4x7 frag tank build

zerokewl

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
13
Location
Mississippi
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a 4’x7’x15” frag tank to go in my greenhouse I scored some 3/4 PVC boards I’m building it out of . Assembling them together with Weldon 16 and screws I plan to do the inner seams with a bead of Weldon 16 and possibly black silicone

I’m debating on if I should make it an all in one with a 1x8 filtration area or just go with a traditional sump . I’m leaning towards the AIO as I think it will house anything I ever want to run and be simpler . I’m more of a less is more hands off reefer


I’m going to need to also either do a 2” euro brace on it or maybe a wood 2x4 lip/surround ? As it does have some slight bowing even without water . But I’m not sure how a euro brace would work on an AIO tank Google fails me

Looking for constructive suggestions, tips , tricks

att.aKZMdDis5lPnksc2571T2QdB4AW-fEt7nJTU0IKyxCE.jpeg
 
I'm interested to see how it turns out! Unfortunately, no tips at the moment
 
I'm curious to see how this turns out as well!
 
Following. Won’t those boards flex severely?
Having build with this material in the past, yes, it is quite flexible. As OP mentions a euro brace around the tank might be able to keep the flex in check. Otherwise a wooden frame would also likely be a suitable solution. I'd probably lean towards the wooden frame around the whole thing to relieve stress on the seams.
 
Having build with this material in the past, yes, it is quite flexible. As OP mentions a euro brace around the tank might be able to keep the flex in check. Otherwise a wooden frame would also likely be a suitable solution. I'd probably lean towards the wooden frame around the whole thing to relieve stress on the seams.
Lots of floor drains with a nice 6” drain would be good to have before filling.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new