40b stocking

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am just wondering if this would be a good stock list for a 40 gallon breeder. The order of fish from top to bottom would be my stocking order. The tank has a fairly good skimmer on it as well. Obviously I would be adding fish over a longish period of time so the bacterial colonies have time to grow with increasing fish mass. I think 7 fish would be fine? They are not generally big fish, the midas can get 6 inches long but he is skinny so maybe that mitigates it a bit? I have concerns a little bit with the last few fish because they can be aggressive from what I have read but I hope adding them later helps with that? Curious what you guys think!

Fish
1. Pink-Streaked Wrasse
2. Golden Midas Blenny
3. Royal Gramma
4. Flame Hawkfish
5. Banggai Cardinalfish (x3)

CuC
1. Blue Leg Hermit
2. Nassarius Snails
3. Trochus Snails
4. Cerith Snails

EDIT: I think I may need to remove 1 of the Cardinal Fish if 2 of them form a pair right? I would just keep my stocking level at 6 fish if that happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. I only have a pair of banggai, but they seem happy.
I think If I can find a pair I would go with 2, from what i'm seeing they almost always bully the 3rd wheel? If I cant find a pair I would get 3 to maximize the odds of a pair forming and then rehoming or taking the other back to the shop. I find this odd because I have seen alot of pictures of people tanks with a bunch of them but maybe it works because the aggression is dispersed amongst all of them?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think If I can find a pair I would go with 2, from what i'm seeing they almost always bully the 3rd wheel? If I cant find a pair I would get 3 to maximize the odds of a pair forming and then rehoming or taking the other back to the shop. I find this odd because I have seen alot of pictures of people tanks with a bunch of them but maybe it works because the aggression is dispersed amongst all of them?
I've seen many together in the tanks at my LFS, but I think that they're generally younger and they don't remain together en masse for very long. Very peaceful fish, though.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many together in the tanks at my LFS, but I think that they're generally younger and they don't remain together en masse for very long. Very peaceful fish, though.
Oh I may add them earlier then... I was worried they may gang up on the wrasse. I would probably add the hawkfish last then since they are listed as semi-aggressive. I have heard royal gramma can be aggressive but I think that's when you add more than 1.

EDIT: on second thought I will still probably add them last since I may need to take one out or swap for another if I get the gender wrong. I assume that might take some time to happen if they need to mature.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I may add them earlier then... I was worried they may gang up on the wrasse. I would probably add the hawkfish last then since they are listed as semi-aggressive. I have heard royal gramma can be aggressive but I think that's when you add more than 1.
The wrasse? No, they could probably care less. I've only ever had a single flame hawkfish or royal gramma, but I know people have kept more than one royal gramma together.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse? No, they could probably care less. I've only ever had a single flame hawkfish or royal gramma, but I know people have kept more than one royal gramma together.
I considered adding 2 royal gramma at one point but from what I saw you need a really big tank (relatively) for it to work out since they will stake out territory.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered adding 2 royal gramma at one point but from what I saw you need a really big tank for it to work out since they will stake out territory.
I'm just happy with the one. They like to spend a lot of time in whatever den/cave they've scoped out for themselves anyway.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Wish pink streaked weren't so expensive... I have 6 fish in my 40 b and imo that's the limit w the types I have. Enough room, for now. Good luck!
Yeah... They are not cheap but they seem to be perfect. Its like the non evil version of a six line haha

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks perfect. You are right that the bangaiis will not all get along...you could buy 3 and remove 1 or 2 as needed, buy an established pair, or just buy 1.

OP
OP
L

Liquidlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks perfect. You are right that the bangaiis will not all get along...you could buy 3 and remove 1 or 2 as needed, buy an established pair, or just buy 1.
Only thing i'm kinda worried about is the gramma bullying the wrasse. But I think proper rockwork and adding him after the wrasse would help? I am set on at least 2 banggai so if I can find a pair I will if not I will have to set one up.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With plenty of hiding places and rock, I wouldn't worry too much about the wrasse.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back