably be necessary to get the corals to be able to optimize the intense 4 hour photo period. I guess you could just change to this schedule and ramp up gradually but I would imagine that you run the risk that corals may find the 4 hours at lower par to be deficient in the short run. This also makes me think that this light schedule would be more challenging for a mixed reef as light intensity would be less flexible as you have to squeeze in more par into a smaller time frame. Perhaps these added constraints on mixed reef is why we don’t find this type of light schedule more prevalent.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I was thinking that in order to execute 4/8/4/8 schedule you would have to gradually move towards this light schedule as I would imagine that the par would have to be high enough for the corals to get all it needed in 4 hours.
BINGO!

BLAST PAR for 4hrs and then quite darkness for 8... then Repeat

Imo if you blast PAR for more than 4hrs you are mostly harvesting A L G A E

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BINGO!

BLAST PAR for 4hrs and then quite darkness for 8... then Repeat

Imo if you blast PAR for more than 4hrs you are mostly harvesting A L G A E
I have no objection to 4848 - but I dont get where this response is coming from? What science is behind it if none - and its your opinion all good

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running this 4-8-4-8?
Hello Jon, I am also using the double photo period. Currently I am using 6/6/6/6 and have been for about 4 months and prior to that I was using 7/4/4/9 for about 8 months so I’m closing in on about a year of double photo period lighting. I am using Kessil AP700.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jon, I am also using the double photo period. Currently I am using 6/6/6/6 and have been for about 4 months and prior to that I was using 7/4/4/9 for about 8 months so I’m closing in on about a year of double photo period lighting. I am using Kessil AP700.
Thanks, I’m running Giesemann Vervve on preset 1 and I’m thinking of going to a different light schedule. Are you running on 100% and off or is ramping up and down better? I don’t know anything about spectrum so I just run the lights on preset. I have 6 channels I can adjust should they all be the same for 6 hours?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didnt get an answer to my last question - so I will ask you - why? If its for rapid coral growth (or more rapid coral growth) - ok - good - but is it good for the ecosystem you're trying to provide for fish etc. I see this type of system used in a coral growing farm - but - I just wonder - why - fool with Mother Nature - I mean the sun rises - it sets. To - me that is the most natural - it might not be 'the best' - but its what I use. Im just curious - does anyone have any science that this helps the average aquarium. Just a bit more information - My tank - gets direct sunlight - in the AM - starting at sunrise - my lights start coming on - and peak at about 4pm - and then with the same downward curve turn off at lets say 10pm - I dont remember. What is interesting is that some of the corals really seem to enjoy the 'sun' part - in the morning (the natural light) - which is not 'blue' - and I dont have a blue period - (except during this isolation period lol) - just curious - do you have an reason for what you're doing - sorry this was long....

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt get an answer to my last question - so I will ask you - why? If its for rapid coral growth (or more rapid coral growth) - ok - good - but is it good for the ecosystem you're trying to provide for fish etc. I see this type of system used in a coral growing farm - but - I just wonder - why - fool with Mother Nature - I mean the sun rises - it sets. To - me that is the most natural - it might not be 'the best' - but its what I use. Im just curious - does anyone have any science that this helps the average aquarium. Just a bit more information - My tank - gets direct sunlight - in the AM - starting at sunrise - my lights start coming on - and peak at about 4pm - and then with the same downward curve turn off at lets say 10pm - I dont remember. What is interesting is that some of the corals really seem to enjoy the 'sun' part - in the morning (the natural light) - which is not 'blue' - and I dont have a blue period - (except during this isolation period lol) - just curious - do you have an reason for what you're doing - sorry this was long....
Hi Mnfish1, can’t speak for others but for myself, I am trying to achieve accelerated growth. Mother Nature is only a benchmark for what is and not an indication for what could be. I would argue that science and artificial (not natural) conditions have given enhanced outcomes. Just look at humans in general, we live a lot longer and higher output in productivity. Our athletes are freakish and we have even limited the use of “enhancements” like steroids etc as they are too effective. Sure it could be argued that there are potential health risks for our underwater pets, but I think that’s why we’re experimenting slowly and acclimating them and seeing long term affects on them. Who knows, it’s possible that two photo periods could be a health improvement for underwater live stock. We will have to see. As far as science proof, we are all part of theAE experiments. It’s my hope we can show strong correlations for or against double photo period and then perhaps scientist will be compelled to prove our hypothesis using real scientific measures and come up with conclusive results.

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m running Giesemann Vervve on preset 1 and I’m thinking of going to a different light schedule. Are you running on 100% and off or is ramping up and down better? I don’t know anything about spectrum so I just run the lights on preset. I have 6 channels I can adjust should they all be the same for 6 hours?
For me I’m ramping with a 1 hour of blue, peaking with whatever blend of light I feel maximizes growth and then finishing with 2 hours off blue for color. Light intensity is always maximum of what my corals can take at that moment. Always looking to Slowly increase intensity but only if it results in improved reaction. Currently I max out at 60% (so 6 hours probably avg like 50% due to ramping) on my AP700 but that’s because I notice corals seem less happy with anything more at the moment (mixed reef - hard to satisfy every coral). As the corals acclimate to Higher par I will try to increase intensity to try and cram more light into a shorter period of time. At that point I will probably switch to a 4/8/4/8 schedule to allow for more rest time to compensate for the intensity. All experimental. Lol

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to do this when my tank is ready. How do you set your refugium light schedule? Opposite the light ?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I’m ramping with a 1 hour of blue, peaking with whatever blend of light I feel maximizes growth and then finishing with 2 hours off blue for color. Light intensity is always maximum of what my corals can take at that moment. Always looking to Slowly increase intensity but only if it results in improved reaction. Currently I max out at 60% (so 6 hours probably avg like 50% due to ramping) on my AP700 but that’s because I notice corals seem less happy with anything more at the moment (mixed reef - hard to satisfy every coral). As the corals acclimate to Higher par I will try to increase intensity to try and cram more light into a shorter period of time. At that point I will probably switch to a 4/8/4/8 schedule to allow for more rest time to compensate for the intensity. All experimental. Lol
I’ve been running this light schedule for a year corals look happy and probably could use more intense lights. Just recently I started running the refugium lights 24/7. I might try the 4-8-4-8 and see how things go. Should I try to mimic the intensity of the preset schedule just shorten the hours?
08331A8B-B65C-480D-B376-E73FF70E9AF4.png
13C9B5C1-4F99-4E2F-A4FC-6C891046E7B4.png

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to do this when my tank is ready. How do you set your refugium light schedule? Opposite the light ?
Yes opposite to start about 30- 1 hour before. Also as mentioned before. A side and earth friendly benefit is that 2 photo period schedule allows you work around peak power times and also avoid peak heat times in the summer. I have mine scheduled for 5-11on 11-5 off, 5-11 on and 11-5 off for the 6/6/6/6. No one knows if it’s beneficial yet. All I can attest is that all the corals are happy, I am getting good color and growth, don’t have and never had any visable algae. So what we know is that the fish and corals are acclimating well and look to be in good health for about a year. The future outlook looks good also.
I am currently in a 6 month growout competition with 20 other competitors growing atl joleen acro. If I win, I guess that might be a feather in the old proverbial double photo period hat.

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running this light schedule for a year corals look happy and probably could use more intense lights. Just recently I started running the refugium lights 24/7. I might try the 4-8-4-8 and see how things go. Should I try to mimic the intensity of the preset schedule just shorten the hours?
08331A8B-B65C-480D-B376-E73FF70E9AF4.png
13C9B5C1-4F99-4E2F-A4FC-6C891046E7B4.png
I mean if your wanting to experiment with the potential benefit of double photo period then I think you should run the same intensity with shorter period initially and then start to increase intensity slowly and see how your corals react. Another way would be first change to 6/6/6/6 schedule so that you can better acclimate the corals in preparation for the high intensity short period 4/8/4/8. In my case I started with 7/4/4/9 then to 6/6/6/6 then I will go to 4/8/4/8. Since 4 on and 8 off would mean the 4 would have to be sufficiently high par to supply enough energy for the coral. Remember this is uncharted territory, and it’s a fun experiment. It doesn’t seem to be hurting the corals Or fish so I would give you the green light as long as you make sure to observe and give enough acclimation period.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but are you already running 100% for a longer total duration?
Yes the preset I was running had the lights at 100% longer than this new schedule. That’s why I’m not to concerned about switching to the 4-8-4-8. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back