400+ GALLON TANK - ACRYLIC OR GLASS?

-Rich-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're going to be building a new home and want to put a large saltwater tank in one of the walls. If going with a large 400+ gallon tank is there any preference or benefit between glass and acrylic?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 470 acrylic and 150 frag low iron.

Go low iron glass... it's much much heavier, but you won't have to worry (as much) about scratches from yourself / rock / clean up crew.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on how careful you are going to be. Acrylic scratches. But acrylic can be polished.

I was prepared to install a 750g Starfire tank in my house, when our 340g glass sump, only 2 years old, burst out an entire corner seal overnight. When topoff came on to tried to refill the sump it converted the system to freshwater and we lost all our corals --- 1000's of pieces.

I've had a glass frag tank blow a seam as well in the past 10 years. But I have been using Acrylic tanks for almost 40 years and never had one fail. I had a crappy built 400g have a seam start to go bad after 18 years. But it gave us notice and we replaced the tank without any loss of life or water.

I now have the pieces of a 750g starfire sitting in a box in my yard, and a 3 month old 750g Titan Exhibits Acrylic Display tank in my house. Transparent seams on 1.5" acrylic. Crystal Clear. And scratch free for the moment. It will get scratched, but I have the kits to polish both inside and out.

Most importantly, at night I sleep comfortably not worrying that a seam is going to blow.

Dave B

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 470 acrylic and 150 frag low iron.

Go low iron glass... it's much much heavier, but you won't have to worry (as much) about scratches from yourself / rock / clean up crew.

It will still scratch. The long and short of it is for the hobbyist to "always" be careful when cleaning a display regardless of acrylic or glass. To include low iron.

Having a medium sized display that is glass coming in at 210 gallons I wish I went acrylic. Logistically it is a problem. It can be worked around for sure with bodies but to be honest moving large glass boxes is both cumbersome and time consuming. Acrylic is lighter and easier to move around. Quicker to build a temp stand, pick up, set, and move. Glass can be done but it is just, well, heavier.

As O2 mentioned, and it is a great point, you can always buff out both inside and outside scuffs with acrylic. If this is a long term display (and they all should be to be honest) acrylic would be my choice.

Note: I have not owned a display of the size you are describing so this is based off my current 210 glass compared to a 100 gallon acrylic I owned in 2000.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the low iron glass, the best reason for a large in wall tank that you'll probably have for a long time is the simple fact it will scratch much less easier and on a long term setup that's nice to have as the years go on.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will still scratch. The long and short of it is for the hobbyist to "always" be careful when cleaning a display regardless of acrylic or glass. To include low iron.

Having a medium sized display that is glass coming in at 210 gallons I wish I went acrylic. Logistically it is a problem. It can be worked around for sure with bodies but to be honest moving large glass boxes is both cumbersome and time consuming. Acrylic is lighter and easier to move around. Quicker to build a temp stand, pick up, set, and move. Glass can be done but it is just, well, heavier.

As O2 mentioned, and it is a great point, you can always buff out both inside and outside scuffs with acrylic. If this is a long term display (and they all should be to be honest) acrylic would be my choice.

Note: I have not owned a display of the size you are describing so this is based off my current 210 glass compared to a 100 gallon acrylic I owned in 2000.

True I did in tank scratch removals, but that's for the big scratches.

When you take a weird lighting shot, especially with the lights off, wow you can see how many scatches there are... swirls... etc... this coming from somebody who has owned many black sports cars and has paid $$$$ for paint correction. So saying I'm careful is an understatement.

You couldn't do this with glass though :p

Attachments

• 470-cinderBlocks.jpg
    470-cinderBlocks.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 118

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again the perennial glass v acrylic. Here are two links making the case for acrylic and Tenecor in particular.

All glass tanks will leak >>>

Why acrylic is the better choice >>>

Also think about how you are going to move that glass beast. Heavy is an understatement.

And we can make it from acrylic exactly the way you want for much less than glass.

All the best.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again the perennial glass v acrylic. Here are two links making the case for acrylic and Tenecor in particular.

Also think about how you are going to move that glass beast. Heavy is an understatement.

And we can make it from acrylic exactly the way you want for much less than glass.

All the best.

Guess for huge tanks that all makes sense.

I never dealt with a glass tank larger than 150, which my brother in law and I could move, we might have had a third, can't remember.

A guy from the local reef club and I got the 470 into the house ourselves.

Had tons of space!

BTW : Funny looking back on that tank, that house we bought in 2009 for 390k, sold in 2019 for 690k and today is worth 1.4m... have to love the Austin market!

Attachments

• 470-doorTight.jpg
    470-doorTight.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 98

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess for huge tanks that all makes sense.

I never dealt with a glass tank larger than 150, which my brother in law and I could move, we might have had a third, can't remember.

A guy from the local reef club and I got the 470 into the house ourselves.

Had tons of space!

BTW : Funny looking back on that tank, that house we bought in 2009 for 390k, sold in 2019 for 690k and today is worth 1.4m... have to love the Austin market!
Talk about a tight fit. Nice.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go acrylic. lighter than glass so it's easier to move and even glass can scratch. You can never polish scratches out of glass. The seams are also welded together by the solvent and stronger than silicone.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about a tight fit. Nice.

Yeah I had it built to fit the wall exactly, didn't think about getting it in...

Really sad the tank builder passed away a year or two ago, I had just spoken to him pretty close to when he passed. Even made his website.

Fit well on the wall :)

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had it built to fit the wall exactly, didn't think about getting it in...

Really sad the tank builder passed away a year or two ago, I had just spoken to him pretty close to when he passed. Even made his website.

OP, see the video? Only acrylic can give you this kind of clarity. No kind of glass can come close to this. For your reference, here is a 72 inch 400 gallon we offer. Beginning at $3,000.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat for a while went back in forth. i wanted a large FOWLR . however the tank will be above a basement . floors are supported, but not to the degree for a large system. so i end up going with a 200 gal. glass mast produced tank got on sale for 40% off

anyway to your question. my honest option make the take a peninsula room divider you will thank we later.
if you have the builder move in the tank and you dont think you're going to move anytime in the next 10-15 years then maybe glass.
but if you and a few friends have to move the beast into the house then acrylic?

man it's a hard choice i owned a 240 GC years and years ago 2 guys could move it was so nice.

I think that there are move glass tank out there so ppl are more comfortable with them. I have been thinking of getting a small acrylic tank just to have experience with them.
some day i would like a monster tank.

anyway good luck and keep us posted on the journey, I want to see what you do.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nice tank man, i even like the sound of the water sloshing around. not sure I could live with it full time tho. lol the other half heck no I would be in the dog house.

it sure is a beauty what are the dems?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the best.

As an aside ty for posting. I've been searching for an acrylic vendor.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside ty for posting. I've been searching for an acrylic vendor.
We have been doing this for some time now. Also have a commercial fabrication division. Let us know if we can help you out. Here is our latest business line Grade Displays. Reptile habitats are rolling out in January.

ChrissyK75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the best.
Can you discuss concerns about bowing and yellowing with acrylic? I've heard those can be issues. But I do like the idea of being able to buff out scratches and lighter weight.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you discuss concerns about bowing and yellowing with acrylic? I've heard those can be issues. But I do like the idea of being able to buff out scratches and lighter weight.
Modern acrylic does not yellow; that is a myth that glass manufacturers continue to talk about. Bowing can occur on any material that is not adequately sized.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back like 35 years ago the original acrylic used for aquariums if left out in the sun could yellow. But that hasn't been the case with acrylic in decades.

Bowing is only an issue pending the size of material used. My previous 560 the front panel was 10x3 made from 1.25" material and had no bowing. My new tank is a 750 front panel is only 10x2.5 but there is 4' of water pushing against it. The tank is made from 1.5' material and it is laser straight in the top / middle / bottom of the main panel.

Dave B

"

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat for a while went back in forth. i wanted a large FOWLR . however the tank will be above a basement . floors are supported, but not to the degree for a large system. so i end up going with a 200 gal. glass mast produced tank got on sale for 40% off

anyway to your question. my honest option make the take a peninsula room divider you will thank we later.
if you have the builder move in the tank and you dont think you're going to move anytime in the next 10-15 years then maybe glass.
but if you and a few friends have to move the beast into the house then acrylic?

man it's a hard choice i owned a 240 GC years and years ago 2 guys could move it was so nice.

I think that there are move glass tank out there so ppl are more comfortable with them. I have been thinking of getting a small acrylic tank just to have experience with them.
some day i would like a monster tank.

anyway good luck and keep us posted on the journey, I want to see what you do.

to quote my own post for anyone searching...
about 4 months later i still dont have my glass tank. I knew it was going to be a long wait.
but in that time I keep thinking i should have gone bigger and acrylic as this build is for a FOWLR 200 is on the smaller side for me.

when talking big tanks i think acrylic is the way to go? if I was to do it again I might get a small acrylic tank and run it for a year then decide.

Back