40 gallon breeder

MC Blowfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2025
Messages
406
Reaction score
567
Location
Iowa
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have some work to do. Some of the frags were knocked loose while I was moving them to buckets, and back to the new tank. I need to set some time aside to glue the frag plugs again. The jawfish has been kicking up sand daily as it tries to get settled in. Today has been fairly quiet.

Currently, I have two wavemakers. An AI Nero 3 on the right side of the tank. A Voyager 1000 on the left side in front of the Seachem Tidal 35. I will probably upgrade to the 50 eventually, but not at the moment.

I have this Nicrew coral light. Nicrew

I'll probably have to upgrade. Currently I have a mix reef with soft corals and a few LPS. I have one SPS coral at the top which was in my IM15 when the tank crashed. I just wanted to get it out before I lost it too. I'll probably by a Nicrew HyperReef eventually or another model.

I know I need to get an ATO. That's on my to-do list.

How does the rock look? Should I add more? It looks kind of bare, but I don't want to fall into the same trap I just escaped with having too much rock.

I was thinking I'd add a firefish or possibly a small wrasse next month. I'm open to suggestions. I might just keep it at one more fish, and be done with it. I don't want to overstock the tank.



1000011796.jpg
 
Not a bad start! I’d add some height and arches/“caves” of some sort to give your fish somewhere to go when feeling shy. I have an 40b with essentially 2 “tables” at different heights and stacked differently, which still allows flow but also somewhere for my purple psuedo to go hide in a very covered spot and to sleep.
P9252585.jpeg


Only other real thing you should consider, since you already mentioned getting an ATO, would be light upgrades at some point. This tank struggled when it was just 1 AI Prime 16 HD and a Kessil a80 Tuna blue. I got extremely lucky and did a tank breakdown where I got the Hydra 64 for free and was also given the 2nd Prime 16 for it. Once those were placed on here, my coral have been so much happier and growing much faster.
 
IMO it needs a lot more rock and height, the tank looks empty.

I would not bother upgrading tidal, get a hob skimmer to work along with your current tidal. Together they will provide better overall filtration compared to just a tidal 50.

I would suggest a 150 watt light for the tank, thats what I use on my 40 breeder and it grows anything I want.

IMO your flow is ok for now since the tank is mainly empty, but later on with more rocks and corals grown out, it might need some additional flow.

I would aim one or both of those powerheads towards the surface,the surface is too flat, its needs agitation for gas exchange.

Personally I would add more rock before more fish, there are no hiding spots in your tank, create some piles of rock so they can explore and hide.

Overall it looks like a solid start, with some minor teaks and upgrades in time it will look great. good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new