40 Breeder Stocking

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of adding another fish to my 40 Breeder. Any Recommendations or am I maxxed out? My nitrates are super low even with feeding twice a day so bioload wise im good to go. Everyone gets along great with no aggression at all.
My current stock is:
1x Pygmy Flameback Angel
1x McCosksers Flasher Wrasse
1x Orange Line Chromis
1x Maroon Clown
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Kamohara Blenny
1x Bubble Tip Nem
various inverts

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would leave that alone. I don't have many suggestions that would fit. Maybe a single bangaii or pajama cardinal?

The angel, maroon clown, and hawk may not tolerate new additions very well. If the goal is to get nitrate levels up, I wouldn't worry about that, and as these fishes grow they will add more nitrate. Fish are all small at the moment?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think you have room for another fish or two, but the problem is that your current fish might not allow any new additions to live.

OP
OP
S

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would leave that alone. I don't have many suggestions that would fit. Maybe a single bangaii or pajama cardinal?

The angel, maroon clown, and hawk may not tolerate new additions very well. If the goal is to get nitrate levels up, I wouldn't worry about that, and as these fishes grow they will add more nitrate. Fish are all small at the moment?
The Angel and Hawk probably wont get much bigger but my Maroon is still very small. He is hosting his nem though so he pretty much stays put. Good call though, don't want to temp fate since they've all been coexisting well.

OP
OP
S

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think you have room for another fish or two, but the problem is that your current fish might not allow any new additions to live.
Yeah thats a fair point, I was stressed when adding the ones I have but very happy with how how they all interact so I won't risk it.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I suppose some of them could cause problems. I have a Falco hawk and it doesn’t cause issues but not so sure of the flame. Not sure what your blenny is, but I love firefish and they might be ok as they occupy different places in the water column. They are timid, so could be a target for aggression as someone with a royal gramma was discussing yesterday, but that would be my choice if I was to add to this. A group of 3-4 as they don’t add a lot to the bio-load. We live how they twitch, my daughter named three of ours Twitch, Glitch and Stitch.

OP
OP
S

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose some of them could cause problems. I have a Falco hawk and it doesn’t cause issues but not so sure of the flame. Not sure what your blenny is, but I love firefish and they might be ok as they occupy different places in the water column. They are timid, so could be a target for aggression as someone with a royal gramma was discussing yesterday, but that would be my choice if I was to add to this. A group of 3-4 as they don’t add a lot to the bio-load. We live how they twitch, my daughter named three of ours Twitch, Glitch and Stitch.
The Kamohara Blenny is a fang blenny so can do damage but hes super docile. Appreciate the input! I do love Firefish but will probably just keep this group as is, dont wanna tempt fate. However I do have a 15G Nano i may add a firefish to as my other fish pretty much hide in the rock and sand sift on the bottom!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The Kamohara Blenny is a fang blenny so can do damage but hes super docile. Appreciate the input! I do love Firefish but will probably just keep this group as is, dont wanna tempt fate. However I do have a 15G Nano i may add a firefish to as my other fish pretty much hide in the rock and sand sift on the bottom!
I have firefish with the yellow and black striped fang blennies, but in a 110 and the firefish were there first. It is great that you can exercise such control.

OP
OP
S

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have firefish with the yellow and black striped fang blennies, but in a 110 and the firefish were there first. It is great that you can exercise such control.
Appreciate it! I have very little self control but I do love my fish so what I want may not be best for them hah.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back