48x24x16 Lowboy Build

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting this build thread a little late as I already have it up and running, but figured i'd start my documentation process. Initially set this up in the beginning of May, so going on 5 months old as of now.

Equipment:
  • As I said, I have a 48 L, 24 W, 16 T low boy with a duroso overflow .
  • Trigger Systems Emerald 36 Sump
  • 2 ReefWave 45 Gyres
  • Jabeo Return Pump
  • BubbleMagus Curve 5 protein Skimmer
  • Avast Marine Plank auto feeding system (guys..this is pretty awesome!!! I actually won this)
  • UV Sterilizer
  • 2 Kamoer X1 Bluetooth dosing pumps
  • Tunze Osimillator ATO with 5 Gallon Emerald Reservoir (wish I would have done the 10!!)
  • AquaticLife 4x54 hybrid lighting fixture
  • 2x Radion XR15 G5s running AB
  • Tunze EcoChic refugium light for my Cheato
  • Added 10/22/21 - Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer
  • Added 10/26/21 - 2xNoopsychee V3 K7 140 watt lights
  • Added 12/27/21 - 1 Noopsychee V3 75 watt light

LiveStock:
  1. 3 2 Clowns (lost one)
  2. 6 line wrasse (repurchased on 11/26)
  3. Tailspot Blenny
  4. Coral Beauty
  5. Flame Hawkfish
  6. Hi Fin Goby (havent seen it in months)
  7. Yellowwattchman Goby
  8. Coral Banded Shrimp
  9. Tiger Pistol Shrimp
  10. Fire Shrimp
  11. Misc, but understocked, clean up crew
    1. As of 10/28, no longer understocked
  12. Royal Gramma - Added 10/17/21
  13. Firefish - Added 11/26/21
  14. Melanarus Wrasse - Added 11/26/21
  15. Lemon Peel Tang - Add 12/18/21

Corals:
  1. Red Bubble Tip Anenome (my clowns wont host!!)
  2. Various Hammers and Frogspawns in the bottom left
  3. Small torch garden in the bottom middle
  4. My Scoly in the bottom right
  5. Blastos just below my anenome (my favorite by far is the WWC Rainbow!)
  6. 20 Head duncan (grown from 2) in the bottom right (out of sight)
  7. Various Montipora Caps strategically placed
  8. Some birdnests in the background
  9. A scroll coral, but it never really took and is holding on by a thread
  10. Have one purple stylo, but having a rainbow, pink and green stylo delivered tomorrow from Tidal Gardens (among other things)
  11. A couple of Zoas that I have butted up against the back wall in hopes they start the climb.
  12. Finally, about 25 different sps Millies, Tennius and other acros across the ridge

1631617012246.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I just got done with my dino blackout period. Tank looks fantastic...although i appear to be missing my subordinate (male) clown fish. I don't see any suicide jumps, no evidence of an ammonia spike...just poof..like passing gas in a hurricane. I honestly don't think I would have noticed if my third clown was suddenly hanging with the dominant female. Fed the tank and he is a no show. Not in the overflow. Not sucked up against a power head. Poof.

Not that I dont feel bad for the loss of a fish..but the only thing i can be reasonably thankful about was that it was a 9.99 fish.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a couple of SPS today (AquaSD Rainbow Millie and Bill Murray...really bummed. Why couldnt it be the unknown freebies!?!). While speaking with @((FORDTECH)) , the other day he indicated that because of my high par I probably need to be running significantly higher nutrients than I have been. My nutrients have been around 10 N and 0.25 Phosphates and my Alk was about 9.6 (which I am slowing trying to raise up to the Alk of IO Reef Crystals). Apparently the reason is that with my combination of high par and high alkalinity that the skeleton was growing too fast and that the flesh was being spread thin and burning. I was wondering why the tips were pure white and it all makes sense. Currently running 4x54 T5s and Radion G5 XR15s on AB at 70%. Going to be dropping my XR15s down to 35% and hope any sunburn heals. YIKES!!!

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update.

Got a couple of torches from @UltraRainbowCorals.com and a new scoly (plus a few others) from @AquaSD and things are looking great. Getting a few babies on my rainbow blasto.

finally, got a royal gramma on Sunday. He found a cave and I haven't seen him since.

75E6BA91-F40F-4452-8094-B8A68DAF0A37.jpeg

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I’ve heard the same thing regarding high light / nutrients / higher alk . I’ve been running my tank at 30 nitrate and .1-.2 phosphate and alk at 9.6 although I’m not sps heavy

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited. I get to replace my used radions with brand Noopysche lights. I just won 2 140 watt K7s in the @noopsyche record you reef give away. I am so psyched!! (Pun intended). Can’t wait!!
Ohhhhh man I’d be very nervous if I was you with all the issues you been having to now start changing lights. Id almost wait till your issues are resolved before switching Be careful

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always so exciting when I get new equipment I can’t even imagine how I’d feel if I won it !!! Pretty awesome of noopsyche. Yea you should be able to clear that up in a couple weeks. Congrats on the new lights :)

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a fun week for equipment changes.

After yet another freaking Dino outbreak because my nitrates and phosphates bottomed out, I have decided to use a dosing pump to start dosing nitrates and phosphates as opposed to trying to get lucky using my ATO. Instead of buying a new dosing pump, I decided to by the @AVAST Marine K1 Kalk stirrer. So now one of my kamoer will does kalk via the stirrer while my other kamoer will does a nitrate phosphate mix to insure I keep minimal levels. This does mean I am departing from two part dosing. As such I am assuming I am going to have to deal with some parameter swings until I figure this out.

the other change is my @noopsychee lights are coming in next week. As such, going to swap out my G5 Xr15 pros (might be putting them up for local sale, stay tuned).

anyways, good changes on the way. Wish me luck. Will be posting some pics and what not once I get the dinos gone

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Got my Noopyschee lights today. Did the unpackaging, took the video as requested..but doesnt seem like a direct upload from my phone works. As such, I am going to try and find a way of getting my videos on the web (youtube) and post a link. Overall, I am pretty happy with what I am seeing. The only thing that caught me a little off guard is the size of the AC/DC converter. Approximate size of the converter is 6inch by 4 inches by 3 inch. Pretty big You will see me reference it in the video. Hopefully the light is outstanding and this is just one of those things I forget about immediatley.
Anyways, enjoy the unpacking video

obviously taking videos is not my strong suit

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Got my Noopyschee lights today. Did the unpackaging, took the video as requested..but doesnt seem like a direct upload from my phone works. As such, I am going to try and find a way of getting my videos on the web (youtube) and post a link. Overall, I am pretty happy with what I am seeing. The only thing that caught me a little off guard is the size of the AC/DC converter. Approximate size of the converter is 6inch by 4 inches by 3 inch. Pretty big You will see me reference it in the video. Hopefully the light is outstanding and this is just one of those things I forget about immediatley.
Anyways, enjoy the unpacking video

obviously taking videos is not my strong suit

OHH they gave you controller? Or you order it with?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back