48x24x24 mixed reef Hydra 32HD x2 or XR15 G5 x2

vhoang2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am building a new tank and looking for advice. Based on the tank size and mixed reef what would you recommend? TIA

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am building a new tank and looking for advice. Based on the tank size and mixed reef what would you recommend? TIA
You’ll get much better spread with the XR-15s with less shadowing so you could probably keep more sps in more places in the tank with longer success. Similar par output on both though. If you aren’t planning on as many sps and want to do more LPS/soft then the Hydras would do just fine. I have two Hydra 26HDs with 3DReefing Diffusers over my 4 ft tank and the coverage and the look is good and corals are doing very well. I’ll probably add a Illumagic vitamini at an angle once some of my acros start growing larger though to get rid of some shadows.

On another note, I do not like the disco effect of the Hydras without diffusors. By the time you buy two of those and the lights you are close to the XR-15 price anyway...

OP
OP
V

vhoang2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Should I be concerned about the issues reported by some on the loud fan etc of the XR15? Also will 2 of them cover the 4 ft tank?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Should I be concerned about the issues reported by some on the loud fan etc of the XR15? Also will 2 of them cover the 4 ft tank?

I would watch the Bulk Reef Supply YouTube videos regarding spread and PAR to ensure it will meet your specific tank needs, but give you are doing a mixed tank, I bet it will. Seems like 8” mounting height is ideal.

Regarding the fan noise, I have no personal experience with these lights myself. But the Hydras are SUPER quiet.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I believe only the early production models had fan issues. I upgraded from a Hydra 32HD to an XR15 G5 Blue. The spread on the XR15 is way better than the Hydra. I would still use a diffuser with the XR15.

They both sound about the same from my memory. I also like that XR15 can sit closer to the water and hence you don’t have to look at the pucks every time you look at the tank.

OP
OP
V

vhoang2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe only the early production models had fan issues. I upgraded from a Hydra 32HD to an XR15 G5 Blue. The spread on the XR15 is way better than the Hydra. I would still use a diffuser with the XR15.

They both sound about the same from my memory. I also like that XR15 can sit closer to the water and hence you don’t have to look at the pucks every time you look at the tank.
Thanks. Any chance you could share a pic of your set up?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
FC88FD90-6C5C-4AB0-AD95-C08EE7BAE816.jpeg

The light is slowly ramping up now. Hard to get a decent pic on the phony camera. You can see the light spread on my walls.

Below is a pic with the Hydra 32HD. The light falls on the wall much lower.

C26DD5AD-6F19-4FC4-83F6-E6045AF6EEEF.jpeg

OP
OP
V

vhoang2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Looks like you are using the RMS by Ecotech as well? So basically no adjustment needed to get set up?

Last edited:

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the amount and desired placement of SPS, you may want to go a bit bigger on the lights. Either Hydra 64’s or XR15’s. At 24” deep, it will be a stretch for the 32’s. I ran 2 Hydra 26HD’s for a few years on an 18” deep tank and they did great with SPS just at the top. Upgraded to the XR15 Blues last year and it’s really helped the whole tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back