40b lighting

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted. Unfortunately, the past 3 years have been pretty devastating. Without going into details, I'm starting over from complete scratch with a 40b. I have been reading the black box study the past few days. I was loving thread but pretty disappointed with how it abruptly ended. Anyway, I'm considering either the noopsyche or viparspectra lights. I'm certain I would need 2 noopsyche fixtures for a 40b but does anyone have any thoughts or results on a 300w version viparspectra? What about 2 165w fixtures? I feel like that might be too much for a 40b.

My plans are for a mix of softies ls and very few spa. I will be going bigger eventually and turning this tank into a frag tank

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 300 watt fixture over my 40 b many years ago, worked great. At the time I didn't have access to a par meter so I wasn't sure where to have my levels and I wasn't a member here so I didnt have the resources. But that light will cover that 40b and you'll be able to grow whatever you want in it.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I have a 300w mars aqua (not one you’re looking at, but still a bb light) over my 50, which is basically the same footprint just a bit taller and the corals started growing much faster. I started with a current orbit marine.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 AI Prime 16HDs will be good and have good spread on a 36" tank. 300w Viparspectra is a bit overkill as you will never need to use it at full power. Noopsyche are better than a BB but you would need 2 or the ends of the will be shaded.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back