40g breeder build progression

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to start a saltwater tank after a few years of keeping fresh water. All I have right now is the tank and I am in the process of saving up for equipment. I know most of the equipment I am going to get. For a filter I am going to go with a seachem tidal 55 or aqua clear 40-55gal. For heater I am going to go with the fluval e200. I don’t really have a specific power head in mind but if anyone has any recommendations for some that are 30-40 dollars that would be amazing. That’s is all I think I might start out with but if anyone has any recommendations for other stuff I need or stuff I should get in the future that would be great. Also keep in mind I am a teen and don’t have a very big budget so I am trying to just start with the necessary things and get other things as needed.

image.jpg

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you get too far, drill it. Doesn't have to be expensive. You can use a 20 long as a sump with a couple homemade baffles. DRILL it.

I went sumpless in the beginning and it worked. Until my skimmer overflowed and almost burned my house down. I'm not going to mention the brand skimmer because it doesn't matter.

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second drilling it. You wont regret it and the diamond hole saws are cheap online.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you get too far, drill it. Doesn't have to be expensive. You can use a 20 long as a sump with a couple homemade baffles. DRILL it.

I went sumpless in the beginning and it worked. Until my skimmer overflowed and almost burned my house down. I'm not going to mention the brand skimmer because it doesn't matter.
Hi!
Thank you for the tip. I just had a few questions. Is there a specific place that would be best for drilling or does it not really matter. Also could build a sump/buy one for under $80. And would a canister filter work until I could build/buy a sump if it is more expensive. Also one last question. Could I put the sump tank right next to the display tank or does it have to be under it.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and help!
I second drilling it. You wont regret it and the diamond hole saws are cheap online.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with other on drilling it. just go SLOW and study and get a good bit.
watch lots of YT vied and read threads.

after all that if you still feel like you cant drill it, and totally understandable I crack one drilling it but the 2nd one came out perfect. there is still hope for a sumped system.

life reef make a the best HOB overflow box tested for decades no floods and started right back up.

if I where you I would go with a 40br sump and glass baffles I bet you could pick up a nice used one.
it will give you alot more space for gear + water volume.

canister filters will work I hear but you have to be good with cleaning them. most ppl are not and thats why there not used often in SW.

a good HOB skimmer, HOB filter and water changes will work to. its all how you want to do it. what you want to keep.

I would take some time at least a few days and think this over before moving on.
SW is all about the patience. trust us...we know you are excited and what to get the tank up and running and you will, but better to do it "right" the first time.

there are lots of build threads on here about the 40BR I suggest you skim them for ideas.
get your plan then got for it.
40br are sweet size tanks just love em.

keep us posted on what you decide to do.
oh and welcome to R2R

OK just saw that your a teen. great I would join a local or not so local reef club there are lots of us that would be more than happy to hook you up with old gear we dont need.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with other on drilling it. just go SLOW and study and get a good bit.
watch lots of YT vied and read threads.

after all that if you still feel like you cant drill it, and totally understandable I crack one drilling it but the 2nd one came out perfect. there is still hope for a sumped system.

life reef make a the best HOB overflow box tested for decades no floods and started right back up.

if I where you I would go with a 40br sump and glass baffles I bet you could pick up a nice used one.
it will give you alot more space for gear + water volume.

canister filters will work I hear but you have to be good with cleaning them. most ppl are not and thats why there not used often in SW.

a good HOB skimmer, HOB filter and water changes will work to. its all how you want to do it. what you want to keep.

I would take some time at least a few days and think this over before moving on.
SW is all about the patience. trust us...we know you are excited and what to get the tank up and running and you will, but better to do it "right" the first time.

there are lots of build threads on here about the 40BR I suggest you skim them for ideas.
get your plan then got for it.
40br are sweet size tanks just love em.

keep us posted on what you decide to do.
oh and welcome to R2R

OK just saw that your a teen. great I would join a local or not so local reef club there are lots of us that would be more than happy to hook you up with old gear we dont need.
Thank you for the advice. I think I will go with a sump but I’m a little confused about the difference between. Drilling and overhang and the parts I would need if I drilled. Also do you know how/where I could find local reef clubs? It would be great to save some money to put into upgrades to the equipment later on.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the link to the life reef overflow boxes. theses are the ONLY hob overflow I would suggest. http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
he also has a FB page too. I am sure you could find that.

if you drill there are kits complete with diamond hole saw , template and siphon box.

here is one by fiji cube:
https://www.fijicube.com/collections/overflow-box/products/low-profile-external-overflow-box-400pgh

they also have pre made DIY sump kits to if you dont want to do the glass.
https://www.fijicube.com/collections/sump-diy-kit
but if your on a budget I would just to 1/4" plate glass and a used tank.

keep in mine that petco has a dollar per gallon sale 4X a year . use to get 40br there but us reefers bought so many they took that one off. but still a sale on it.
could pick up a 20L for $20 40BR for I think 60??

it used to say 10X water moved ment through the sump. now we like more 5X with is good smaller return pump and smaller siphon box. most of the in take water movement will be done by a power head/wave maker.

here is a good place to get reasonably priced ones with a warranty ( return pumps too)
https://reefbreeders.com/product-category/wave_makers/

an ATO will be a must keeping S.G stable is the 1st part of SW aquariums and a huge help ATO take FW ( rodi) from a rec. and top off you tank.

I have used this one for years love it. used on small tanks and big.

there is a section here to find local clubs but also search FB there are tons of groups. join them all FW and SW you never know what you can find.

also sone times you can find amazing deals on complete systems with ppl looking to get out.

good luck!

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the link to the life reef overflow boxes. theses are the ONLY hob overflow I would suggest. http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
he also has a FB page too. I am sure you could find that.

if you drill there are kits complete with diamond hole saw , template and siphon box.

here is one by fiji cube:
https://www.fijicube.com/collections/overflow-box/products/low-profile-external-overflow-box-400pgh

they also have pre made DIY sump kits to if you dont want to do the glass.
https://www.fijicube.com/collections/sump-diy-kit
but if your on a budget I would just to 1/4" plate glass and a used tank.

keep in mine that petco has a dollar per gallon sale 4X a year . use to get 40br there but us reefers bought so many they took that one off. but still a sale on it.
could pick up a 20L for $20 40BR for I think 60??

it used to say 10X water moved ment through the sump. now we like more 5X with is good smaller return pump and smaller siphon box. most of the in take water movement will be done by a power head/wave maker.

here is a good place to get reasonably priced ones with a warranty ( return pumps too)
https://reefbreeders.com/product-category/wave_makers/

an ATO will be a must keeping S.G stable is the 1st part of SW aquariums and a huge help ATO take FW ( rodi) from a rec. and top off you tank.

I have used this one for years love it. used on small tanks and big.

there is a section here to find local clubs but also search FB there are tons of groups. join them all FW and SW you never know what you can find.

also sone times you can find amazing deals on complete systems with ppl looking to get out.

good luck!

Thank you so much. You dont know how much this helps.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the 40B build!

I ran a 90 gallon and 40B with a Fluval FX6 canister. You can use a canister...I did it for years. Using a sump is effortless. I did drill my current 40B for an Bean Animal overflow and also used a 40B for a sump. I chose the Bean Animal because it has three drains. One is the main drain. Second and third drain are emergency drain. If the main drain gets clogged, the 2nd drain takes the flow. IF the main drain and the 2nd drain are clogged, then drain #3 is used. I can image main drain and #2 being clogged. I like safety

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to start a saltwater tank after a few years of keeping fresh water. All I have right now is the tank and I am in the process of saving up for equipment. I know most of the equipment I am going to get. For a filter I am going to go with a seachem tidal 55 or aqua clear 40-55gal. For heater I am going to go with the fluval e200. I don’t really have a specific power head in mind but if anyone has any recommendations for some that are 30-40 dollars that would be amazing. That’s is all I think I might start out with but if anyone has any recommendations for other stuff I need or stuff I should get in the future that would be great. Also keep in mind I am a teen and don’t have a very big budget so I am trying to just start with the necessary things and get other things as needed.

image.jpg
As far as power heads go you can do a hygger on Amazon. It comes with nice controller

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Im using a tidal 55 and it runs just fine you can load it with rock carbon filter floss whatever you want to help filter your water. You don’t necessarily need to drill plumb and sump I didn’t because I was doing a reef “budget” build and seen very many awesome tanks with hobs It’s all on personal preference

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if putting two 40 gallon tanks in a small bed room would be okay? I want to have both of my fish tanks in my room but my mom is worried that it will make my room very humid and not be healthy to spend a lot of time in. My room is quite small and I have asthma. If anyone has any answers that would be great

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a tidal 55 and it runs just fine you can load it with rock carbon filter floss whatever you want to help filter your water. You don’t necessarily need to drill plumb and sump I didn’t because I was doing a reef “budget” build and seen very many awesome tanks with hobs It’s all on personal preference
Does anyone know if putting two 40 gallon tanks in a small bed room would be okay? I want to have both of my fish tanks in my room but my mom is worried that it will make my room very humid and not be healthy to spend a lot of time in. My room is quite small and I have asthma. If anyone has any answers that would be great
Does your room have good HVAC ? Throw some fans in your room have it cool I think it would be okay I’m running two tanks in my bedroom currently and have some fans running in my room as well

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you can totally run a 40br on HOB or canister filters.
intank makes some really great HOB inserts for the filters worls checking out of you go that way.
also you and DOY a 5 gal. bucket filter lots of vids on YT.

all that said sump help keep the display tank (DT) clean from gear like HOB filter/skimmers heaters and the like + its gives you more options.

that said I have ran a 20L on HOB + 20 gal AIO systems. no problems there.

anther option is see of you can pick up a all in one ( AIO) innovative marine tank or AIo water box used. you never know I have seen some amazing deals out there.

an yet another option there are so many ways to run a tank and all have there pros and cons.
is make your 40br an AIO no canister filter no drilling and no sump.
here is a premade kit. not sure it is any beter than a HOB or canister but is an option.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you can totally run a 40br on HOB or canister filters.
intank makes some really great HOB inserts for the filters worls checking out of you go that way.
also you and DOY a 5 gal. bucket filter lots of vids on YT.

all that said sump help keep the display tank (DT) clean from gear like HOB filter/skimmers heaters and the like + its gives you more options.

that said I have ran a 20L on HOB + 20 gal AIO systems. no problems there.

anther option is see of you can pick up a all in one ( AIO) innovative marine tank or AIo water box used. you never know I have seen some amazing deals out there.

an yet another option there are so many ways to run a tank and all have there pros and cons.
is make your 40br an AIO no canister filter no drilling and no sump.
here is a premade kit. not sure it is any beter than a HOB or canister but is an option.
I like the AIO and may even do it in the future !! I forgot all about those lol I do like the use of the tidal 55 I don’t have much to hide other then the filter with built in surface skimmer heater and PH

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for lighting it all depends on what you want to have. fish only you can get by with a supper cheap light but if you want corals and most of us will at some point you will need a good light. there is a saying buy once cry once.

I think I good quality light but still affordable ( for reef lighting ) is the noops K7 verison 2 I bet you could find a nice used one. they do have a new V3 out but its 250 or so.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a quick update. I have been thinking hard about what I want to do for a filter and I think I have a plan. I think I am going to start off not drilling the tank and just doing an HOB. Then after I start up the tank and start cycling, I will start saving up and gathering equipment for a sump and hopefully drill amd install a sump before I add fish or soon after. I am going to use a 20gal long tank for the sump. (I would do another 40gal breeder except I just don’t have the space.) I am going to get the 20gal on Saturday or next Tuesday. As for the type of HOB I think I’m going to go with the tidal 55. I have one in a different tank and so far it has been great. That is about it for the update. I’ll update you guys as soon as I get the 20gal. I also had a question. Should I get a protein skimmer when I first set up the tank or when I start making the sump?

One last thing, thank you to all of you who have given me tips and advice on equipment. You all have been so kind and so helpful and it means a lot to me. Thank you.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a quick update. I have been thinking hard about what I want to do for a filter and I think I have a plan. I think I am going to start off not drilling the tank and just doing an HOB. Then after I start up the tank and start cycling, I will start saving up and gathering equipment for a sump and hopefully drill amd install a sump before I add fish or soon after. I am going to use a 20gal long tank for the sump. (I would do another 40gal breeder except I just don’t have the space.) I am going to get the 20gal on Saturday or next Tuesday. As for the type of HOB I think I’m going to go with the tidal 55. I have one in a different tank and so far it has been great. That is about it for the update. I’ll update you guys as soon as I get the 20gal. I also had a question. Should I get a protein skimmer when I first set up the tank or when I start making the sump?

One last thing, thank you to all of you who have given me tips and advice on equipment. You all have been so kind and so helpful and it means a lot to me. Thank you.

my suggestion is this:
drill now or not at all. it will be so much work to drain the tank move it drill it then set back up.

sounds like you are on a pretty tight budget so I would just go with a HOB filter and call it a day. maybe two smaller one vs one big one?

there will be so many things to buy like heater, lights, rock, sand, ATO, Fish corals if you go that way. it all adds up fast.

what are you going to do for water? buy RODI or make it. save the $$ for drilling and get a small RODI unit you will be happy you did.
with water changes 10% every week = 4 gal HOB filter and a HOB skimmer you will be fine
I ran a 40br holding talk like that for year while we where doing reno on the new house.

good luck let us know if you have an questions.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back