46 Gallon Bowfront Predator Tank

ZJGMoparman

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2019
Messages
52
Reaction score
44
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 Gallon Bowfront sitting around that i would like to setup. Rather than setup another reef tank, i was thinking of venturing into the predator tank world. I've never kept a predator tank before. I know a 46 Gallon really limits my possibilities, but what are my options?

My must have is a lionfish. I was looking at the fuzzy dwarf lionfish.

Other fish I'm interested in, but not sure how they would do in a 46 are:

1. Dwarf Puffer
2. Snowflake Eel
3. Dwarf Angel
4. Bristletooth Tang (for algae control)
5. Some type of larger wrasse

I know all of these would be way overstocked for a 46. I would probably limit my stocking to a total of 3 fish.

I should also note that this will be plumbed to a 20 gallon sump.
 
I’d say one key (for potentially messy-eaters) is as much water turnover as possible. Filtration that is better than average. Can’t wait to see your photos down the road.
 
After doing some more research i think i have decided to go with a total of 3 fish in this system.

Valentini Puffer
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
Flame Angel

I don't think this will be too much bioload on the system.
 
I agree with the extra cleaning/filtration comment. When I kept a predator tank there was always one corner that had bare bones vacuumed out. At some point you might want to upgrade though the dwarf will get about 6 - 8inches.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new