44 Corner Pentagon...yeah my tanks weird..

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in there as far as a CUC? How much are you feeding?

The tank is looking very nice!

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC is 9 hermits 8 snails. It's still going pretty good. Now my water seems cloudy, kind of like smoke. I am guessing it is microbubbles, but I have no skimmer, or sump so do not know how I have them.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my water has cleared and so has the diatom. Water is looking good but have a bit of stuff still floating around the water. I have no sump so I figure that is the reason. Should i just run a HOB filter for a few days with carbon and filter pad to just get it outta the water?

Also just got a LMB, will get pictures after the acclimation and he starts feeling comfy.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hang on filter will certainly clear it up, but I would also look for the source of the particles. Being this is a new tank, I would suspect it is just fine particles from your sand. What are your plans for a skimmer or nutrient export in general?

Without a sump, it can certainly be done, my first thought is to frequent large(r) water changes. This of course will cost more eventually then a sump/skimmer, but does not have a high initial expense.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a Hydor slim skimmer but did not like it in the tank. I want to do a sump, but have no room for it under my tank, and sense I live in a small apartment, and it is in my living room, I do not want it taking up half the room. I do plan on upgrading tanks in the future, so for now I have stuck with the water changes. I still want to find a skimmer I like either HOB or a better fit inside the tank. any suggestions on one would be awesome.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind spending a bit get a CPR Aquafuge PS. Skimmer and fuge together. A cheaper way would be the knock off on aquatraders. It's the same thing, and I've seen pretty ggod reviews.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you on the small apartment.

Here is what I ended up with sump wise, there is room for a skimmer and rock and a bit of Macro...

I really need to skin the stand to hide the mess.

In order to be effective, the skimmer really needs to have a bit of volume to it. Eshopps makes a pretty decent hang on skimmer, I think they are around $150ish. They are bit on the noisy side from what I remember.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you on the small apartment.

Here is what I ended up with sump wise, there is room for a skimmer and rock and a bit of Macro...

I really need to skin the stand to hide the mess.

In order to be effective, the skimmer really needs to have a bit of volume to it. Eshopps makes a pretty decent hang on skimmer, I think they are around $150ish. They are bit on the noisy side from what I remember.

man that looks good. You at least have room underneath. Sense mine is a pentagon corner I have absolutely no room for even a 10 gallon tank, which is the biggest bugaboo I have about the tank.

What kind of light fixture is that? looks like the same one I have, Reefbreeders 120W Programable

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates I thought I would post. Added a Tangerine clownfish and Flame Angel.

He is still a bit shy.

Tangerine Clownfish, he is the most active new fish, and as the smaller of the 2 clowns......he has been the boss

Few new corals as well!

B
utton polyps and Frogspawn

Button Coral, Brain coral, and Eagle eye Zoo's.

Some kind of leather and Trumpet coral. And a good Iphone picture.

Hope you enjoy, I will try to get a better one of the Fame and Tangerine, when they become a bit more photogenic

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, yeah it does look like that. It has grown super fast.

Well today has been a rough day. Found my flame angel dead this morning. Day before yesterday he was out picking at rocks eating. yesterday he wouldnt leave his cave, and this morning he was dead in the most impossible place to get him.

I ended up breaking down half the rock to get him, and while doing that it upset my Lawnmower Blenny who took a leap behind the tank, had to move the tank scoop him up, and he was covered in lent dust... horrible.... well got him in and he seems ok, we will see what happens in the next few hours.

Other news, I do own a 90 gallon now with stand, canopy, sump, skimmer, and everything I will need. Was going to paint the inside of the stand as well as the back of the tank, but dayum rain has ruined that idea....so been a crappy start to the day, but at least its mardi gras!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh! Upgrades already? ;)

I think the 90 will be far easier to light, and to get flow. The odd shaped tanks are kinda neat, but just don't seem to payoff.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have enjoyed the odd shape, but for a 44 its like planing for a 20 gallon.. I am ready to get the 90 up and going I feel like I will have so many more options. For lighting i have used LED 120w, that is 18 inches long. I plan on buying another one of those, you think that will be fine for 4 feet?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you will be fine with 2x18" LED fixtures. You can plan areas of low light, and high light levels, another advantage, less algae growing on the glass.

New Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup bro out its nice to see these tanks I love mine
a8ybe5ud.jpg
y6etanep.jpg
aze2yva8.jpg
y4e9ymuh.jpg
a3y7eqe2.jpg
u7udapu9.jpg
ju6a4e4u.jpg
ja8y5yvu.jpg
8evetuse.jpg

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that scape is awesome! also love the snowflake. Yeah I love the uniqueness of it, it will be hard to let it go :-(. your stand is so much nicer than mine hahaha, also what did you do for light?

New Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fish only since my 6 chocolate chip starfish love coral and my hawaiian puffer eats everything I can't do coral. So all I have is one l.e.d
e3avugag.jpg
hysu9u7a.jpg

Last edited:

New Guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that scape is awesome! also love the snowflake. Yeah I love the uniqueness of it, it will be hard to let it go :-(. your stand is so much nicer than mine hahaha, also what did you do for light?

Thanks for the compliment on the scape, it took forever to get it right for me. I probably sat and played around for a good two weeks deciding what goes where. Not including the month of live rock shopping at probably 10 different fish stores lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back