40b stocking plan

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother is setting up a 40 breeder mixed reef and is getting ready to start introducing fish. Problem is, neither of us are really sure what the stocking plan should look like since most of the fish he's gone with carry the semi-agressive tag. I've listed the fish he wants to have in it below. Any input is appreciated.

Mccoskers wrasse
Clownfish pair
Neon dottyback
Lawnmower blenny
Flame hawkfish

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my biggest regrets is adding a dotty back. But I’ve had it 3 years now so

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all dottyback or something specific to the neon? I haven't heard that before.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all dottyback or something specific to the neon? I haven't heard that before.
I honestly don’t know. But mines done it the whole time I’ve had it. 2 different tanks and does the same thing. Digs under a rock and basically doesn’t come out except to feed.

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know. But mines done it the whole time I’ve had it. 2 different tanks and does the same thing. Digs under a rock and basically doesn’t come out except to feed.
Huh. Well, I don't see the digging itself being an issue in his case. The fact that it'll rarely be seen might. Is there anything you'd suggest as a substitution?

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neon dottyback is a bro. he darts in and around the rockwork all day but isn't afraid to swim in open water either. I had some aggression issues with him early on but him and the clowns figured it out. gorgeous fish with a lot of personality. My stocking list for my 40b is 1 tomini tang 4 green chromis 2 clownfish and 1 neon dottyback. I would consider this heavily stocked.

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neon dottyback is a bro. he darts in and around the rockwork all day but isn't afraid to swim in open water either. I had some aggression issues with him early on but him and the clowns figured it out. gorgeous fish with a lot of personality. My stocking list for my 40b is 1 tomini tang 4 green chromis 2 clownfish and 1 neon dottyback. I would consider this heavily stocked.
Good that the aggression worked itself out for you. I have to ask though, what's the plan for the tomini? Swap it out or upgrade to a larger tank when the time comes? Not trying to be tang-policey here, I'm just curious. I'm upgrading to a 40 breeder as well and had considered one of the smaller tangs (specifically the tomini). I've decided I'm not going that route at this point, but if you do plan on keeping yours long term I'd like to see how that plays out.

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally changed my brother's mind on his stocking list today. I bought myself a green mandarin and he liked it so much he wants one as well. I think the new stocking list is something along the lines of:

2x ocellaris clowns
1x blue/green chromis
1x lawnmower blenny
1x mandarin goby
1x purple firefish
1x fairy wrasse

Not sure if that's all, but he didn't mention any other substitutions or changes. This makes my original question moot I suppose. Although it makes the stocking plan easier to figure out. Not including the clowns and chromis since they're already in the tank, I'm thinking along the lines of:

Firefish > mandarin > lawnmower > wrasse and then calling it fully stocked.

I feel like that should limit any aggression issues, but in input would be appreciated.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good that the aggression worked itself out for you. I have to ask though, what's the plan for the tomini? Swap it out or upgrade to a larger tank when the time comes? Not trying to be tang-policey here, I'm just curious. I'm upgrading to a 40 breeder as well and had considered one of the smaller tangs (specifically the tomini). I've decided I'm not going that route at this point, but if you do plan on keeping yours long term I'd like to see how that plays out.
I've had my tomini for coming up on 2 years now and it's about 4 to 4.5 inches long, he's fat and healthy and has plenty of swimming space, I personally am comfortable with a tomini in a 3 foot tank but If it ever seemed like the tank size was becoming detrimental to his health I would upgrade to a 60b If I needed to go bigger in a pinch and I have plans to upgrade to a shallow 90 gallon in the next year or so. I do believe tho if you are going to keep one in a 40b or 45 or any other 3 foot tank you need to keep the scape minimal to provide ample swimming room.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will bite him every time he goes near them. There are exceptions to this but the majority of clowns (regardless of which one) will attack your hands. They are otherwise great fish, out all day, good color and mate easily in a tank.

Mark Hyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally changed my brother's mind on his stocking list today. I bought myself a green mandarin and he liked it so much he wants one as well. I think the new stocking list is something along the lines of:

2x ocellaris clowns
1x blue/green chromis
1x lawnmower blenny
1x mandarin goby
1x purple firefish
1x fairy wrasse

Not sure if that's all, but he didn't mention any other substitutions or changes. This makes my original question moot I suppose. Although it makes the stocking plan easier to figure out. Not including the clowns and chromis since they're already in the tank, I'm thinking along the lines of:

Firefish > mandarin > lawnmower > wrasse and then calling it fully stocked.

I feel like that should limit any aggression issues, but in input would be appreciated.
I kept four fairy wrasses (C. rubriventralis) a couple of decades ago- beautiful fish, very active. But they were escape artists, always in the sump. And when they started fighting over who was going to be the dominant one and transition to male, they were pretty tough on each other. Even consulted with Anthony Calfo about it on WWM back in the day- he said they just have to work it out. So keeping one may be a good plan.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back