OP
OP
Hoggle7828

Hoggle7828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the frustrations recently, the goby finally showed its face 3+ weeks after acclimating it, and this morning, I finally fixed my skimmer. The previous owner tightened one joint so tight I initially thought it was glued. This morning, I finally got to get to the impeller to clean it. It seems to work, for now .....

OP
OP
Hoggle7828

Hoggle7828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I last updated. We haven't made too many changes so far aside from replacing the skimmer with an eshopps hob, adding a circulation pump, and adding some macroalgae. We have one dead spot that I might be getting another small circulation pump to fix. This had taught me a lot about flow, and I'm sure I could do a better design if I actually started the rock from scratch. We live and we learn.

We're looking at getting upgraded lighting soon (in the next 2 months). The plan is either an Ai prime or a Kessil a360x depending on the budget. I'd love the kessil since eventually I want our 75g tank converted to saltwater, and it would give us a start on the lighting.

We still have the cardinals, perculas, a pistol shrimp, and a cuc. The goby has been mia for the last 6 weeks again.

I've tossed around the idea of getting a firefish or dwarf angel, but I don't really want to spend the cash until the lighting is set. I really want to carefully start to get starter coral.

OP
OP
Hoggle7828

Hoggle7828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten the AI Prime HD for the tank. I'm still struggling to download presets through my phone. As of now, it appears I will have to make my own schedules. I haven't been able to get the prime up on the account on the pc either.

Update.

After asking in a group on Facebook, someone hinted at something that got me the answer and now it works!

In a couple of weeks, I'll begin posting pictures. Within the next two weeks, I plan on getting a small number(2-3) frags and letting them grow out as I learn more practical coral information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoggle7828

Hoggle7828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a year since I've updated, and a lot has happened. We've bought a house, and we've reduced the number of tanks in our house. During the move we picked up a drilled 75g with a 40b sump. After some replumbing, I've finally got the sump up and running properly.

The tank currently has snails, dwarf hermits, and a small urchin as a CuC.
We have 2 perculas, 3 pj cardinalfish, a cherub angelfish, a yellow watchman goby, and a pistol shrimp.

*I'm prepping the rock again for a colony of xenia, a small zoa garden and hopefully a euphyllia garden.

*I'm working on determining which lighting I can get a way with for a small refugium.

*I'm also going to try to figure out how I'm going to dampen the sound of the water draining into our sump. Right now, there are no socks, but I think I'm going to put in a catch tray with some cloth to help filter out the larger nonsense. Hopefully, I can do it in a way that will dampen the waterfall sound.

OP
OP
Hoggle7828

Hoggle7828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been more than a year and a half since I've been on, and my tank is still going.
We still have the 75g with 40b sump. I only run the skimmer about half the time since the refugium(Chaeto) is doing well and full of a happy pod community.

We currently have the same 2 perculas, 3 pj cardinalfish, and pistol shrimp. We added an urchin to our cuc about a year or so ago, and its adorable. Unfortunately, our cherub angelfish didn't make it long past the last post, but we now have an eibli angelfish. I never really figured out what happened.

Also, about 6 months ago, our goby disappeared after about a million pistol shrimp clicks, and it eventually(like 3 weeks later) came out too injured to save. My lfs suggested that it was possibly a combo of infection and a bad tunnel collapse on it.

I've attached xenia to our overflow, and it is finally taking off. We currently have a turquoise mushroom and growing population of three different colors of ricordia.

Now my ten year old it starting to save up for her own tank, and I've offered her whatever spare tanks and whatnot that we have.

OP
OP
Hoggle7828

Hoggle7828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: We've had growth, and unfortunately, another loss.

We're now up to 6 pj cardinals, 2 clownfish, and an eibli angelfish. Our pistol shrimp passed yesterday. It was about 3.5 years old, and when I saw it, the angelfish was trying it eat it. The extra pj's have helped reduce the infighting between the original three.

We now have a seemingly happy frogspawn and kenya tree in addition to our other small amount of mushrooms/softies.

I've joined to Sicce Scuba bandwagon, and we'll see how that goes, but it does free up a heater toward a future tank for my daughter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back