40 Gallon Build

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I am so excited to start this build. I have been in the hobby 3 years now and am finally upgrading from my Biocube to an actual plummed tank (yay!). I am only going up 8 gallons but with the external overflow, I will have so much more room in the tank which is super exciting. I would have gone up to 50 or even 70 gallons but I live on the second floor of an old house and my family was worried about the floors which is fair haha.
As of right now, my Biocube is still up and running and it is stocked with two clowns, and an orchid dottyback, along with an assortment of corals. The tank doesn't look it's best right now since the glass is covered with coraline algae but everyone is alive and happy. I plan on having the new tank in the same spot as the Biocube so there will be some moving around to make this work but I think I will be able to do it. I picked up a 15 gallon and a hang on the back filter as a place to hold the fish and the corals I will be fragging while I wait for my sump to be delivered from Melev's Reef. The tank itself is unavailable right now but I am willing to wait a bit. It gives me time to mentally recuperate from the amount I spent on everything else ;Nailbiting and also time to sell off my tank and all the gear I will not be using in the new tank.
Today I got some goodies from BRS delivered:
-Nuvo APS 25&40 Fusion Stand
-20lbs of dry rock (Don't worry. I have a bunch of dry rock I didn't use in my Biocube build that I saved.)
-Classic 110SSS 5'' Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer from Reef Octopus
-2 MP10's
-Syncra Silent 2.0
-Eggcrate
unnamed (1).jpg

I am expecting even more stuff to come in tomorrow and the next day which I am super excited about. It is mostly just the waiting game for the sump and tank now though. I had been hoping to get it while the black Friday deals were going on but it was not meant to be. I had a bit of a scare this morning when I realized that the site I purchased it from said that they refunded me five days ago because they did not have the tank (though why they had it listed as available is beyond me :rolleyes:) but my money had yet to come back to me. Luckily I checked with paypal which I used to pay for the tank and it looks like it is just pending approval. If I had gotten scammed I would have absolutely cried lol.
I have quite a few zoa's and other corals I will be selling to my local reef club along with trying to sell my Biocube to someone. I will also be selling my dottyback. She is beautiful but a giant meanie and a big reason my Biocube doesn't have any more fish ;Sour.
Anyways, I will try to post regular updates for this build. It will be my first time plumbing a tank so any help regarding how I plan it will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I tried my hand at assembling the Nuvo APS stand with. Some (?) success. All of the pieces are together however the stand is wobbly and falls apart easily. None of the pieces locked together the way the instructions said no matter how hard I turned the screws, or what angle I tried to hold the pieces in when turning. I am a bit of at a loss as to what to do. Am I missing something?
I want to get my holding tank for the fish and corals up and running as soon as possible but I don’t trust this stand to hold the 15 gallon I have ready, let alone the 40 gallon it is advertised to be able to hold. Can anyone help?
8D77B2BD-2804-4B39-A78D-73D44016E6F2.jpeg

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got help from some people in this forum and now the stand is rock solid (Thanks y’all). I’m going to do a leak test for the 15 gallon tomorrow and hopefully get it running in the evening.
I forgot to mention that I got some Rod’s Food today and my fish gulped it up. I had been feeling them frozen PE Mysis since I got them but unfortunately a family member left the bag on the counter for about half an hour and it defrosted. I trashed it because I didn’t want to take any chances, but it gave me the opportunity to try a new food :D

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
It has been two days since my last update and a lot has happened.
The 15 gallon is running right now empty. I added some ammonia from dr. tim's, seeded the tank with some pond matrix from my tank and have mostly just left it alone outside of dosing some microbacter7 every day. Tomorrow I am taking a trip to the hardware store to get some miscellaneous things I need and am going to spend most of it when I get home fragging corals and putting them in the 15 gallon. I will also be moving my clowns to the 15 gallon within the week, or at least once I make the lid. The dottyback is leaving today.
I looked into the nuvo 40 and it looks like the tank has been discontinued and there is nowhere to buy it, so I am going to have to order a custom one with the same dimensions in order to fit the stand I bought :rolleyes: ah well. This will let me customize it a little more to my liking.
I managed to get my hands on a fish I had been wanting since I got into the hobby three years ago. The Randall Goby. And I got two of them! I also got a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and everyone got together as soon as the lights turned on. Everyone is getting along really well. The larger goby hangs out closer to the entrance of the cave and the smaller one stays a little farther away. He darts into the cave if I reach my hand in the tank though. It is super fun watching them all together. I can't wait to have them in my new build. It was a bit scary when I first got them because the larger randall was swimming upside down but it was simply in shock because fedex messed up my order and I got them over a day late :mad::mad::mad: I left him in an acclimation box overnight and he was right side up this morning.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on it right now. I put in a custom order with Glass Cages and Joe has been really great! I just need to ship the overflow box down to him so he can get the exact measurements
@Grootzilla Thanks so much! We are honored to support you in your journey.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back