40g breeder Anemone dominant tank

christa1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have an 11 month tank that I have recently converted into an anemone-dominant tank. It’s a 40g breeder size display with 20g long sump. This is my first time with anemones and I am still learning. So far I have 3 bubble tips, 1 sebae, 1 long tentacle, about 8 rock flower nems, and 1 green haddoni carpet anemone (about 4” so far). My concern is with the haddoni. I have to admit, it was an impulse purchase and I hadn’t done much research on that specific species, but trusted the LFS who said it would be fine in that size tank. But in further research, I didn’t realize they got so large and they are considered very aggressive. I’ve had it for about a month now and it’s stayed in place and is hosting a porcelain crab, who seems to keep the other fish away from it. The clown is going back and forth between the 3 bubble tips (she still won’t let the male in). Anyway, should I rehome the haddoni or do you think it’d be ok in a 40g breeder size for a few years?

IMG_2680.jpeg IMG_2679.png IMG_2678.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish will probably be fine, but long-term you can't be 100% safe with the other fish (especially as it grows). Porcelain crabs are very peaceful so the fish are probably avoiding the Haddoni because they either know better or it's not really in their "swim lane".

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back