OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny that if you know the right people you can find deals on everything in this hobby. I hope I do see the day that people price stuff at reasonable prices.

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize there are plenty of expensive fish out there. It wasn't my point. To me clownfish are common fish, so it's hard to pay much for one. I'd pay
more for fish I want like a Swallowtail Angel.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize there are plenty of expensive fish out there. It wasn't my point. To me clownfish are common fish, so it's hard to pay much for one. I'd pay
more for fish I want like a Swallowtail Angel.

Yeah I know that’s what you meant. Was just posting about some of the really outrageous prices.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. Black Tang off the list, lol

I'd honestly judge it to be the least attractive of the zebrasomas .... well, maybe the scopas is less attractive. Purple, yellow or Desjardini every time. Get some change back from your $$$$ too.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I might be wrong. Maybe it's just they always look faded or have some type of issue with their color, markings etc.

I had a Zebrasoma rostratum years ago when I lived in NC. When I got it HLLE was already present but 2 years later you would never know it had issues. I feed so many different varieties of food which I think was the key to reversing the HLLE. It was about 5 inches when I got it and about 7.5 when I sold it. I will admit that when I first got it I didn’t understand what all the fuss was about but after it recovered...stunning jet black with bright white scalpels and it would display some blue tinting between the dorsal fin and body at times.
I thought about getting another for my new tank but decided on a Gem instead. I do miss my black tang.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think buying a fish like that would break any of us, however the fact it cost so much makes me lose interest in it. Zebrasoma's can also be bred in captivity, which would make be believe it is inevitable for the higher end ones to catch the eye of breeders. Do you guys remember when lightning maroons were on eBay for $5k? Now you can get one for under a $100.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is probably my favorite of all my fish.6 inches jet black and no hlle.you really have to own one to truly appreciate the beauty of this fish.before I had mine I thought they were just an expensive black fish. that being said I could not see paying $800+ for one.i got the buddy deal for $400 when he was about 5 inches.that's about the max I think they are worth.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh believe me I have a hard time paying anything over $250 for a fish. Even @ $250 I do have to question whether I really want that fish. I was absolutely considering getting it from him, but yeah the $$$ can be used in other areas for my tank; i.e. equipment, supplies, etc.

Also, I am not one to get a somewhat rarer fish to show it off either. I do it for my own enjoyment. Not about "who has the best fish/coral" to me. If that is the reason anyone is in the hobby, you gotta ask are you truly hobbyist or a collector of things.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get gems around that price point these days and they are a much nicer fish IMO. The black tangs look nice when small but look kinda gross when they’re older (blotchy, paler, etc).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd honestly judge it to be the least attractive of the zebrasomas .... well, maybe the scopas is less attractive.
But the hybrid of the two is a different story for me. ;Drool

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 6 to 7 inch black tang for around $600. They are very nice fish, mine is extremely mellow. It's just as black as the Gem Tang I have. I think as long as they get fed a lot of seaweed and vitamin enriched frozen they will keep their nice jet black color. As they aged they do get that silvery/white mark that outlines the top of their body. I had never had a black tang before and kind of thought the way some others have said about other tangs being nicer and cheaper, but now that I have one and see it every day I really enjoy having it.

Back