40 Breeder SPS tank with 4x T5 needs lighting upgrade. Add LED?

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade the lighting on my 40 breeder SPS tank. Currently, I have four T5 bulbs supplemented by two 24 watt Current USA LED strips for sunrise, sunset, etc.

I'm thinking of adding two Kessil A160we's and possibly ditching the LED strips. Will they be enough? Could I get away with just one A360x in the middle instead?

Would switching the 24 watt Current USA strip lights out for Reef Brights be a equally good option, or nah?

What would you do? The tank is currently up and running with strictly SPS. I'd like to get better growth and coloration, especially on acro's.

Thanks.

Last edited:

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you need more light? 4 T5s and two currents should be enough. I'm running 3 currents on my 40 and I've turned them down.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These strip lights aren't very powerful. Your R24's are Current's entry into the LED pendant game.

Do I need more? I think I do. My SPS is colorful and growing, but not as well as it could be. My yellow-tip acro doesn't have yellow tips, the Leng Sy cap doesn't have much purple in the rim. I feel like I need more power. I also like the shimmer, which my tank doesn't have right now.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a single aqua medic 250 at 16 off the surface on our 40b. The only problem was I had to buy a bigger tank lol.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know what your current par levels are? Adding par may not be the solution if your current numbers are sufficient. Color could be improved with more random flow or lowering nutrient levels if too high. Lack of growth could be due to many things. More info is needed before you take the most expensive route.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would just swap out the light strips for something more powerful.
Reefbrite, orphek, and AI make some excellent straps.

Fwiw, I just put together a tank with an Orphek Icon, and no matter what I do, I can't match the spectrum I get with T5's and a reefbrite actinic strip.

T5 and LED is the best of both worlds IMO.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would just swap out the light strips for something more powerful.
Reefbrite, orphek, and AI make some excellent straps.

Fwiw, I just put together a tank with an Orphek Icon, and no matter what I do, I can't match the spectrum I get with T5's and a reefbrite actinic strip.

T5 and LED is the best of both worlds IMO.
I've looked into reef brights, and they're out. If I could program them to do sunset and moonlight, I'd be all about them but they're either on or off which is a dealbreaker.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your current par levels are? Adding par may not be the solution if your current numbers are sufficient. Color could be improved with more random flow or lowering nutrient levels if too high. Lack of growth could be due to many things. More info is needed before you take the most expensive route.
I do not know what my par levels are, but I'm sure they are similar to what others are getting from T5's. I have wavemakers alternating the flow, and pushing just hard enough to move the lightest frags around and keep anything from settling on the bare bottom. My nutrients are low. I have to dose phosphate and nitrate to keep from hitting zero, and I dose Reef Energy AB+ twice a day.

Color and growth aren't bad, I just think that some of my acropora might enjoy a little extra par. I would also personally enjoy the shimmer.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add Blades or Noopsyche K7v3's. Keep the strip leds for visual pop.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders photon V2+ would be a great, powerful option if you're looking to buy a new fixture. I have three and they grow acros well.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders photon V2+ would be a great, powerful option if you're looking to buy a new fixture. I have three and they grow acros well.
One of the reasons I specifically want the Kessils is the fact that they pack the LEDs in tight, which reduces the discoball effect and also gives more shimmer.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of the reasons I specifically want the Kessils is the fact that they pack the LEDs in tight, which reduces the discoball effect and also gives more shimmer.

It also creates terrible shadowing that is detrimental to the corals. Kessils are best with a fill light added

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked into reef brights, and they're out. If I could program them to do sunset and moonlight, I'd be all about them but they're either on or off which is a dealbreaker.
Did you look into the Bluetooth dimmer they sell? Not sure if it can be programmed for gradual sunrise/sunset. I just have mine on a surge protector with a timer.
The inline dimmer works great for adjusting intensity and is like $20

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting the reefbreeders high enough gives you that shimmer without the discoball effect and most importantly high/consistent spread. But if you're not looking to replace your entire fixture, you could look at the Quantareeef LED bars. They seem to be super powerful and have good reviews.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look into the Bluetooth dimmer they sell? Not sure if it can be programmed for gradual sunrise/sunset. I just have mine on a surge protector with a timer.
The inline dimmer works great for adjusting intensity and is like $20
Just now! I didn't know that was a thing. It looks like Reef Brights are back in contention.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Bluetooth dimmer is $180 and a total rip off. Not easy to use and clunky overall.

The Blades are a far better choice compared to the XHO

Back