40 Breeder Stock suggestions

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently transfered everything over to my new 40 breeder from my 37 tall. It currently has a pair of ocellaris clowns and royal gramma. I have a tailspot blenny and cherub angel that I will be adding in the next couple days. I was thinking maybe 1 more fish just not sure what direction to go. I will be adding a net top soon as well.

So current stock will be:
2x ocessalris
1x royal gramma
1x tailspot blenny
1x cherub angel
20210522_131234.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get several awesome blennies. My personal favorite is the midas. But like gobies, there are many to choose from

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish!!!
Not sure I could keep one healthy long term travel with work would make that rough.
You could get several awesome blennies. My personal favorite is the midas. But like gobies, there are many to choose from
I already have a tailspot that will be going in. I didn't think you could have multiple since they can get territorial.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't looked at the flasher wrasses yet. A wrasse would add a lot of movement though which would be nice.
Definitely will add movement! Just make sure that you have a cover on the tank so they don't go carpet surfing.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The tailspot that I was going to put in the 40 breeder decided to carpet surf at some point during the day. I went to feed tonight and looked every where for him right in front of the tank. Somehow managed to get through the screen top. So any suggestions in the goby/blenny area would be appreciated! I did enjoy watching the tailspot so might have to find another.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update: I found a Lubbock's wrasse that I just added to the 40B after quarantine.
The new stocking list is:
2x ocellaris clowns
1x royal gramma
1x Atlantic pygmy angel (cherub)
1x Lubbock's fairy wrasse

I was thinking about adding a trio of cardinals, not sure what type yet, a blenny, and something that stays on the bottom. Maybe a sand sifting goby for the bottom. Any suggestions on other groups of cardinals besides pajama and bangaii that would work. I'm open to any suggestions or tips!

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update: I found a Lubbock's wrasse that I just added to the 40B after quarantine.
The new stocking list is:
2x ocellaris clowns
1x royal gramma
1x Atlantic pygmy angel (cherub)
1x Lubbock's fairy wrasse

I was thinking about adding a trio of cardinals, not sure what type yet, a blenny, and something that stays on the bottom. Maybe a sand sifting goby for the bottom. Any suggestions on other groups of cardinals besides pajama and bangaii that would work. I'm open to any suggestions or tips!

If you want a trio of Cardinals, you'll want to go with the Pajamas or another type. The Bangaii cardinals will fight each other until either a pair or one remains.

A sand sifter goby might rip through your microfauna population pretty quick and fade away if you don't keep the pod population up to supplement the diet.

Otherwise looks like a good list!

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a trio of Cardinals, you'll want to go with the Pajamas or another type. The Bangaii cardinals will fight each other until either a pair or one remains.

A sand sifter goby might rip through your microfauna population pretty quick and fade away if you don't keep the pod population up to supplement the diet.

Otherwise looks like a good list!
Would any of the cardinals work? I plan on stopping at a couple places today and see if they have anything besides pajama. Thank you for the info on the bangaii. I might get a YWG instead of a sand sifter.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any of the cardinals work? I plan on stopping at a couple places today and see if they have anything besides pajama. Thank you for the info on the bangaii. I might get a YWG instead of a sand sifter.
Pajama Cardinals should be fine in a group I've also seen these cardinals in stores on rare occasions and they should be okay in a trio as well.

A YWG is an excellent option, don't forget to get him a pistol shrimp to bond with.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama Cardinals should be fine in a group I've also seen these cardinals in stores on rare occasions and they should be okay in a trio as well.

A YWG is an excellent option, don't forget to get him a pistol shrimp to bond with.
I was just looking at the cardinals on there! YES! I totally forgot a pistol shrimp but now I definitely want to pair them now.

Back