40 gallon tank and nano sump?

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a 40 gallon cube tank and stand. My question is whether the Eshopps nano cube sump will be to much for this set up?

There’s a couple of reasons why I’m considering the Eshopps. One space is limited and two looks like I can get a pretty good deal on one via craigslist. $100 new.

I know that on Eshopps website, the sump is rated for 10 to 35 gallons. However my thinking is if I adjust the return flow plumbing I could potential keep everything in check.

Do you think this could work or am I way off?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too much, the question is will there be enough space to hold the amount of water draining from the display with the pump off. I'd would say probably yes, rated up to 35g there's always a buffer build in. I would say as long as your display is plumbed as to not overflow your sump, it would be a good choice. An adjustable return pump would also be a good decision to help you get it dialed in.

OP
OP
Just_Pete

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too much, the question is will there be enough space to hold the amount of water draining from the display with the pump off. I'd would say probably yes, rated up to 35g there's always a buffer build in. I would say as long as your display is plumbed as to not overflow your sump, it would be a good choice. An adjustable return pump would also be a good decision to help you get it dialed in.
Thanks for the validation!

I'm going to use the Eshopps Eclipse S overflow box on this build - I'm assuming the template they provide will give me the proper height for proper draining and flow into the sump.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back