40 Breeder FOWLR to Reef

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 40 breeder build thread. I would enjoy other people to follow my build thread and offer up advice/comments on anything that is done. I will try and post updates at least once a week. This is could be a fairly long intro post to bring the story up to speed.

Prior to setting up the 40 breeder I had a 37 gallon FOWLR that was running for about a year in our living room. It was freshwater before and when we moved and purchased our home I broke it down. With the freshwater being taken down, I decided I wanted to try the saltwater game. I did a few months research before setting it up. Fast forward to around March 2021, my wife and I didn't like where the tank was in the living room. So I persuaded her into letting me getting a 40 Breeder (A LOT better dimensions than the 37) to put in our 3rd bedroom. This got the tank out of the living room and allowed me to upgrade!
(Picture of 37 gallon)
20201019_191537 (1).jpg

I was waiting for the dollar per gallon sale to get my 40 breeder. So I decided that I would build a DIY stand for it. I used the common design that can be found on just about any forum. The only change I made to it was instead of using the vertical 2x4 in the corners to attach the load bearing 2x4s to, I used a pocket jig to screw into the frame. This eliminated about 8 ft of board which during COVID we all know the prices of lumber have been ridiculous. I do not have any pictures of the build process of the stand because I didn't have a build thread in mind at the time. Then I wrapped the stand in 1/4 inch plywood and added it to the top and inside stand on the bottom for future upgrades for a sump and hold ATO container. Also added a door on the front to keep it looking clean.

The pictures are prior to stain and adding the plywood on top.
20210302_174322.jpg

\
20210302_183756.jpg

Inside the stand I added some roughly 2x2s around the inside on the bottom to create a basin for spilled water in the event of a spill/overflow. The plan is to add a rubber liner if I ever add a sump. The whole inside of the stand was painted with white epoxy paint used for refrigerators. I believe I got it from Home Depot, I can add a picture of the can if anyone is interested. I liked that it would give a hard finish that would be able to withstand the salt water abuse. It also helped to brighten up the inside of the stand. The outside of the stand was sanded, stained, and clear coated.
(Inside of stand and stain on outside)
20210804_185857.jpg

20210804_185833.jpg

Around May I transferred equipment, rock, and water to the 40B. I bought 2 AI Primes from someone on here that with the plan of using those instead of the Current USA lights that I was using. I started with a CPR BakPak2 HOB skimmer and have since upgraded to a Reef Octopus 1000. Wave pumps started as Current USA but was also upgraded to a single AI Nero5, I plan on getting another soon. I also added a few pounds of Marco shelf rock to give some levels for coral placement. The old sand was thrown out and I got 40lbs of Caribsea live sand (don't remember the size/style).

Picture is when the tank was first set up.
20210522_131234.jpg

These pictures are from last night 08/03/2021. I added my first corals!! A devils hand on the left structure in the middle and some GSP on an island in the between the two structures. I haven't decided if it is going to there or not. I'm not sure I like the rock being in between the two prominent structures. I just cleaned the glass so tank is cloudy.
(Full tank)
20210803_211901.jpg

(Top down of structure on left)
20210803_212252.jpg

(Top down of structure on right, the orientation is screwed up so the top of picture is the front of tank)
20210803_212234.jpg

Equipment:
AI Prime HD x2 mounted using BRS recommended spacing and height off water
Reef Octopus 1000 HOB protein skimmer
AI Nero 5
~40LBS of live sand
~30-40LBS of rock
Aquatop 100 watt heater

Current Stocking:
Fish-
Mocha Ocellaris x2
Orange Striped Cardinal x2
Royal Gramma x1
Cherub Angel x1
CUC/Inverts-
Tiger Conch x1
Nassarrius x2
Red Leg hermit crab x5
Astrea Snail x3
Mexican Turbo Snail x1
Coral-
Devil's hand
GSP

As mentioned earlier, please follow my thread if you are interested. I will try and read other peoples build threads, follow along, and help with feedback as well. I plan on doing at least a weekly update. If any questions feel free to ask!

P.S.
If you took the time to read all this I appreciate and know it was long but I wanted to bring the build up to speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyps are starting to come out more on the devils hand. Each day a few more come out so I think its somewhat happy where it's at. I'm not so sure about the gsp. I've seen polyps out here and there but they haven't stayed open. Not sure what is going on with it.

I'm also working on getting supplies together to get my control cabinet together. I'll post pictures once I decide exactly what I want.
20210814_153436.jpg

20210812_201257.jpg
20210812_132448.jpg

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally gsp decided to show it's polyps!! Took long enough.
20210819_172441.jpg

Devils hand is doing good, the polyps that are coming out are starting to open up more.
20210819_172448.jpg

Tailspot blenny that has been in my nuvo 10 for observation for about 3 weeks is going in tonight as well. I'll post pictures once he settles in.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few days since my last post but I had to travel for work and just getting around to posting.
Update on the tailspot, when I got back from work travel I found a hermit crab munching on the tailspot. I'm not really sure what happened, he looked good and there was enough for him to graze on when I put him in. So I guess I'll try a different blenny or goby.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is rolling along no issues been traveling a lot for work. Here's some pictures of the fish and a full tank shot. Royal gramma was the only one that would sit still long enough for a decent picture. Have a great weekend!
20210918_175631.jpg
20210918_175542.jpg
20210918_175528.jpg
20210918_175518.jpg
20210918_175502.jpg
20210918_175406.jpg
20210918_175331.jpg
20210918_174029.jpg

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a couple ricordea florida yesterday and have another I picked up a few weeks ago. The 2 larger ones are the newest. Debating on whether to put them in the 40 breeder or leaving them in the IM nuvo 10 and making it a ricordea only tank. Any input would be awesome. If you think I should put them in the 40 breeder where do you think they should go? (Use the full tank shot in the post above for reference)
20210925_143007.jpg
20210925_143021.jpg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work!
Following
...since I have about a 5 month old 37 gallon TALL tank (FOWLR+inverts) but will be doing a tank transfer to a 40 gallon breeder for better tank dimensions in the near future. (...and, yes, then thinking of trying a soft coral or two).

*40 gallon breeder is in the garage, filled with tap water, making sure no leaks right now.
PetCo 50% off sale started today so I got the tank (bought online, picked-up in store) for $49.99 - $5 coupon I had = $44.99.

Gettin' ready...

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work!
Following
...since I have about a 5 month old 37 gallon TALL tank (FOWLR+inverts) but will be doing a tank transfer to a 40 gallon breeder for better tank dimensions in the near future. (...and, yes, then thinking of trying a soft coral or two).

*40 gallon breeder is in the garage, filled with tap water, making sure no leaks right now.
PetCo 50% off sale started today so I got the tank (bought online, picked-up in store) for $49.99 - $5 coupon I had = $44.99.

Gettin' ready...
Thank you for following!

There was not a single negative thing switching to a 40B. The dimensions are so much better than the 37 tall. You aren't getting wet up to your armpit if you have to go in the tank. It's a nich better tank to aquascape. I love it! I didn't mean to but I basically upgrading everything when I switched that I got used. Different wave maker, lights, HOB skimmer. All in all it has worked out great. Definitely build your own stand if you can it can make the viewing a lot better!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for following!

There was not a single negative thing switching to a 40B. The dimensions are so much better than the 37 tall. You aren't getting wet up to your armpit if you have to go in the tank. It's a nich better tank to aquascape. I love it! I didn't mean to but I basically upgrading everything when I switched that I got used. Different wave maker, lights, HOB skimmer. All in all it has worked out great. Definitely build your own stand if you can it can make the viewing a lot better!
I hear you on the dimensions.
Mine's in an otherwise useless "nook" in the house so no stand to build, although that would've been a fun DIY project.
I'll need to upgrade lights anyway but choosing to hold off on filtration/flow upgrades until a little later.

Thanks for starting this thread. (It hit close to home for me)

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on the dimensions.
Mine's in an otherwise useless "nook" in the house so no stand to build, although that would've been a fun DIY project.
I'll need to upgrade lights anyway but choosing to hold off on filtration/flow upgrades until a little later.

Thanks for starting this thread. (It hit close to home for me)
No problem! I was having trouble finding any quality threads on the 37 tall so it was discouraging to say the least.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Love me some 40b builds because it’s also what I have. I really like the layout of yr tank! Also impressed you built the stand lol

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Love me some 40b builds because it’s also what I have. I really like the layout of yr tank! Also impressed you built the stand lol
I appreciate it! I just checked out your build and followed along, looks like you have a ton of life on those rocks!

I wanted a more open layout to try and make the tank look bigger than what it really is. It allows for a lot of water flow in and around the rocks too. I have a buddy who is a lot more mechanically inclined than myself who helped me out.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it! I just checked out your build and followed along, looks like you have a ton of life on those rocks!

I wanted a more open layout to try and make the tank look bigger than what it really is. It allows for a lot of water flow in and around the rocks too. I have a buddy who is a lot more mechanically inclined than myself who helped me out.
Thanks man! I love all the life to where wherever you look there is something , I just had my brittle stars spawn and they are everywhere! Your tank is going to be very nice once the corals grow out! I’ve really liked the flow from CrossFlow gyre Jebao scp-70 , it makes the whole tank move like a wave

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a lot of corals I do have some problems with aptasia currently and recently discovered a mantis shrimp hitch hiker…got some hunting to do

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! I love all the life to where wherever you look there is something , I just had my brittle stars spawn and they are everywhere! Your tank is going to be very nice once the corals grow out! I’ve really liked the flow from CrossFlow gyre Jebao scp-70 , it makes the whole tank move like a wave
I can only imagine what it looks like once you can actually get up close and really look at the rock. I plan on getting another nero 5 to get some more flow on the other rock structure I have a spot where detritus sits next to it. If you can catch the mantis try and put him in his own tank! I've seen a couple dedicated tanks for them.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only imagine what it looks like once you can actually get up close and really look at the rock. I plan on getting another nero 5 to get some more flow on the other rock structure I have a spot where detritus sits next to it. If you can catch the mantis try and put him in his own tank! I've seen a couple dedicated tanks for them.
I will definitely try and most likely he’ll have the sump to himself if anything lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back