40 Gallon Breeder Stocking

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 Gallon Breeder and was looking for some stocking advice.
Current Stock
2 Clown Fish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Possibly a Highfin Goby with a Pistol Shrimp (I have not seen these guys in months)
Stock Wants
1 Midas Blenny
1 Wrasse (Not sure what kind would love suggestions)
That’s as far as I have gotten would love some ideas for any more fish It is a reef btw.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasse have a nice color scheme to them and do eat some pest but they are 50/50 but u have a bigger tank than me in my 20L he was starting to bully other fish. But add him last if you do. You gould do a Royal gramma they have a nice color or you could do a skunk wrasse they stay small and have a awesome color scheme. You could do a yellow watchman goby or a green clown goby I mean so many options with a 40 breeder. Could do a small school of green chromis

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty is one of my favorite fish in my 40B.
For a wrasse, just be sure it’s a reef safe one. 6 line is good looking and utilitarian, but they have a reputation of being mean.
Any of the blennies are a good option - I’d personally go for one of the algae eating blennies but a Midas is a good fit as well.

Upvote 0

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty is one of my favorite fish in my 40B.
For a wrasse, just be sure it’s a reef safe one. 6 line is good looking and utilitarian, but they have a reputation of being mean.
Any of the blennies are a good option - I’d personally go for one of the algae eating blennies but a Midas is a good fit as well.
You dont have any corals?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton for your guys help I my new plan is
Royal Gramma
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Tailspot Blenny Instead of the Midas
Yellow Headed Jaw Fish
Waiting to decide if I add a goby because I don’t know if my current one is dead.

Upvote 0

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea every fish is totally different in this hobby it's like you can't post on here and ask what will work cause literally every person experience is different. Like watch I could go get a coral beauty and would destroy all my corals ahaha just the flip of the coin 50/50

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 breeder also and the small wrasse suggestions I got (just for your consideration) were:
-- Pink streaked wrasse -- look cool (to me) but haven't been able to find one yet
-- Possom wrasse -- not my cup of tea, visually, but potentially a good fit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 breeder also and the small wrasse suggestions I got (just for your consideration) were:
-- Pink streaked wrasse -- look cool (to me) but haven't been able to find one yet
-- Possom wrasse -- not my cup of tea, visually, but potentially a good fit
I have never heard of a pink streaked wrasse but after a quick google search that is a pretty cool wrasse The 4 I am deciding between now is the McCosker wrasse, Yellow Wrasse, Silver belly wrasse, and now the Pink Streaked Wrasse

Upvote 0

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of a pink streaked wrasse but after a quick google search that is a pretty cool wrasse The 4 I am deciding between now is the McCosker wrasse, Yellow Wrasse, Silver belly wrasse, and now the Pink Streaked Wrasse
I would go pink streak. The other three may get a little too big/active for a 40B (it could work though). Plus, the Pink Streak is widely recommended by reef keepers. They also look really cool, like pink lemonade.

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back