40 gallon cleanup crew ideas?

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently battling an algae problem, so I want to add more to my cleanup crew. I have a 40 gallon reef tank with 3 blue leg hermits, 2 turbo snails, and 1 cerith snail. I want to add at least one emerald crab since I started to notice some bubble algae. Also, I want to add a peppermint shrimp because I had one when there was some aiptasia but the peppermint shrimp died 3 months ago and I haven't seen an aiptasia since I added the peppermint shrimp.

Any ideas of how much and what to snails/hermits I should add?

Down the road, I would want to get a red or orange starfish and pincushion/tuxedo sea urchin.

I've been battling the algae by scrubbing off the algae with a toothbrush before I do a water change

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 9.30.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 9.30.25 AM.png

Last edited:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think CUC is gonna help with the battle just keep doing what you're doing and it'll level off eventually. In the meantime adding a bunch of nessarius snails is a good idea as well as introducing a lot of copepods to your system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am currently battling an algae problem, so I want to add more to my cleanup crew. I have a 40 gallon reef tank with 3 blue leg hermits, 2 turbo snails, and 1 cerith snail. I want to add at least one emerald crab since I started to notice some bubble algae. Also, I want to add a peppermint shrimp because I had one when there was some aiptasia but the peppermint shrimp died 3 months ago and I haven't seen an aiptasia since I added the peppermint shrimp.

Any ideas of how much and what to snails/hermits I should add?

Down the road, I would want to get a red or orange starfish and pincushion/tuxedo sea urchin.

I've been battling the algae by scrubbing off the algae with a toothbrush before I do a water change

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 9.30.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 9.30.25 AM.png
Stuff on rocks is Lynbya which looks like dino but is bacterial. I see you have coral on the rock. Making this a two habd or two person task, start a siphon with 1/4" hose and scrub off with a firm toothbrush while siphoning at the same time. After cleanup, add for 7-10 days 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gals during the day, keep filters claen and skimmer cup empty.
Afterwards add snails such as: Chiton, astrea, trochus, cerith and nerite.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on what and how many snails and hermit crabs I should add?
So yes there is a “sweet spot” number you want to find. If you bought 20 Turbo snails and 10 hermits and weeks later in your very clean tank you discovered a few dead snails, then a week later a few more. You’re going to realize you purchased too many. Starvation is not fun. So start slow, like you’re doing. And add another crab/snail or two next month. And judge it by their activity. Presently you don’t have too many and you do have an algae issue. Find that sweet spot.

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stuff on rocks is Lynbya which looks like dino but is bacterial. I see you have coral on the rock. Making this a two habd or two person task, start a siphon with 1/4" hose and scrub off with a firm toothbrush while siphoning at the same time. After cleanup, add for 7-10 days 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gals during the day, keep filters claen and skimmer cup empty.
Afterwards add snails such as: Chiton, astrea, trochus, cerith and nerite.
Do you recommend any bacteria? This algae has been happening for like 4-5 months now. I also have a decent colony of copepods in the tank already, but whenever I add more copepods my hippo tang tends to eat them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you recommend any bacteria? This algae has been happening for like 4-5 months now. I also have a decent colony of copepods in the tank already, but whenever I add more copepods my hippo tang tends to eat them.
Yes- to counter the bad bacteria, add liquid bacteria supplement such as Micro Bacter 7 at 1.5ml per 10 gallons for 5-7 days and do the clean up as suggested.
Algae:
What is your phosphate and nitrate levels?
Is tank at or near a window?
This is more bacterial and will be due to :
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- use of tap water

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes- to counter the bad bacteria, add liquid bacteria supplement such as Micro Bacter 7 at 1.5ml per 10 gallons for 5-7 days and do the clean up as suggested.
Algae:
What is your phosphate and nitrate levels?
Is tank at or near a window?
This is more bacterial and will be due to :
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- use of tap water
My tank is not near a window also my phosphate and nitrate levels are near zero

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need a much larger cuc. Here’s what reefcleaners has for their 50 gallon package:

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You really need a much larger cuc. Here’s what reefcleaners has for their 50 gallon package:
thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back