4ft fish list

rowenaad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
360
Reaction score
197
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im planning to upgrade from my WB 20 + WB15 to a Cade 1200 penninsula (133g display/150g total) with a reef x 560 expansion (18 g).

Im taking fish from WB20 to main display and fish from WB15 to the expansion.

I’m planning to have these in the display

Existing:
  • Flagtail goby&pistol shrimp pair
  • Purple firefish
  • Tailspot blenny
  • Yellow striped cardinalfish
New:
  • Magnificent rabbitfish (hoping it would take care of bubble algae)
  • Twospot bristlefish
  • A tang from Zebrasoma: i think the yellow tang is the smallest from the genus but the price tag is terrifying tho i like their color. Purple tang has a much gentler price tag, but would it fit in this tank size and i heard they can be more aggressive?
  • Lyretail anthias group (1M3F)
  • Flasher wrasse: im leaning towards carpenter or royal
  • I would like a dragonnet or two if possible. Would this size sustain both a wrasse and one or two dragonnet? Im culturing pods and plan to have a refugium down the road
I love the look of hawkfish but i believe my current will all be in danger. I also love small fish even with larger size. I would still enjoy searching for them. I have a clam in tank so nippers are out.

Are 2 tangs + a rabbitfish excessive for this tank size? Is this list maxing out its capacity? Is there any other recommendations?
 
Nice list for a 4ft setup. I’d just be careful not to overstock and make sure the fish have enough swimming space and compatible temperaments. Adding them gradually will also give the system time to adjust.
 
Hello im planning to upgrade from my WB 20 + WB15 to a Cade 1200 penninsula (133g display/150g total) with a reef x 560 expansion (18 g).

Im taking fish from WB20 to main display and fish from WB15 to the expansion.

I’m planning to have these in the display

Existing:
  • Flagtail goby&pistol shrimp pair
  • Purple firefish
  • Tailspot blenny
  • Yellow striped cardinalfish
New:
  • Magnificent rabbitfish (hoping it would take care of bubble algae)
  • Twospot bristlefish
  • A tang from Zebrasoma: i think the yellow tang is the smallest from the genus but the price tag is terrifying tho i like their color. Purple tang has a much gentler price tag, but would it fit in this tank size and i heard they can be more aggressive?
  • Lyretail anthias group (1M3F)
  • Flasher wrasse: im leaning towards carpenter or royal
  • I would like a dragonnet or two if possible. Would this size sustain both a wrasse and one or two dragonnet? Im culturing pods and plan to have a refugium down the road
I love the look of hawkfish but i believe my current will all be in danger. I also love small fish even with larger size. I would still enjoy searching for them. I have a clam in tank so nippers are out.

Are 2 tangs + a rabbitfish excessive for this tank size? Is this list maxing out its capacity? Is there any other recommendations?
Hawkfish and Zebrasoma (either species but especially purple) is a bad idea in that tank. A long-nosed hawk won't eat your small fish unlike a flame but might still bully other fish, especially wrasses.
I would only consider a dragonet if you find one that is already accepting frozen foods or pellets.
Have you considered Nemanthias species instead, ie dispar or Bartlett's? They tend to do better than lyretails and have less risk of them killing eachother.
You could definitely do a few more wrasses in that tank. Fairies, small Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon or Pseudocheilinus (not sixlines) are good options.
 
I personally wouldn’t get a Purple Tang for a tank that size.
Hawkfish and Zebrasoma (either species but especially purple) is a bad idea in that tank.
Thanks. For whatever reason i had the impression purple tang is of a similar size as yellow tang but is indeed much larger, so that's completely out of the picture. Even yellow tang becomes a question mark now loll, but i guess the rabbitfish and bristletooth tang would be enough as for algae control?

Have you considered Nemanthias species instead, ie dispar or Bartlett's? They tend to do better than lyretails and have less risk of them killing eachother.
Bartlett's come expensive where i live, so im choosing between dispar and lyretail and read lyretail is the hardier of the two, but i would jump ship in no time if dispar is not much more work but more peaceful.

You could definitely do a few more wrasses in that tank. Fairies, small Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon or Pseudocheilinus (not sixlines) are good options.
thats good to hear. i would love a few more wrasses esp the leopard wrasse but do they fall under the same care requirements as a dragonet?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new