40B QT question

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 40 gallon breeder as a quarantine/hospital tank around 3 months ago and added ammonia/bottled bacteria. I plan to have this tank set up permanently incase a fish gets sick and I can move them to it. I have an ammonia badge and watched the ammonia go up and overtime the ammonia disappeared. I have been testing the Nitrites using an API test kit and it matches up to the 5.0ppm mark which I am thinking it is much higher then 5.0ppm. My guess is that I put too much ammonia at the start and the tank is stuck with too high of nitrites. For filtration I am using a HOB with a MarinePure block in it, a sponge filter and a second MarinePure block sitting in the tank.

Should I go ahead and do a full 100% water change and restart with less ammonia and a new bottle of bacteria?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
API test kits are skewed with saltwater. I would use Salifert test kits to re assure yourself. But honestly I would just do a water change add some more bacteria and wait a couple days then you should be good to go. Would do a couple of test but honestly you should be fine!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back