40 breeder budget build

Tomesrj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this build in February as an upgrade for my 11 year old daughter. She'd been taking care of my 5 gallon pico reef for the better part of a year so I felt it was time to really get her feet wet. It's a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon long sump. I built the sump with an ebay baffle kit, the overflow is from marine depot and the stand is diy. I used a no-name dc return pump off amazon, jebao gyre wave maker, and icecap protein skimmer. The refugium light is another amazon special, cheap outdoor grow light. Im using a hydor smart level ATO with a Tom's aqualifter. The lights are orbit ic pros. Because we're not running any kind of aquarium controller, I built a DJ power bar into the back of the stand so each outlet is individually switched.
This tank will be predominantly softies with a couple lps.
All in all, I'm extremely happy with the build. I took it on as a personal challenge to do a budget build that doesn't look like a budget build. Overall, I'm $650 in. We'll be building the aquascape and cycling the tank next month.
20200404_184634.jpg
20200404_184656.jpg
20200405_154549.jpg
20200418_202314.jpg
20200505_122035.jpg
20200617_210907.jpg

ATCReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you build the stand out of? I am about to start my first 40 breeder and will be making my stand as well.

OP
OP
Tomesrj

Tomesrj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the stand out of 2x4's. I covered all 4 sides in 5mm plywood then used a router to cut out the openings. Then just paint, trim and done. Oh yeah, and I used 1/2 plywood as the base. I coated the inside bottom with flex-seal to make a waterproof "pan"

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start! The stand looks really good!

ATCReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the stand out of 2x4's. I covered all 4 sides in 5mm plywood then used a router to cut out the openings. Then just paint, trim and done. Oh yeah, and I used 1/2 plywood as the base. I coated the inside bottom with flex-seal to make a waterproof "pan"
Thanks that was my plan as well, looks great!

roninmagik1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put the holes in the back of the tank yourself? was it hard? i'm currently using a HangOnBack overflow, and it tends to accumulate air bubbles, and then i need to restart the suction/siphon.

Awesome build btw, i'm running a 40 breeder but it's a work in progress, and i'll be darn happy if i can get it even close to as smooth and professional as yours looks!

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that was my plan as well, looks great!

Hey, just wanna put it out there that if you are not picky you can consider a IKEA computer desk, I used that for my 40 breeder, it's great and fit perfectly with a cabinet. Only downside is running a smaller sump lol

ATCReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just wanna put it out there that if you are not picky you can consider a IKEA computer desk, I used that for my 40 breeder, it's great and fit perfectly with a cabinet. Only downside is running a smaller sump lol
I have taken this on as a complete DIY experience and look forward to trying to build as much of the system on my own. But I appreciate the heads up in the event I throw in the towel and buy a premade stand lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back