40B owners, opinions needed.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just setup a new 40B and will start stocking it this weekend. It will be a while before corals and anemones start to be added, but I need to decide on lighting and am having trouble deciding. I am planning on a mixed reef with mostly LPS and some anemones (BTA and Haddoni), maybe a few SPS down the road.

Let me know what you suggest and include pics of your 40B with suggested lights (if available).

I have considered everything from AI Prime, Radion, Kessil, even ReeFi Uno, most with the addition of an AL hybrid. I just can't decide. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated!

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have used the following lights on my 40B.

-AI Hydra 26HD
Currently using them now, seem to work great but I do get a bit of shadowing on SPS. Really went back to them as I had the best success with them on my previous tank.

-Noopsyche K7 Pro II
Great light that won't break the bank. I was one of the 'beta testers' here on R2R for these. Liked them a lot, they're light, look nice over the tank, and my coral seemed to be fine with them.

-Reefbreeders Photon II 24"
First light on my 40B, worked well, I added a "floating canopy" that mounted to the legs that come with the light. Probably one of the best lights I used when considering using LED's, shading, ect. I'm likely to go back to that light soon.

-Aquatic Life Hybrid w/ Kessils
Worked very well. Had the T5's to address shading issues and Kessils for the extra "umph" and shimmer. This had to come down as I moved and didn't have a good way to mount it anymore.

-Kessil Tuna Blue A360W's
Loved the look of the tank with these, but there were considerable shading concerns (hence I added them to the hybrid fixture)

I don't have pics of all these "at the ready", but you can check out my old and new build threads as well as the thread on the Noops to get some idea of the looks. Also, any of these lights will grow pretty much anything as your tank matures.

Hope this helps.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just setup a new 40B and will start stocking it this weekend. It will be a while before corals and anemones start to be added, but I need to decide on lighting and am having trouble deciding. I am planning on a mixed reef with mostly LPS and some anemones (BTA and Haddoni), maybe a few SPS down the road.

Let me know what you suggest and include pics of your 40B with suggested lights (if available).

I have considered everything from AI Prime, Radion, Kessil, even ReeFi Uno, most with the addition of an AL hybrid. I just can't decide. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated!
I am currently using 2 kessil A360WE on my 40B frag tank...

20210118_195439.jpg

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the thoughts. I had 2 x Hydra 26HD on my previous 4oB and was relatively happy with them. I think if I end up going with AI, Ecotec, or Kessil, I will pair them with the AL hybrid to help limit shadowing.

Anyone have any thoughts on using an Orphek Atlantik V4? It seems like a good option!

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think the Orphek would be a great option, but it's pretty pricy. What I like is the spread out LED's and for that, I'd just go with the ReefBreeders. But that's just me.

However, if I had the budget to get it easily, I'd get the Orphek to at least try it out. Hahaha!

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally was going with one Prime 16HD on a 20L but upgraded to a 40B mid cycle and currently going to ride the light out as my tank grows, then I'll probably add second prime. Ended up using the 20L as a quarantine tank. I saw a video online, I believe from BRS that showed two lights spaced apart provided excellent coverage off a 40B. From what I've seen online as long as you buy yourself a quality light it should hold its value if you decide to sell.

Here is my tank, blank, just like yours =D

Attachments

• PXL_20210210_205850737.jpg
    PXL_20210210_205850737.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 22

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 138 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back