reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some slight changes....

40g Breeder tank
Synergy 16" Ghost Overflow - try the bean animal setup again although I couldn't dial it in just right last time.
36" Hybrid T5HO 4x39W Fixture two radion xr15w gen 4 pro
(2) Ecotech MP10QD
Neptune Apex Controller System
BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual with MJ1200 Pump
Two Little Fishies Kalkwasser Stirrer / Reactor 300 - I"ve decided to stick with my doser and use 2 part until I can learn more about kalk
Kessil H80 Tuna Flora Refugium LED Light - Innovative Marine Chaetomax 2 in 1 fuge light
Jabao DC6000. Will be picking up the DCP 10000
Reef Octopus Protein skimmer(another update later)
Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO

I've also picked up a 4 stage RO unit and a 57 watt Aqua UV sterilizer.

I may be going over kill and have to feed well or get a nice selection of inhabitants. Still waiting on the house closing date.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What effect will that have on the live rock? Does no light defeat the purpose of buying live?

I had a couple of live rocks in with my dry rock. 8.5 pounds total. I cured the dry, then switched to saltwater and added the live. That sat for four months in the dark maturing and after, the coralline was muted, but still present. When I set up the tank I added 24.5 pounds of live rock and let it sit with ambient light for 2 weeks. The rock was rich with coralline. As some corals started peeking out of the live rock, I decided to start running my lights very low. SB Reef Extreme 16” WiFi LED. I now run blues peaking at 10% for about 8 hours and whites peaking in the middle at 5% for 3 hours. After a week I am not seeing any nuisance algae (yet) and the hitchhiker corals are out and happy.

So I would say, if you get really rich live rock, perhaps some light would be beneficial, but there will still be coralline if not.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of live rocks in with my dry rock. 8.5 pounds total. I cured the dry, then switched to saltwater and added the live. That sat for four months in the dark maturing and after, the coralline was muted, but still present. When I set up the tank I added 24.5 pounds of live rock and let it sit with ambient light for 2 weeks. The rock was rich with coralline. As some corals started peeking out of the live rock, I decided to start running my lights very low. SB Reef Extreme 16” WiFi LED. I now run blues peaking at 10% for about 8 hours and whites peaking in the middle at 5% for 3 hours. After a week I am not seeing any nuisance algae (yet) and the hitchhiker corals are out and happy.

So I would say, if you get really rich live rock, perhaps some light would be beneficial, but there will still be coralline if not.

Be my first time starting with live rock. Ben looking at KP Aquatics. I think I'm going to cure the dry and then toss it all together in my setup and let it run its course.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on house closing. I'm sure if I wasn't dreaming of my tank running it wouldve happened faster.

Couple updates:

I had my aquatic life hybrid rewired so that instead of two plugs it is now one.
Ordered bulbs, two blue plus, a coral plus and a purple plus.

Also received 20lbs of dry rock from BRS and red sea blue bucket. Picked up a brute and my 4 stage rodi unit. Will soak dry rock over the next week or two in rodi and then pick up some live rock and add it. Same time I'll switch to salt water, heater and pump. No light. Credit @NY_Caveman as I read through his entire thread over the last two nights. I'm not sure I'll have the length he did but it's a start.

On a side note my baby girl was born on the 24th so not much time with anything but her.

Update again soon when I pick up my light. Happy reefing

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! My baby girl is 18. Definitely enjoy her, they grow so fast.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making water! Temporary setup.
20180810_093756.jpeg

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished vinegar bath on sump and display tank. Skimmer and bean animal plumbing going now.

Question... after vinegar bath should I run RO through the system for 24-48 hours? Not used to moving a tank.
20180812_124204.jpeg
20180812_124246.jpeg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I washed my set up just gave it a soak in RODI and rinsed it with RODI till I didn’t smell any vinegar anymore. Running it for a bit changing with fresh RODI wouldnt hurt going for that long but may be overkill but with cleaning and rinsing too much will never hurt and gives ya peace of mind.
I’m fresh new to hobby again so others ma6 hav3 better advice

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is wet! 20lbs dry rock soaking in some RODI. 15lbs live rock comin g tomorrow fro KP Aquatics. Need to figure out starboard size for bottom(fighting the urge for sand like I've always had). And need to find something for back glass.

On a side note my older mp10 sounds like a helicopter. Hopefully clears up! Also, my sump seems too deep for my skimmer, perhaps I'll go fuge and put the skimmer in with the return. Any bad thoughts about that?
20180820_204107.jpeg
20180820_204506.jpeg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on gettin wet in a good way :)
For back of glass I considered painting or board then found some window privacy screen at home depot. They had a nice dark film that’s worked well for my tanks location you may want to consider.

Last edited:

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your stand! I’m drawing up a plan myself for a stand and wanted to go tongue and grove for a shiplap look myself! I may have missed a post but what did you use for the top of your stand? It almost looks like a faux concrete countertop

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back