40 gallon breeder aio build

quackhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick background…I started my first tank 2 years ago its a 13.5 EVO…overall the tank has done well. I started it with CaribSea life rock & CaribSea arag-alive sand(that i rinsed). Basically the only upgrade is an InTank media basket in chamber one that is set up with filter floss then chemi pure then Seachem Matrix. Currently stoked with a clown a yellow watchmen goby a pistol shrimp a couple of cerith snails a couple of nassarius snails and a red leg hermit crab. Here’s a pic for reference.
66B74C4D-21F5-402D-836E-0023A1A10743.jpeg

So fast forward 2 years and I’ve decided to try a larger tank, I like the clean look of aio’s and the location I’ve picked works well for a peninsula style. I picked up a Aqueon 40 gallon breeder at Petcos 1/2 price deal, AIO kit from Jax Racks, Kedsum 550 GPH return pump, Hygger 2600 gph mini wave maker & a Nicrew Saltwater aquarium light(Links to all the items below if anyones interested). I’ve added 40 lbs of CaribSea arag-alive sand, and 40 lbs+/- of dry rock( I think its important to know that I picked up probably 100 lbs of dry rock that had been sitting outside for a loooong time so I did a muriatic acid wash, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, and then rinsed again then it sat outside to dry for a few weeks and has been in a plastic tote since). Here’s a couple of pics as it currently sits.
8B56E2C4-A32E-4243-8374-FEF977DF4E6A.jpeg
3AE20FB8-E5B4-4518-9738-A0DDF866B356.jpeg

So I’ve got a few questions that I could use some feedback on…
1. Is the arag-alive sand enough for the cycle or should i be adding something else?
2. I’ve got a couple of bottles of ARC coralline algae coming, does this help answer my first question?
3. Here’s my thoughts on livestock 1 ea. tail spot blenny, 1 ea, green clown goby, 1 ea. Pygmy angel, 1 ea carpenters wrasse, 1 ea either long nose hawkfish or flame hawk fish. Would appreciate thoughts on order of introduction to the tank.
4. This aio from Jax racks is set up for the aio to dump directly into a sock filter, I’ve never used socks before thoughts on stuffing a filter media cup full of filter floss?
5. Plans for aio chambers, chamber 1 filter floss on top of Chemi pure, chamber 2 would be a rock on bottom with chaeto…thoughts?
6. This thing looses water like mad from evaporation, found a lexan cover form tenecor, would this help eliminate evaporation?

I’m sure I’ll have other questions…thanks in advance for any help!

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a great setup. I use those lights as well. Just know you may want 2 to 3 of them depending on what you want to grow.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Did Jax Racks custom make the AIO kit for you? How did you like working with them?

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't have the peninsula style on their website, i was wanting to do this same thing! did you have to contact them to make it special or what?

OP
OP
quackhunt

quackhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't have the peninsula style on their website, i was wanting to do this same thing! did you have to contact them to make it special or what?
I believe it was a shelf item from them…it’s designed to fit an aqueon Breeder so if you have a different brand you’ll want to confirm sizing. I’d just reach out to them, they were easy to work with and answered all my questions…good luck & let me know what other questions you have

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back