40B Spontaneously Sprung a Leak -- Need Advice!

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just spontaneously started leaking this morning -- I might not have noticed for a while if I wasn't concerned with a specific coral.

I've drained all but the bottom ~5 gallons (and can't get a siphon going for the life of me) and the sand.

All live rock and most of the tank water Is divided between the 10-gallon emergency tank I just put together and a 32-gallon brute. My BTA and a little Xenia are in the Brute, but almost everything else is crammed in that little tank. I put my sand-sifting seastar and brittle star in a 5-gallon bucket with sand and a heater. I don't think they'd do well in the thimble with the rest of the tank inhabitants.

How long can everything stay like this before they start freaking out, dying, or killing each other? I need to look at the warranty on my tank since I've only had it since the end of July.

Can/should I reuse the sand, or should I start with a fresh bag?

Also, please give me pity. This is not how I wanted my Saturday to go. :(

Leaky Tank.jpg

10-Gal Emergency Tank.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can re-use the sand - although you'll probably want to rinse it out first (assuming it will just go in a bucket until you're ready for it). Most of the beneficial bacteria isn't in the sand anyway. Everything you have in the 10-gallon should be fine (your fish are fairly small). You've got the tank water, the rock, the corals - and your beneficial bacteria. You may have to test more frequently to ensure your filtration is keeping up with the bioload.

I'd probably move at least the Xenia into the 10-gallon as well and possibly the BTA (but I'm not sure how large either are). You also may want to cover your intake with some netting to avoid "chumming" your BTA.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can re-use the sand - although you'll probably want to rinse it out first (assuming it will just go in a bucket until you're ready for it). Most of the beneficial bacteria isn't in the sand anyway. Everything you have in the 10-gallon should be fine (your fish are fairly small). I'd probably move at least the Xenia into the 10-gallon as well and possibly the BTA (but I'm not sure how large either are). You'll need to cover your intake with some netting to avoid "chumming" your BTA.
The Xenia is glued and has grown over the glue, so I don't know how I could get it off (I don't have any fragging supplies). The BTA is firmly attached to a rock (it's 3-4" across, so I don't know where it could attach in this 10-gal. Once I've got the nightmare cleaned up, I might be able to spare an hour or two trying to coax it to release if it's gonna be more than just today without the DT set up.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xenia is glued and has grown over the glue, so I don't know how I could get it off (I don't have any fragging supplies). The BTA is firmly attached to a rock (it's 3-4" across, so I don't know where it could attach in this 10-gal. Once I've got the nightmare cleaned up, I might be able to spare an hour or two trying to coax it to release if it's gonna be more than just today without the DT set up.
Well, just throw a heater in the brute along with a wavemaker or two to ensure you're still getting good circulation at least.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just throw a heater in the brute along with a wavemaker or two to ensure you're still getting good circulation at least.
I'd already done both -- guess I forgot to mention that. :) It's got a heater and powerhead in there -- so does the bucket with the stars.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ve got things pretty much under control for the time being. Where was the leak on the tank?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move stuff all the time... you can reuse the sand, but as noted early, rinse it (a little bit) just because it is usually a magnate for detritus. keeping your water parameters solid is all that really matters. you could keep everyting in a trashcan forever if you ensure water quality. good luck ... sorry for a sucky saturday!

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JFC, this is the perfect way to ensure no one actually uses their 5-year warranty. There's no way in hell I'm shipping a 40-gallon tank to Wisconsin.

Is it worth it for someone who is relatively handy to replace the silicone and do a 24-hour water check? I'm not the tidiest caulker, but I can get the job done. Or should I just buy a new d*** tank?

1632601507647.png

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JFC, this is the perfect way to ensure no one actually uses their 5-year warranty. There's no way in hell I'm shipping a 40-gallon tank to Wisconsin.

Is it worth it for someone who is relatively handy to replace the silicone and do a 24-hour water check? I'm not the tidiest caulker, but I can get the job done. Or should I just buy a new d*** tank?

1632601507647.png
Personally, I’d say not worth it for a generic 40b.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, should I?
they both have their pros and cons.. I find acrylic to be "safer". no leaks, easy to drill, super light, strong. Glass is cheaper, i find it clearer (especially the low iron glass).. but it's super heavy, risky to drill, and if not careful you could break the silicone seal cleaning it with a scrapper (though I have never done this).. the biggest pros for glass is cost and .. my favorite.. it way harder to accidentally scratch.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ve got things pretty much under control for the time being. Where was the leak on the tank?
As best as I can tell, under the left front edge somewhere. I still need to remove that last bit of water and the sand. I had to take a break for my poor back and to rage-eat an Uncrustables.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a new 40 gallon. Some of these leaks need a panel removed, caulking cleaned and then a reseal(because the caulking is between panels not just on the inside). You can reuse the sand, I put mine in a bucket with a lid and drove 17 hours before I was able to get it back in the tank.
to get the rest of the water out, you can push the sand to one side of the tank, this will shove the water to one half, raising the water line slightly, then use something like maxijet or small similar pump attached to tubing to suck out more water without a siphon

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that stinks.. that would ruin my day for sure, sorry you have to deal with that..

If you have the money, I'd go with a new tank rather than repair the old one, but that is mainly because I think 40g is kinda small... You have it all torn down anyway so why not get something more in the 60-80g range?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that stinks.. that would ruin my day for sure, sorry you have to deal with that..

If you have the money, I'd go with a new tank rather than repair the old one, but that is mainly because I think 40g is kinda small... You have it all torn down anyway so why not get something more in the 60-80g range?
I'm considering maybe upgrading in size a bit, but I don't want to have to buy a new stand as well. It's not totally out of the question, though.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back