400gal and multiple tangs... mission impossible?

D0661E750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep this short guys. I am aware of the aggression so I would like to add the fish all at the same time, please advise if there is any other way that could make this right or a smooth as possible. Need your expertise and experience. I will use mirror technique, dark mode for a few dayz, and will feed them 4-5x a day.

Currently in DT:
  • Hippo- L (5-6")
  • Sailfin- ML(4-5")
  • Yellow- M (3"), shy and gets bullied by Hippo and Sailfin
  • 3 small damsels
  • Coral beauty- S (2")
Holding Tank - Sump (4 stages)
1st stage: no fish
2nd stage:
Desjardini- L(5")
Emperor Angel- L(5")
Powder Blue- M(4")
Yellow- M(4")

3rd stage:
  • Yellow Eye Kole M(4")
  • Powder Brown- M (3")
  • Juvenile Koran Angel- S(2-3")
  • Niger Trigger- S (1- 1.5")
  • Percula Clown- S (2")
4th stage:
  • Orange Shoulder juve- M (3")
  • Pair of Clarkii town (2" and 3")
Quarantine Tank:
  • Gem Tang- L (4"-5")
  • Sohal-L (5")
  • Achilles juvenile -(3")--mean little guy, no fear with Sohal
  • Purple Tang juvenile (2")--mean little guy, no fear with Sohal
10gal sump:
  • 4 babies percula clown (1.5")
20gal QT:
  • Blonde- M (4-5")
  • Clown tang M (4-5")
Strategy: Capture the tangs from DT then place them in the sump. Once all settled, I will add all the fish in the DT at the same time.

Mixed thoughts here, should I add the small tangs like the Juve Purple tang and Achilles first?

Another reefer is also selling me his 4" Purple tang so I am still on the fence if I should buy it. I believe spreading the aggression would be a key to success, seeing multiple same shape tangs will divert aggression? I could be wrong......?

Per attached video, it's not a mission impossible

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good read on multiple tangs from Elliott at Marine Collectors. I bought 5 tangs from MC and they were the first fish in my tank after my clowns. They were all juvenile. About a month later I added a mature purple from another one of my tanks that was really aggressive in the original tank, but it has been in the new tank with the other 5 tangs for over a year now and has not shown any aggression.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One strategy with tang aggression is to redo the rockwork a bit when you add new tangs. Functions as a bit of a territory reset where they fall into a new pecking order. Otherwise, an established but smaller tang might defend territory against a bigger new tang more aggressively, resulting in injury to one or both fish.

I have confidence you will do well with the plan you've laid out. Good luck!

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have almost all of these Tangs in my 800g 10ft tank and added them in order to make sure they don't fight. My fish are not huge, but good size.

I added all the Zebrasoma first at one time. The 6 yellows and the purple still will fight occasionally, but It only lasts a few days. Then I added Sailfin x2, hippo x2, kole, Tomini, Moorish Idol and my dwarf angels. Next I added the Achilles and Powdered blue tang. Then a month later I added my Angelfish (Emperor and Queen) Last I added the Sohal. I've always considered a clown tang, but I've heard they are the meanest of them all.

My Sailfin is the biggest fish and the bully right now, but I can already see the Sohal trying to prove itself!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back