Can I add this to my reef tank?

Reef_Boy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I recently set up a 40 gallon IM cube tank and I’m planning on making a reef. I cycled it correctly and I set up an aquascape with lots of places to swim and hiding room. I haven’t put anything tin yet but I am going to this weekend. I really really like some tangs, fox faces, butterfly’s, and wrasses. I understand that these fish get very large and might not work in my tank very well. But I’ve also read that if you buy them small they will only grow to the size of their tank… If that is true I would love to get one of the fish listed above but I want to get some feedback before I do it. So… any of those fish work in the size tank I have? My tank and aquascape are shown and I also showed pictures of some of the fish I would want. Thanks!!

IMG_3018.jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg IMG_2414.jpeg IMG_2077.jpeg IMG_1736.jpeg IMG_1734.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately fish growing to the size of the tank is a myth. Since you have a smaller tank, I would avoid all the species you listed except some of the smaller wrasses.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, thankfully you are doing research and asking questions but to answer your question, no. none of those fish you posted would be able to into your size tank, they are get way to big. and no, getting the fish small and putting it in and undersized tank will not keep the fish small at all, thats a straight up myth. all it will do is stress your fish even more. All those fish there need a tank at least double yours.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is "way" to new to put in any of those fish you listed. Maybe some small gobies or bleenies and even those won't be happy in there yet. You need some growth on those rocks or any fish you add will be severely stressed.

Sorry

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I recently set up a 40 gallon IM cube tank and I’m planning on making a reef. I cycled it correctly and I set up an aquascape with lots of places to swim and hiding room. I haven’t put anything tin yet but I am going to this weekend. I really really like some tangs, fox faces, butterfly’s, and wrasses. I understand that these fish get very large and might not work in my tank very well. But I’ve also read that if you buy them small they will only grow to the size of their tank… If that is true I would love to get one of the fish listed above but I want to get some feedback before I do it. So… any of those fish work in the size tank I have? My tank and aquascape are shown and I also showed pictures of some of the fish I would want. Thanks!!

IMG_3018.jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg IMG_2414.jpeg IMG_2077.jpeg IMG_1736.jpeg IMG_1734.jpeg
Agree with Waters, tangs and foxfaces grow quite a bit, one of the tangs you have pictured is a naso/lipstick, they grow to about 18 inches. There are some smaller tangs but you need to do your research. There are some wonderful fish that will fit in your tank, but for the ones you listed, you need a 6 foot tank, and even then only a couple of the ones listed.

pacificnewt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sometimes people beat a dead horse on R2R. After the 8th person said his tank isn’t big enough, I think we can move onto what fish CAN go into that tank. A 40 gallon is a great size that can house a wide variety of fish and invertebrates. Most clownfish, fire fish, gobies, blennies, damsels, and cardinal fish can fit in there. Obviously not all of them together can fit but you can find a nice assortment of species within that list that would work well in that tank. However, my list is just what I can think of off the top of my head. There’s tons of other species that can work such as certain types of wrasse, dwarf angelfish, etc. You are doing a good job so far! Good on you for researching and asking questions. You’re already doing better than most hobbyists LOL. I would suggest searching something like “40 gallon stocking list” on R2R and reading through some of the previous posts and discussions. Many people have created very unique stocking lists for 40 gallon tanks and have posted them online here. Just keep reading and asking questions!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back