OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes (maybe 50%?). That skimmer I mentioned earlier should also help by removing proteins before they break down. Just remember to turn it off when you use additives, such as bacteria in a bottle (wait around 48 hours perhaps).
Ok, I’ll get to the water change today or tomorrow and I’m definitely going to get the skimmer. I just need to make a bit more money so it should be a few weeks. Would you say I should get this before a light and power heads?

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling with fish is cruel, imo. Can you see if you can leave the clownfish with a good LFS for at least a couple of weeks until you are sure your tank is ready?
This may be challenging because my LFS is moving in the next week or two so I’m not sure they would take my fish. Also if I did do this, would I just add fish food every few days? Or would I just let the tank sit? Also when would I know when the tank would be ready?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be challenging because my LFS is moving in the next week or two so I’m not sure they would take my fish. Also if I did do this, would I just add fish food every few days? Or would I just let the tank sit? Also when would I know when the tank would be ready?
Without fish, you could try adding fish food or use those liquid ammonia solutions (perhaps Dr. Tim’s Ammonium Chloride). You would know when the tank is ready when Nitrite levels reach 0 (and try to keep Nitrate below 10 ppm).
Ok, I’ll get to the water change today or tomorrow and I’m definitely going to get the skimmer. I just need to make a bit more money so it should be a few weeks. Would you say I should get this before a light and power heads?
The light can come last (lighting during the cycle can cause algae issues).

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without fish, you could try adding fish food or use those liquid ammonia solutions (perhaps Dr. Tim’s Ammonium Chloride). You would know when the tank is ready when Nitrite levels reach 0 (and try to keep Nitrate below 10).

The light can come last (lighting during the cycle can cause algae issues).
Ok I think I’ll be able to get the protein skimmer this weekend. Also My nitrite levels are already at zero. Would I wait for another cycle or am I good now?

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems a little short for a cycle (though you did add large quantities of bacteria). Was there any detectable ammonia or nitrite during the cycle?
I didn’t test during the first week because I didn’t think anything would happen but I had an ammonia alert thing in the tank the entire time and it never showed that ammonia started forming.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t test during the first week because I didn’t think anything would happen but I had an ammonia alert thing in the tank the entire time and it never showed that ammonia started forming.
Maybe your live rock was incredibly effective at removing waste and combatting die off , but I am still puzzled.
@brandon429 what are your thoughts?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its crazy. youre supposed to add fish at same time as the stuff or else itll just die off
So that’s what I did wrong (did not add fish/any substantial ammonia source)! I was under the impression that the bacteria would be hardy enough to survive. Thanks!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as i'm anxious to see what you end up with (lights and filtration).
I'm planning to swap my 37 gallon TALL tank for a 40 breeder at some point, just for better tank dimensions.

FWIW -- I'm just running 2 HOB power filters and that's working well for me, although I'm purposely not going overboard on livestock.
I can't really run a sump due to space constraints -- tank's in an otherwise useless nook in the house. (Plus, I just just don't want to).
*If you happen to go for an AIO kit like someone mentioned, I'd like to see/hear how that works out for you.

I'm also interested in how that glass lid works out for you with regards to lighting.
I just have a cheapie plastic hood that holds white light LEDs right now -- No corals but thinking about doing something so I can at least try a beginner soft coral or two (GSP, Kenya Tree, Xenia, something like that).

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as i'm anxious to see what you end up with (lights and filtration).
I'm planning to swap my 37 gallon TALL tank for a 40 breeder at some point, just for better tank dimensions.

FWIW -- I'm just running 2 HOB power filters and that's working well for me, although I'm purposely not going overboard on livestock.
I can't really run a sump due to space constraints -- tank's in an otherwise useless nook in the house. (Plus, I just just don't want to).
*If you happen to go for an AIO kit like someone mentioned, I'd like to see/hear how that works out for you.

I'm also interested in how that glass lid works out for you with regards to lighting.
I just have a cheapie plastic hood that holds white light LEDs right now -- No corals but thinking about doing something so I can at least try a beginner soft coral or two (GSP, Kenya Tree, Xenia, something like
I’m glad you’re interested! That’s good to hear! Anyway I went with the Tidal 75 HOB for a filter and I’m planning to just get a cheap led light bar form Amazon.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok quick update. I just did a daily test and I must have read it wrong yesterday because my nitrates are ate around 20ppm. I do t know if this changes anything but if something comes up in the other tests I’ll do another update.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! If you do a water change read the fritz enzyme bottle and dose again. I think i remember it saying you can dose with water changes (at a much lower quantity) and I'd recommend since a lot may have died off in the time between the first dose and the addition of the fish

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back