46 Gal Tank ideas

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the COVID 19 I have not been able to set up the reef tank so I was looking around and saw a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and an Antennata Lionfish, I was wondering if That would work in the 46 gal tank

I am goign to get Clowns, so I was thinking about Maroon or Cinnamon Clown fish due to there size
I was also thinking about a Saddleback Valentini Puffer
and what about a 5" to 8" Snowflake Eel

Also if I have the lionfish and puffer what will my CUC be
I also plan on getting an anemone for the clowns

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a cinnamon clown or valentine in there. I would also only get a fully grown maroon if you did that. To be honest I would keep nothing smaller than the lionfish in with it. As for the tank size, neither of those fish are very active so it should be fine if its just them (although the antennnata may eventually be a little too big). Again the snowflake eel isn't super active so it could be in there for a while.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id really rethink that stocking list... a fuzzy would be ok in a tank that size but finding tankmates that won’t get eaten will be a challenge. Valentini puffers are known fin nippers and in a tank that size a lionfish’s fins would quickly be destroyed. Antennata would get to big for that tank. Smaller clowns risk being eaten and larger clowns could bully a passive fish like a lion. A snowflake eel would quickly outgrow that tank and would create a heavy bioload.

A fuzzy dwarf lionfish would likely do well alone in a tank that size, or some of those other fish you listed. All of them at once would probably not end well though.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id really rethink that stocking list... a fuzzy would be ok in a tank that size but finding tankmates that won’t get eaten will be a challenge. Valentini puffers are known fin nippers and in a tank that size a lionfish’s fins would quickly be destroyed. Antennata would get to big for that tank. Smaller clowns risk being eaten and larger clowns could bully a passive fish like a lion. A snowflake eel would quickly outgrow that tank and would create a heavy bioload.

A fuzzy dwarf lionfish would likely do well alone in a tank that size, or some of those other fish you listed. All of them at once would probably not end well though.

I have never heard of a valentini puffer nipping fins. The dozens I have seen are usually the most peaceful fish.

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lion's would do pretty well but i would keep an eye on their size and you may eventually have to re-home them due to them reaching massive sizes (not as much for the dwarf lion, hence the name :) ). Even the maroon clown can get very big, and are recommended to have a tank around 50 - 70 gal. Anyways, good luck! :)

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all puffers are known fin nippers, I wouldn't put one in with mine. I have a 40 breeder with two dwarf lions, and its perfect without anything else.

OP
OP
S

sadness child

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Frogfish would be okay because they are about the same in what they do

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re sized properly it can be done, the trick is getting a frogfish that’s big enough to not get eaten by the lion, but small enough to not eat the lion itself.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A saddleback puffer is less risky than the blue spot, which is almost guaranteed as a nipper, but still a risk. The angler/lion combo is a tricky but doable combo, A warty would be the best choice for the angler, the others would reach a size that would eat eat the lion eventually. With the exception of the pygmy, which really don;t live long enough to make it worth your wild. There are also some scorpionfish that would be compatible as well, availability is fleeting, and you would nave to check each species for there size. The snowflake and the antennata would outgrow that tank. I'm not a maroon clown expert but they have worked in some combos with dwarf lionfish.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 47 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back