40g Breeder

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Not necessarily new here, but joined when I moved to WA two years ago and got back into the hobby. Hence the name. Well last year I was relocated back to upstate NY. All I took with me was a newly drilled 40g breeder with a ghost overflow and my ATI light(and some clothes, but those weren't as important).
So here I am itching to get this thing up and running. Here's what I'm going to be attempting to work with.

40g Breeder tank
Synergy 16" Ghost Overflow - try the bean animal setup again although I couldn't dial it in just right last time.
Currently have the 24" ATI Dimmable Sunpower 6x24, but I'm planning to buy the 36" Hybrid T5HO 4x39W Fixture and trade the ATI for two radion xr15w or kessil a360we to mount in the hybrid.
(2) Ecotech MP10QD
Neptune Apex Controller System
BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual with MJ1200 Pump
Two Little Fishies Kalkwasser Stirrer / Reactor 300
Kessil H80 Tuna Flora Refugium LED Light
Jabao return pump(will update when I dig it out)
Reef Octopus Protein skimmer(another update later)
Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO

I have a Icecap 3K Gyre if anyone is looking. It's in the trade section currently but thought I'd add it here.
I'm sure I forgot something, but feel free to ask, comment or make suggestions. Will add some tank stand build pictures next. If it looks much bigger then the tank it's because I planned ahead :) Currently house hunting to get this up and running so next update may be a bit.

Thank you for reading!

Stand 1.jpg

Stand 2.jpg

Stand 3.jpg

Stand 4.jpg

Stand 5.jpg

Stand 6.jpg

Stand 7.jpg

Stand 8.jpg

Stand 9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally dabbled with success in SPS while I was out West so I'll definitely be staying that route for the most part. I like having the ledge since the stand is 48" high. Eye level tank when standing for me.

Thank you for the compliment!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the countertop around the tank.. great place to sit a cold one;)

cPr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks good! Did you do a test run to see where the water line is with the overflow? I have a synergy shadow and thinking about doing the same setup as yourself, curios where the water line sits in comparison to the rim.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I actually had it up and running before I moved. I drilled mine in so there isn't a water line. Picture below is from when I was moving my corals in from my other tank last time.

Tank.jpg

cPr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes I actually had it up and running before I moved. I drilled mine in so there isn't a water line. Picture below is from when I was moving my corals in from my other tank last time.

Tank.jpg

The water line looks perfect In this photo, thanks!

Did you use the template or did you go another route?

Cheers

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my aquatic life 36" hybrid and two Radion XR15 Gen4 Pro's. Also, had offer accepted on a house... Count down begins.

What's the popular bulb combo everyone is using? ATI or Giesmann?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see what opinions are on the next step. Still waiting to close on house. I'd like to get rock ordered and into some water to begin cycle. I'm going 50/50 live and dry. Should I just put it all in my DT with my light and system running or should I put the dry in a brute can with no light and the live rock into my DT? I've always gone 100% dry rock so I'm looking for opinions. Thanks!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see what opinions are on the next step. Still waiting to close on house. I'd like to get rock ordered and into some water to begin cycle. I'm going 50/50 live and dry. Should I just put it all in my DT with my light and system running or should I put the dry in a brute can with no light and the live rock into my DT? I've always gone 100% dry rock so I'm looking for opinions. Thanks!

If the live rock is local and not shipped, I say into the display and cure the dry.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back