40B Spontaneously Sprung a Leak -- Need Advice!

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kittenbritches

I stopped in at my Petsmart today and took a look at the 75 and 125 tanks...

These tanks both appear to be designed with freshwater use in mind. They are NOT pre-drilled for a sump and overflow boxes. You would need to drill it yourself and glue in your own overflows if you can find them.

The stands also are not designed to house a sump. The center vertical dividers appear to be load bearing so I would not advise removing them. The openings are not large enough to house a sump big enough to run a tank that size.

Here is the 75g

20210926_100305.jpg
20210926_100316.jpg
20210926_100355.jpg

Here is the 125g

20210926_100433.jpg
20210926_100438.jpg
20210926_100502.jpg

Either of these tanks CAN be used for a reef, however you will either need to use canister filters and other HoB equipment (Hey it works on my 55g) Or, invest in a new stand designed for a sump and then DIY your overflows and drains. Oh and the tanks and stands are ONLY sold as a set so....?
Thank you for looking at those for me! I've heard that Marineland may be discontinuing a lot of their tanks because of QC issues.

For now, I just picked up another 40B, some sanded plywood, a few sheets of polystyrene, and some black paint.

I can't find any flaws with my original tank. The silicone doesn't show any signs of cracking, peeling, or otherwise failing, and there aren't any cracks in the tank, either. Despite my using a level and square when initially setting it up, the only thing I can figure is that it was just slightly enough out of level to start leaking. I wish it would have done that three months ago. :rolleyes:

Soooo...I'm going to put the sheet of wood and layer of foam beneath the new tank, and hope that does the trick.

I'm actually going to be upgrading within the month, but I can't stand the idea of all of my stock existing in a quarter of its previous space, and don't want to spend every day after work mixing and changing out water.

So I'm out back in the heat, rinsing sand, about to start sanding, gluing, and painting, then do a friggin leak test on the new 40B.

Next I have to decide if I want to run two tanks or help my sister get set up. :D

The sand was pretty clean!
8E5E4BD3-6587-4DC5-9C61-B6D07DCBCC71.jpeg

My state of the art saw horse. :cool:
0565AF68-E1FF-47B4-96AB-984B34DC75FC.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for looking at those for me! I've heard that Marineland may be discontinuing a lot of their tanks because of QC issues.

For now, I just picked up another 40B, some sanded plywood, a few sheets of polystyrene, and some black paint.

I can't find any flaws with my original tank. The silicone doesn't show any signs of cracking, peeling, or otherwise failing, and there aren't any cracks in the tank, either. Despite my using a level and square when initially setting it up, the only thing I can figure is that it was just slightly enough out of level to start leaking. I wish it would have done that three months ago. :rolleyes:

Soooo...I'm going to put the sheet of wood and layer of foam beneath the new tank, and hope that does the trick.

I'm actually going to be upgrading within the month, but I can't stand the idea of all of my stock existing in a quarter of its previous space, and don't want to spend every day after work mixing and changing out water.

So I'm out back in the heat, rinsing sand, about to start sanding, gluing, and painting, then do a friggin leak test on the new 40B.

Next I have to decide if I want to run two tanks or help my sister get set up. :D

Looks like my saw horse, lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, I think you made a good choice. You already know you can run that tank with your existing equipment and it will hold your stock. Stick with what works for now and then you can invest wisely when upgrading.

More tanks = more work and more ways for things to go wrong. Personally I regret setting up the 32g I have. That tank has been a headache for me. I am considering pulling out all of the stock and possibly turning it into a QT or hospital tank.

BTW, love the sawhorse!! haha

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news, guys. My son just graced me with his presence and I turned the whites on to show him how everything was faring in the 10g and...we lost another chromis. :(

Awww... Sorry to hear that... Hope everything else survives.

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an air stone, put it in the bucket with the stars. It worked like a charm for me when I had a bacterial bloom and had to shove a bunch of stuff in a bucket. It will also move water so it heats a little more evenly from what I’ve seen.

Dewman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As best as I can tell, under the left front edge somewhere. I still need to remove that last bit of water and the sand. I had to take a break for my poor back and to rage-eat an Uncrustables.

If it is underneath where you can’t see it use some Flex Seal you can get it at Walmart or most hardware stores. Used it on mine and works great.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an air stone, put it in the bucket with the stars. It worked like a charm for me when I had a bacterial bloom and had to shove a bunch of stuff in a bucket. It will also move water so it heats a little more evenly from what I’ve seen.
I dropped a power head and heater in with 'em. I seem to have those in spades. Haha

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is underneath where you can’t see it use some Flex Seal you can get it at Walmart or most hardware stores. Used it on mine and works great.
I was actually looking at the flex seal whilst at Home Depot this morning, but I'd already committed to the new tank. I probably will re-seal it and bless someone with a need. Or let it sit in storage for the next decade. >.>

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was today years old when I learned that spray paint and polystyrene don't work well together. ;Penguin

AB481EF1-B7C0-4E07-BE1A-B74777B499C8.jpeg

So much for my perfect lines.

Uh oh... I didn't know you were going to paint the Styrofoam or I would have warned you!! Sorry for that.. Yes, the solvents in the paint that keep it liquid, eat through foam like a plague of locusts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh... I didn't know you were going to faint the Styrofoam or I would have warned you!! Sorry for that.. Yes, the solvents in the paint that keep it liquid, eat through foam like a plague of locusts.
I'm holding you responsible! Haha. But seriously *** my life. Now I have to decide if I'm crazy enough to re-do it, or crazy enough to live with it. </3

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just spontaneously started leaking this morning -- I might not have noticed for a while if I wasn't concerned with a specific coral.

I've drained all but the bottom ~5 gallons (and can't get a siphon going for the life of me) and the sand.

All live rock and most of the tank water Is divided between the 10-gallon emergency tank I just put together and a 32-gallon brute. My BTA and a little Xenia are in the Brute, but almost everything else is crammed in that little tank. I put my sand-sifting seastar and brittle star in a 5-gallon bucket with sand and a heater. I don't think they'd do well in the thimble with the rest of the tank inhabitants.

How long can everything stay like this before they start freaking out, dying, or killing each other? I need to look at the warranty on my tank since I've only had it since the end of July.

Can/should I reuse the sand, or should I start with a fresh bag?

Also, please give me pity. This is not how I wanted my Saturday to go. :(

Leaky Tank.jpg

10-Gal Emergency Tank.jpg

I feel for you i have a new 125 gallon tank when I first set it up I filled it with water added enough salt make 110 gallons that makes then the next day discovered I had a leak on a brand-new tank luckily enough I’ll head in there was a water and some Sand I ended up having to drain at the store I bought it from was one ticket back but didn’t have replacement so I did the repair myself and one of her almost seems heavily with aquatic silicon sealant which seems to have stopped the leak as for how long everything else can last in the way you’ve got it I have no idea I wish I had some answers for youDo you only thing I can do is to wish you good luck and hope everything survives

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back