4 bulb enough for 24 inches?

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2013
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
20
Location
Columbus Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up an innovative marine 80 gallon tank. It is 48 inches, by 24 inches, by 16 inches. My lfs who has always given me great advice is telling me my current light will be enough for this tank. It would be standing on the tank using the legs. It is a current nova 4x54 watt fixture with ATI bulbs. I was thinking because the tank is only 16 inches deep this will be enough. I would put the light in the middle of the tank. Which would leave 8 inches on either side. If I have the rock structure in the middle for my anemones, would the light that is not directly focused be enough to keep lps and zoa?
 
Yeah, with that height you'd be fine to keep LPS and Zoas. If you have rock work close to the top you'd probably be able to keep some SPS as well.
 
Fwiw, I found having 6 bulbs much better to get more customized bulb combos. There's only so much you can do with 4 bulbs. As far as it providing enough light for lower light demanding corals it will be just fine. My frag rack is about 2" under the water surface and beside the fixture. There's not much light spilling out of the end of the fixture and I'm growing zoa and lps 3" away from the end of the fixture.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new