44 Corner Pentagon...yeah my tanks weird..

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R figure I would put my tank build here. like the title says, 44g pentagon corner tank.

35 pds of Manado LR from PA.(great stuff very porous and branchy)
40 pds live sand, 10 pds CC.
550 Hydor and 1000 gph maxi jet powerheads
heater
IT 2040, 120 Watt LED programable fixture. 3 Moonlight LED's. even has a remote ;-)
9 hermits (1 death)
5 smaller white snails
3 turbo snails
2 occ clowns

been up for about 8 weeks have tried not to rush, but I am sure you know like me...its hard not too.

I am looking to add some soft corals here soon, mushrooms, zoas, frogspawn, Bicolor blenny, flame angel, and 6 line wrasse

Hope you enjoy and I will try to keep my tank up to date on here, and if you have any suggestions or questions please feel free to let me know, i like advice, and suggestions, and do not take criticism too bad.

Thanks and enjoy.
Andrew

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc0313fr.jpg

img0635oi.jpg

img0690yf.jpg

img0696gy.jpg

img0697tl.jpg

Thanks for checking out

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love it! Nice rock too!

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, yeah it is definatly different, but you get a few different viewing angels which is pretty nice. probably not the best choice for a first Reef tank, but I like the challenge

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, today has not been great. It looks like the 2 clowns I got have ICH. Now I was told on another forum, that sense they where my first and only 2 fish, and that they are very hardy, that I should let it pass. I have read sense that the parisite, will die off soon, but have more spawn, that will look for a host soon. how I have another tank I could put them in, but not sure if I shoudl or not. I do not want to stress them out catching them, because I hear that it may make it worse. should I let it pass? or should I try catching them and put them in a QT. I have had these fish only 3 days, is the LFS responsible? this is not the start I was looking for, and could really use some help. Thank you.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, today has not been great. It looks like the 2 clowns I got have ICH. Now I was told on another forum, that sense they where my first and only 2 fish, and that they are very hardy, that I should let it pass. I have read sense that the parisite, will die off soon, but have more spawn, that will look for a host soon. how I have another tank I could put them in, but not sure if I shoudl or not. I do not want to stress them out catching them, because I hear that it may make it worse. should I let it pass? or should I try catching them and put them in a QT. I have had these fish only 3 days, is the LFS responsible? this is not the start I was looking for, and could really use some help. Thank you.

I should add, that the fish for the first 2 days did not seem to eat, or move from the corner of the tank. today, the day the spots showed up, they ate well, and swam all over the tank, and looked much more comfortable. And saying that, i believe their immune system may be a bit higher today than the first 2 days, and if that should help fighting the ich from now on.

I do believe that all new fish I add I will put in a QT tank for 4-5 days before I add.

Thanks in advance.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I had a 44 running for about a year till I upgraded. I might just put it back up again. Personally I think it a great tank. Offers some challenges but that's what made this tank fun. Here's mine right before takedown.
4a19790a.jpg

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I had a 44 running for about a year till I upgraded. I might just put it back up again. Personally I think it a great tank. Offers some challenges but that's what made this tank fun. Here's mine right before takedown.
4a19790a.jpg

That looks great! cannot wait to get mine all full. but that sucker is FULL. did you ever have any specific problems with this type of tank? I figured I would struggle with flow, but I seem to have a pretty good flow going. and did you run a sump with it?

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! cannot wait to get mine all full. but that sucker is FULL. did you ever have any specific problems with this type of tank? I figured I would struggle with flow, but I seem to have a pretty good flow going. and did you run a sump with it?

Here's my thread on NJ reef. Hope it ok with the mods to post a link
http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?t=74813

That was a pic right before take down and some of the stone was taken out to seed the upgrade tank. Plus it was loaded with frags from the takedown of my nano. For flow all I had was two koralia 750's and one 425 that I used to move water behind rocks. HOB aquaclear 500 filter running as it was meant to be(not a fuge), and a prizim skimmer. Current 4x24" T5. Basically I kept this tank with equipment that most reefers would scoff at. It was very successful. I do truly miss it. If you ever have any questions let me know.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read Jgraz, that hammer got HUGE! I nearly bout a hammer today, but the lady at the LFS told me they had a few good ones coming in, so I just went with a candy cane coral. Not very big 5 1/2 heads, but really pops. My iPhone cannot handle my reef tank..haha, now I have to buy a camera, JEEZ

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read Jgraz, that hammer got HUGE! I nearly bout a hammer today, but the lady at the LFS told me they had a few good ones coming in, so I just went with a candy cane coral. Not very big 5 1/2 heads, but really pops. My iPhone cannot handle my reef tank..haha, now I have to buy a camera, JEEZ

Practice with the iPhone. After you zoom in on the shot, touch the screen in a few different places to get the best look. All my pics are with my iphone 4. Not the best, but not bad either.

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha, it just comes out soo blue. it does no justice to my LED light.

but I like the coral. 15 mins of it being in there my turbo decided to tree climb and nearly knocked it down. but glad I saw it happen that soon so I knew it could be knocked down there

OP
OP
R

rewlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well past few days I have gone through a huge Diatom bloom. Guessing this is pretty normal, also a bit of what looks like hair algae growing. Should I do anything or just let it pass? I realize that most tanks go through a first diatom bloom, than Coraline algae will break out, but what about the hair algae?

Also I have a bunch, 100 or so, small white things popping up, maybe polyps? not sure, they are all over one rock.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back