420 Gallon shark/ preditor aquarium

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Shark eggs have a hatch failure rate, so buying newly hatched young is often better. Females are typically larger than males. However, I've had male epaulettes fight. Coral catsharks are better in that regard.

Jay
Just to add onto this, Coral Catsharks are typically more comfortable in pairs of 2 or more. They will group up in the wild, and I've never had any issues with them fighting amongst themselves.

OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd do a little update. So tank was orderd yesterday and should be here in around 4 weeks. Went for an 8x3x2.5 in the end so should provide a good size for the fish. I think I will start a separate tank setup thread for this system and setup. Thanks for all the help once again

Cheers

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I should add my experience.

I have a banded hound shark (1foot)...white spotted bamboo (2.5 feet) and two brown banded bamboo. (8 inches)

I have had zombie snails with them the past 7 months. Approx 60 zombie snails

zero issues. Tank stays immaculate

OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a banded hound shark (1foot)...white spotted bamboo (2.5 feet) and two brown banded bamboo. (8 inches)

Really appreciate the reply! The aquarium arrived yesterday but I think I have decided to do marine angels as I think long term the tank might not work out with sharks.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

You have a leopard shark in this 10' x 3' tank?

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine angels are very poor tank mates for shark or rays. As the Angels will pick at the sharks/rays fins and can even kill a shark or rays.

BTW - an 8x3x2.5 would be a perfect tank for 3 Coral Catsharks(1 male /2 females) with a Yellow or Cortez Stingray,

OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine angels are very poor tank mates for shark or rays. As the Angels will pick at the sharks/rays fins and can even kill a shark or rays.

BTW - an 8x3x2.5 would be a perfect tank for 3 Coral Catsharks(1 male /2 females) with a Yellow or Cortez Stingray,
Hi, sorry I think I should have worded it better. I am most likely going to do marine angels only, no sharks or other fish etc. Just around 15 differnt angels but it depends on aggression etc. Now I have all the rock in I just don't feel there is enough space for a shark or Ray unfortunately and don't think it would be fair on them long term.

Thanks

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, sorry I think I should have worded it better. I am most likely going to do marine angels only, no sharks or other fish etc. Just around 15 differnt angels but it depends on aggression etc. Now I have all the rock in I just don't feel there is enough space for a shark or Ray unfortunately and don't think it would be fair on them long term.

Thanks
1 coral catshark would do fine in this tank, but 3 is too much unlike the comment stated above. Although you can't have both angels and sharks, it's one or the other.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear the elasmobranch tank idea go but I wish you the best of luck with the angels!
It might be funny to have some sharknose gobies (Elacatinus evelynae) in the tank to clean the angels and reference your original plans.

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - I will agree the word perfect was the wrong word choice on my parts. As no rectangle shaped aquarium is perfect for sharks. Also, to keep the 3 Coral Catsharks in this tank - would basically mean that it is species only type tank. No other large or medium sized fishes at all. Definitely no groupers, lionfishes, eels, angels, triggers or puffers - but most of these are not suitable to keep with sharks anyway.

Still since, this tank is likely going to be used for Angels. May I suggest just keeping only 1 or 2 large peaceful/semi-aggressive angels. and maybe 1 or 2 dwarf angels.

OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - I will agree the word perfect was the wrong word choice on my parts. As no rectangle shaped aquarium is perfect for sharks. Also, to keep the 3 Coral Catsharks in this tank - would basically mean that it is species only type tank. No other large or medium sized fishes at all. Definitely no groupers, lionfishes, eels, angels, triggers or puffers - but most of these are not suitable to keep with sharks anyway.

Still since, this tank is likely going to be used for Angels. May I suggest just keeping only 1 or 2 large peaceful/semi-aggressive angels. and maybe 1 or 2 dwarf angels.

I really wanted to try and keep about 15 different angels together to try and spread agression. Do you have any other recommendations for species to try? I was thinking about an all wrasse aquarium but not so keen.

Thanks

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that with most of the larger Angels (10-14 inches) require about 125-250 gallons bare minimum. So, with a 400–450-gallon tank you could likely keep only 2-3(at most) in that tank. Dwarf Angels it would be possible to keep more - may be 4-6 of those.

So, what at about a nice FOWLR set up? Pick your favorite large Angel, Add a Trigger, a puffer, an Eel or two, and a few smaller fishes, like Damsels, chromis, tangs, with maybe a dwarf Angel, & a wrasse or two.

Or Maybe a Nice predator tank? A Coral Catshark (or 2), A yellow or cortez stingray, An Eel (or 2), and maybe a small grouper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that with most of the larger Angels (10-14 inches) require about 125-250 gallons bare minimum. So, with a 400–450-gallon tank you could likely keep only 2-3(at most) in that tank. Dwarf Angels it would be possible to keep more - may be 4-6 of those.

So, what at about a nice FOWLR set up? Pick your favorite large Angel, Add a Trigger, a puffer, an Eel or two, and a few smaller fishes, like Damsels, chromis, tangs, with maybe a dwarf Angel, & a wrasse or two.

Or Maybe a Nice predator tank? A Coral Catshark (or 2), A yellow or cortez stingray, An Eel (or 2), and maybe a small grouper.
Yes I have thought about that but there’s so many of those tanks out there, I really want to try something different.
My angel fish list is-
Golden angel
Black velvet angel
Rock Beauty
Swallow tail angel pair
Emperor
Blueface
Queen
regal
majestic
scribble
blue line
goldflake
lemonpeel
multibar

But not sure how it will work out or if there will be too much aggression. I would also like to keep a range of clean up crew as well. If the angel idea won’t work out I might have to go back to the drawning board.

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - that many large Angels in one 400 gallon tank would definitely a major problem. Even if all are only semi-aggressive. You would still be talking a massive bio-load. Plus 2 or more large Angels together in a single tank would very likely compatibility issues.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back