40 gallon tank supply list and places to buy?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the most basic you need a heater, salt, and something to move the water like a filter or powerhead. When I started I used a hang on back filter that are usually used for fresh water. Had the little carbon filter pads in it.

Don't be afraid to start small. Begin with a basic set up, maybe add some rock or sand in there too when you start. And let that be it for a bit. Let it cycle and begin with no corals. Get some reef safe fish and dip your feet into the water (pun intended;)) and when you are ready for corals, invest in a nice light. Start small, upgrade over time. But keep livestock in mind so you don't add any fish that will definitely eat corals. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the most basic you need a heater, salt, and something to move the water like a filter or powerhead. When I started I used a hang on back filter that are usually used for fresh water. Had the little carbon filter pads in it.

Don't be afraid to start small. Begin with a basic set up, maybe add some rock or sand in there too when you start. And let that be it for a bit. Let it cycle and begin with no corals. Get some reef safe fish and dip your feet into the water (pun intended;)) and when you are ready for corals, invest in a nice light. Start small, upgrade over time. But keep livestock in mind so you don't add any fish that will definitely eat corals. Does that make sense?
This is exactly what I plan on doing, basically just keeping rock for a while while I learn

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder from petco right now as it's their 50% sale (or at least still was last week).

From there amazon is your friend. 80 buck black box led from Amazon, get a decent eheim Jager heater, and invest in a few powerheads.

Chewy regularly has half off sales on live rock and caribsea sand. Good to keep eyes on. Reef crystals is also on sale for 40 bucks for a bucket right now.

Could get close to keeping it under 500, but will go over likely adding livestock

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for Petco 1/2 off sale, I think one is on now 40 breeder 79.00. Tidal 110 filter Amazon 80.00. it has a surface skimmer feature. Amazon has cheap power heads 2 for 17.00 480 gph. Been running the same ones going on two years. Petco Carib sea pink Fiji is cheap. Search Amazon for Carib sea south seas rock 59.99 40 pounds. Find a t5 grow light fixture 4 bulb 48 inch at 120.00. ATI True atintic x blue plus x 3 they are 26.00 apiece. Black paint for the background used on the outside, hardware store get egg crate from the lighting department for your lid. Full reef ready tank. Will need to do water change weekly

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder from petco right now as it's their 50% sale (or at least still was last week).

From there amazon is your friend. 80 buck black box led from Amazon, get a decent eheim Jager heater, and invest in a few powerheads.

Chewy regularly has half off sales on live rock and caribsea sand. Good to keep eyes on. Reef crystals is also on sale for 40 bucks for a bucket right now.

Could get close to keeping it under 500, but will go over likely adding livestock
Wow, I didn't even read your post until I did mine, scary

Upvote 0

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iowa, I actually ordered a 40 gallon breeder tank today haha

Looks like there's a forum for Iowa that mostly lists sales. It's the classified section. Actually Looks pretty active. Good to keep eyes on

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preferably both

I think a hang on back filter, a budget light like the noopsyche mini (x2), dry rock, dry sand, bacteria+ammonia, a decent heater + controller (if possible), and one or two cheaper (but quality) wavemakers would get the job done at a comfortable price. The only extra things I'd suggest would be a mesh net lid, (non tigrio) copepods, and some sand or rubble for aquabiomics. Eventually you can add things like a sump, more hang on back equipment (refugium/skimmer), etc.

If you set up a QT, it may push you slightly over the budget depening on what all you get, but it is worth it. Alternatively, you would buy the fish pre-QT'd. All fish should be quarantined or purchased pre-quarantined, and you will regret not doing so once a disease manages to slip by if you choose not to go that route.

The other thing is t not skimp on things. If you can't get the right one (or a quality one) of whatever, wait till you can. This doesn't mean get top of the line stuff, but rather don't go with the dirt cheap off brand stuff.

Upvote 0

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing is t not skimp on things. If you can't get the right one (or a quality one) of whatever, wait till you can. This doesn't mean get top of the line stuff, but rather don't go with the dirt cheap off brand stuff.
I have to agree with this more than anything here. There are some things that off brands are alright for and others where it makes sense to save a little. Lighting imo is one of those. You could get a $80 no name black box with basically only on and off, or you could save a bit more and get something way nicer in the $300 range. Something that is reliable, not a fire hazard, and is proven to grow whatever corals you want to later is super important! And you have to remember the light will possibly be one of the biggest factors in how your tank looks. I have used disco casting led lights before. Having an old Kessel 360 though, it makes my tank look SO MUCH nicer, I will never go back to disco making lights again. It's that big of a visual difference.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with this more than anything here. There are some things that off brands are alright for and others where it makes sense to save a little. Lighting imo is one of those. You could get a $80 no name black box with basically only on and off, or you could save a bit more and get something way nicer in the $300 range. Something that is reliable, not a fire hazard, and is proven to grow whatever corals you want to later is super important! And you have to remember the light will possibly be one of the biggest factors in how your tank looks. I have used disco casting led lights before. Having an old Kessel 360 though, it makes my tank look SO MUCH nicer, I will never go back to disco making lights again. It's that big of a visual difference.
I’m cool with going over my budget a bit if it means better aesthetics and a healthier tank.

Upvote 0

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cool with going over my budget a bit if it means better aesthetics and a healthier tank.
I don't think you'll regret saving up for nice products. I used YouTube a bunch, watching videos that show different types of lights. Can always keep an eye out for used locally too to help save. I got my lights used, helped a bunch with the cost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
633C0B63-95F8-4D82-9FDC-90D55F8E0778.jpeg
And so it begins…..

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back